Why we should care about making top 4

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because you get £40M for being in the top 4. Which is all we're concerned with.

:levywtf:

And we would have got an additional £10 million if we had progressed last night which makes Levy’s reluctance to sack Cunte all the more bizarre on a scale of sacking Jose days before a cup final!

I care about Top 4. But if we lived in this hypothetical world of either making Top 4 every season, failing to win anything, playing Conte’s wankball and finding myself preferring to punch myself in the nuts instead of watching us play OR fail to consistently finish in the Top 4, but we play attractive, direct, enjoyable football that’ll make me look forward to watching us play then I’ll vote for that every day of the week.

I care about Top 4. But if we lived in this hypothetical world of either making Top 4 every season, failing to win anything, playing Conte’s wankball and finding myself preferring to punch myself in the nuts instead of watching us play OR fail to consistently finish in the Top 4, but we play attractive, direct, enjoyable football that’ll make me look forward to watching us play then I’ll vote for that every day of the week.
We usually want top 4 because of the money that UCL brings in along with a chance to play Europe' strongest teams.

However, that money never gets spent on what we need... they just use it for Go Karts.

We usually want top 4 because of the money that UCL brings in along with a chance to play Europe' strongest teams.

However, that money never gets spent on what we need... they just use it for Go Karts.
I thought F1 were paying for the Go Karts? ...but I know what you mean.

I don't give a damn about top 4 anymore, in fact as enic are relying on it for more money I'm kind of against it happening just to spite them, that's how much I loathe them. Anyway what is the point? There isn't a hope in hell we can win the thing at this time. Also the money isn't used for CL players anyway - another myth. There is more chance of a trophy in the ropey in all honesty. We should prioritise a trophy from this point on, if enic want to charge silly money they need to give the fans something back. Listening to a bit of fancy music and pretending we're some sort of champions won't do. Levy's idea of us being in a ESL seems even more farcical now, the guy has got ideas way above his status, which is about 4'8" I think.

We should care about it.
But as our owners are only interested in the money it brings to the coffers, and not using it as a springboard to improve our football team and win trophies then quite frankly, until they fuck off, I couldn't give a shit
I agree...until they fuck off theres no point.
I dont care about fucking go karts in the south stand
I want the team to improve not rely on duds like Dier and Sanchez

Until we ship out the old guard, who have years of accumulated mental fragility caused by repeated, sustained failure, we won’t win jack shit. Ultimately that also includes Levy, but he’s not my focus this moment.

Sell Harry Kane. I’ve resisted that thought for a long, long time, but last night broke me. The players rely on him to pull the rabbit out of the bag time and again and he is not able to do it in vital games. A phenomenal footballer - possibly our best ever - who is the victim of a poorly run outfit, but also a contributor to it’s continuous flakiness. He’s become the figurehead of failure, unfairly and, sad to say, fairly when one considers how many times he’s been involved in substandard performances in vital games.

He moves to another club where failure does not have a nefarious hold on the club mentality in the same way that it does with ours and possibly achieves his dream silverware in a nurturing win-at-all-cost culture. We lose his phenomenal talent and abundant goals, but we also shed the figurehead of failure. We no longer have players relying on him to pull the ace out of the sleeve. They have to carve their own success and it gives us air to start a new project with a clear vision not built around one player but a team.

With him, out go Davies, Dier, Lloris and Sanchez. These guys are also victims and perpetrators of failure. Now clearly battered into mental submission by years of absent success, they have demonstrated again and again that they simply do not have what it takes. Lloris, yes on the international stage, but not at Spurs, where I’d argue that he’s been an ineffective Captain all things considered.

In the case of Sonny, I think he is on the slide and that’s why I’d like to see him sold. Maybe my favourite player since Hoddle, it pains me to say this. It really does. Even if he does still have ‘it’, I think now is a good time to sell and reinvest in a younger gun or two.

In with the new, the hungry, the ambitious; young footballers who do not have this culture of failure draining their lifeblood like kryptonite. The ones eager to prove themselves and work their arses off. Skipp, Sarr, Udogie, Gil and Bentancur etc. No, they’re not Kane or vintage Sonny, but they’re the ones I want to watch and they’re the ones who still have a chance of success at Spurs, unburdened by the old guard’s smog.

Burn the phoenix and watch a new one grow.

*I am currently a quite inebriated so may rethink all this in a sober moment. But I suspect I might not.

I think most of us have realised all the so called benefits that the club would get was just talk and has actually meant no change in the way things are run . I think a lot of of getting top four was about who we kept out of it like last year the goons meant there we made more of it than it really meant in terms of progress on the pitch for ourselves .

I just want to see us connected to the club as a fanbase, enjoy what we see on the pitch and look forward to games eaach week.

If that means we finish 8th every year, so be it. If it means we finish top 4 every year, so be it.

I just want to see us connected to the club as a fanbase, enjoy what we see on the pitch and look forward to games eaach week.

If that means we finish 8th every year, so be it. If it means we finish top 4 every year, so be it.
I think we should have higher expectations than that tbh. But so long as we have owners who's only motivation is profit and making money, the fan base as a whole will never feel connected.
We should all want to qualify for the Champions League. But not for the reason that motivates our owners.

I think we should have higher expectations than that tbh. But so long as we have owners who's only motivation is profit and making money, the fan base as a whole will never feel connected.
We should all want to qualify for the Champions League. But not for the reason that motivates our owners.

Depends what you want as a fan.

I could have easily went and supported Man Utd growing up. I didn't. I supported a team that who on average finished 10th every season, but at least we tried to play good football and had an exciting array of talent mixed in.

I want to feel connected to this club again and the players. How Redknapp made us all feel after the disaster of Ramos. How Pochettino made us feel after the AVB and Sherwood debacle.

I think most of us have realised all the so called benefits that the club would get was just talk and has actually meant no change in the way things are run . I think a lot of of getting top four was about who we kept out of it like last year the goons meant there we made more of it than it really meant in terms of progress on the pitch for ourselves .
It was absolutely bullshit. Pure and simple bullshit.
Just like the bullshit that the new stadium would propel us into Europe's elite.
It's just so staggering so many fans drank it in and a few are still gagging for even more.

We are Europa League level.

We only got out of the group because the other 3 teams were also Europa League level.

I don't really care about being in the CL now because we won't do well and it's not even entertaining. That said, I prefer to avoid Thursday nights and not being in it gives Levy more ammo to penny pinch.

Couldn't care less. In fact, if you offered me 8th this season, I'd take it with both hands. I'd rather have one game per week, than make a clown of ourselves like we did last night or even worse, play thursday/sunday.

Because top players want to play in the top competition.
Then why the fuck didn't they try harder last night when they still WERE in it, to STAY IN IT?

The premier league is the top competition these days. Not sure there is player a Prem can’t get without CL
Utd, Woolwich have signed pretty good players recently without CL football. It can be done, players will go if the wages are right. In fact many players will go to a non CL club if they can get a higher wage.
It's funny, all those years we WEREN'T in the CL, the main reason cited by players we were after - but didn't sign - was that they wanted to play CL football (and hear the silly poxy "anthem") ...that's why Man Utd, Chelsea, Arse, Liverpool and latterly Man City had an edge over us...

When we WERE in the CL, we still can't sign everyone we want, and CL football is no longer a necessity.... MONEY IS!

We could provide CL football for the last few years, but not the wages to match it!

There's yer problem!

Back
Top Bottom