Wolves (A) - Saturday 11th November 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You have to watch the incentives.

There’s no doubt that officials who are trying to pay a mortgage and maximise their careers want to avoid the negative publicity that you get if you give a decision against Liverpool and woolwich. UTD and Chelsea too. These clubs have the media power to pretty much ruin an officials reputation.

But that doesn’t explain 4 teams in a row not getting booked against us until the 95th minute or Maddison getting hacked out of the game vs Chelsea despite only playing 45mins. That could never happen to Salah. That foul by Dawson on Son could never happen to Salah.

That’s where you either bury your head in the sand and say “it’s just the way it goes” or “these things even out”… or you ask the difficult questions.

A ref can’t kick a ball and could never fully fix a game but they can fully decide which team gets to play with more aggression. Ultimately, you have to be good enough to win despite any official but the run of games since Liverpool has made me think in a completely different way. I’d say my faith in things “evening out” is hanging by a thread.
I read this and genuinely think What's the point in even trying to support a club who is NEVER gonna have the global appeal/status/INFLUENCE of a Liverpool/Man Utd, or the newly found financial clout of City or Chelsea... Or the moany online/celebrity 'influencers' of Woolwich...

We really are just 'the rest of them'...

Almost, but not quite...

Dier and Davies playing their preferred football would be like watching the 3 stooges. Neither of them are good enough for a top half premier league team. I don't think either ever have been.
They're both far too reactive in matches. Actually, it's worse than that, as they don't even react in most cases. Back off, stand up, hope for the best.
They'll get blocks and deflections in, but they don't hunt the ball and they don't move to make tackles. They let opposition players come at them and even then it's probably less than 50/50 they'll try to make a tackle rather than just hope that being in the way is enough.
Maths not your strong point then?
:dier: :dierno:

I'm joking, I get your point, though I wouldn't say neither are good enough for a Top half PL team, maybe not top 6...
but I could definitely imagine them holding their own at plenty of other clubs that play slightly different defensive tactics...

Just not ours!

Saw this over the weekend.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/coys/s/n6ROQiuobN

Dier is a statue and Hojbjerg is criminally out of position.

Sonny is missing on that 'Off the Ball' chart, safe to assume he's the one pressing the highest, but then it's Hojbjerg. Not Kulu or Johnson, who was pretty lazy on that front. Unfortunately for Hoj, it's so damn easy to go round/past him...but obviously doesn't help when the press isn't coordinated.

Dier's volume is so utterly ridiculous. I mean compare it to Big Ben's. And whenever I call him lazy and a coward, I get stick...okay. Just friggin get rid!!!

With the ball we were so not brave enough. I mean our positioning was ass to begin with...how you gonna trouble Wolves when everyone's about the halfway line?

Well if this thread is still going let's remember a great day v Wolves.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrnPtA5VMO0

Thanks for that.... Genuinely thanks!

That '81/'82 season was one of the best Spurs teams in living memory.... it was 'my Spurs Team' .... Promoted back only a few seasons before, here we were genuinely competing for trophies!

I'd add the more recent Poch 2016-19 squads to that in terms of quality, but we didn't even have a trophy to show for it...

We went for the LOT that season, and 'only' came away with the FA Cup... which, back then was still summit to be proud of, rather than the ridicule and 'shame' of missing out on the other trophies would no doubt get today!

Annoyingly, as in 2019, Liverpool seemed to be the difference between glory in 1982, and almost, but not quite!

FUCKERS!

Maths not your strong point then?
:dier: :dierno:

I'm joking, I get your point, though I wouldn't say neither are good enough for a Top half PL team, maybe not top 6...
but I could definitely imagine them holding their own at plenty of other clubs that play slightly different defensive tactics...

Just not ours!
Thing is, in the top 10 as at now, I'd say only west ham are defensive.
And I'm not convinced a player like Dier, who always has a brain fart, and lacks the ability to actually win the ball is even suited to a low block.
If he's your last line of defence, God help the keeper.

thesun.uk

One wrote: "Crazy how Tottenham returned to factory settings with Davies and Dier partnership."

While another added: "If any CB partnership in the PL was going to achieve this it was definitely gonna be Dier and Davies.

"The drop in quality from Romero and VDV to them is absolutely absurd the more I think about it lmao."

Other fans suggested that Tottenham were exceeding their level for the first portion of the season anyway and have now returned to their usual selves.

One wrote: "Spurs DNA finally got to Ange ball."

thesun.uk

One wrote: "Crazy how Tottenham returned to factory settings with Davies and Dier partnership."

While another added: "If any CB partnership in the PL was going to achieve this it was definitely gonna be Dier and Davies.

"The drop in quality from Romero and VDV to them is absolutely absurd the more I think about it lmao."

Other fans suggested that Tottenham were exceeding their level for the first portion of the season anyway and have now returned to their usual selves.

If there's one thing less relevant than an article in The Sun, it's the comments section of an article from The Sun...

Saw this over the weekend.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/coys/s/n6ROQiuobN

Dier is a statue and Hojbjerg is criminally out of position.

How do they work out this stat?

In possession we are more compact than out of possession? That goes against all football coaching.
And son in possession is outside their box then disappears altogether while Dier is standing in the penalty spot.
And when we haven’t got the ball Vicario travels further forward than Dier?

Bit of a weird graphic if you ask me.

thesun.uk

I hate bullshit like this.

It is exactly the reason why Ange demands constantly on the front foot. The mentality of this club is weak as piss and we need to take some risks and grow a pair

I hate bullshit like this.

It is exactly the reason why Ange demands constantly on the front foot. The mentality of this club is weak as piss and we need to take some risks and grow a pair

Those quotes are from twitter etc.; not the club.... Nor the fiilth at The Sun.

Last edited:
The problem here though is that we have averaged just 2 goals per game. In the top 8, only 1 team has averaged less - a very poor Man United.
I was worried about this 2 goals per game thing weeks ago tbh. Given the level of dominance we saw in most games, "only" scoring 2, and often having to work hard for them (no goals at 90 minutes vs Sheff United for example) was a concerning trend.
Yes I posted something similar. We have not exactly been banging them in and have a few games by the odd goal.

Our attacking prowess was definitely being overstated at one point, the only game we really did some damage in was Burnley, and that we only actually won by 3 goals.

The football is nicer on the eye no doubt, but I was promised we'd be going for the throat until the final whistle, and am yet to really see this.
Same here I often don’t see us keep going and then like b Fulham or palace they get a goal and we are then holding on.

I agree. This is why City, Liverpool and the other team from north london are always attacking and scoring goals, no matter what. They don´t score one goal and them keep waiting until the end of the match.
100%. Dippers always keep going they never let the pace and intensity drop. We score and then go into this slow motion doing very little with the ball except for some MADDs magic. No that his not playing not sure where those moments are coming from.

Back
Top Bottom