would you accept Dennis Bergkamp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

denis bergkamp at spurs

• yes

Votes: 57 64.0%
  • no

Votes: 32 36.0%

• Total voters
If frank de boar was to be recurited would you accept Bergkamp as part of that package. I for one would if he's half as good as coach as he was player then we'd be mad to pass over.

He's Spurs, innit?
Doubt it'll happen though... hasn't he already been earmarked by THEM as a future coach!
Whatever happens, you just know if he came here, he'd be the 'Hoddle' version of 'Great player, shocking coach' ...whereas if he went there, he would of course be the returning Messiah, and lead them to the Quintuplet (...don't worry, they'll invent a 5th Trophy especially so they can be the first club in History to win all 5 with a returning player as Ultimate Manager Champion!)

don't even torture yourself with such a conundrum... de Boer isn't coming, and even if he did (which he isn't) I just couldn't see Bergkamp coming with him (which he won't not have to, 'cos de Boer isn't coming!)

Did I mention de Boer isn't coming??

I don't hate him enough to mind if he joined the coaching staff at a new manager's request. Wouldn't seek him out particularly though. Fuck, Les Ferdinand is our fucking striker coach at the moment, Bergkamp could probably do some good.

The short answer to the question is yes.

But the more likely senario should we the lucky enough to capture De Boer is that Bergkamp would be made Head Coach of Ajax and De Boer bringing with him Hennie Spijkerman.

What would also be exciting prospect is him bringing with him Jaap Stam as deffensive coach!!!!

I missed the bit where Bergkamp has proven himself a top class coach...

Time and time again it's been shown that excellent players don't necessarily make top coaches (or managers). If that was the case then why not go the whole hog and hire Tony FAAAACKING Adams as defensive coach and forget that his management career involved overseeing some of the worst club defending ever witnessed.

Nothing against Bergkamp really, he's one of the least offensive gooners out there but I don't see why he'd be a great coach.

Time and time again it's been shown that excellent players don't necessarily make top coaches (or managers). If that was the case then why not go the whole hog and hire Tony FAAAACKING Adams as defensive coach and forget that his management career involved overseeing some of the worst club defending ever witnessed.
My observation is that the better coaches and managers seem to be those that were much more limited as players.

I think without the outrigth natural ability of say Hoddle, players of lesser ability have to think more, watch more, pay more attention to coaching, even work harder. And as a result they have a more academic understanding of the game and ability to convey that to other people.

Someone of raw natural ability just doesnt have to think about it all, and would then struggle to explain how and why they do what they do...

I also observe that the better managers are defenders. I wonder if its because they spend 15+ years with the game in front of them?

This is of course speaking in generatlities, there will be plenty of exceptions

Back
Top Bottom