Why I am here?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dad took me on a independant spurs supporters bus to see my first ever game at WHL. Think it was roughly 94/95 ish. There was singing and spurs vhs played all the way down, it was great!

We were home against Leeds, and I'm sure there was quite an edge to the atmosphere! I remember being both intimidated and exhilirated as I took my first steps into the stadium.

Dont remember huge amounts about the game except Brian Deane scored first and euther Anderton or David Howells equalised.

My dad told a linesman to get the fuck out of his way! :dembelelol:

Was knackered on the way back but the singing kept me awake and kept me going. Fell asleep as soon as I got home, but dreamt good things. One of the best days of my life.

Hooked ever since

Not much of a story. Every kid was loving United, Woolwich, Liverpool (Chelsea came along after too) and I wanted to be different. One of my dad friends was working in London at that time and he got me into it, brought me a kit and stuff. Can't thank him enough.

My grandad used to watch the push and run side in the 50s , my dad watched the double side of the 60s with him. My first game my dad took me to qpr at home in 1981. We lost. Then the Swansea game, as we were walking away from the west stand we bumped into my dads cousin from Swansea who was up at the game.

Remember going up the lane with my dad in the car and stopped at traffic lights with 3 lanes of cars. Spurs cup final song came on the radio and every one in their cars were bouncing around singing it. Surreal moment realising everyone st the lights were yids.

Worst moment was walking down Wembley way with my old man after the final whistle at the 87 cup final. You could hear a pin drop on the tube train.

Best moment was watching us lift the cup in 91 after Gaza’s scare. When he did his leg and they scored I said to me dad that’s it we’ve lost again. He said don’t worry son the team that scores first always looses the cup final. We will win.

Wish some fans had his belief in spurs nowadays.

Last edited:
My Dad passed away in September 2017. I found out recently from his older brother (my uncle obvs) that in his early teens he actually went to watch Arse first a couple of time (lived in Archway).

Apparently there was some 'trouble' (I read that as dirty scum now) there and my Grandad forbade him to go to Highbury anymore but was ok with him going with his mates to WHL so that's where he went. And from that I became a Spurs fan as are my daughters (sort of).

It's funny really the close margins, I grew up nearer the scum ground than WHL but now the thought that I could be worshipping some c**t who slaps on a children's toy mask after he scores a goal frankly send a shiver down my spine.

My grandma died on 26th December 1960 and my Grandad came to live with us. He used to do the football pools and we watched the football results every Saturday afternoon. He got me interested in football. Tottenham, Wolves or Sheffield Wednesday were the teams going for the first division title. Tottenham were the nearest team to me and so I started supporting them. Watching the 1961 cup final on TV was the first time I saw them play. My older cousin took me to see my first match at WHL in 1963 against Burnley. It was not until I passed my driving test and was mobile that I was able to go regularily in 1970,
So the first year I supported them we won the double.
I was born in 1961, but not till October, so due to my parents' poor copulation and gestation timing skills I have never been alive when we have won the league.

Thanks a million mum and dad

*Shakes angry fist heaven-wards then feels bad and sheepishly says sorry*

I didn't have a club until I was maybe 9 years old. I was terrible at football then, and didn't get much better with age. Never the less, when one of the popular kids cornered me in the playground and asked me "So, who do you support then?" I looked down and noticed he was wearing a 'Spurs Magic' badge.

"Spurs?" I said.

"Good man" he said.

I remember that, but obviously wasn't a proper Spurs fan at the time as don't remember our 1984 UEFA Cup win. Probably my first real memory of Spurs was the disappointment of the 1987 FA Cup final, which is probably quite fitting given the following 20 years.

In the early 2000s I would frequent a bar in Hoboken, New Jersey called McSwiggans. They had 2 bartenders, Paul and Steve, from north London. Paul and Steve were big Tottenham fans and if I could come in an talk a little Casey Keller, Darren Anderton and others with them, more free beers would show up in front of me. I eventually started watching some games with them at the bar across the street. I've been Spurs ever since.

Interesting to read everyone's stories and the tiny twists of fate that end up causing such a big part of your life, a bit like how people end up meeting their wife/husband.

Mine was quite simple. Dad was/is a very loyal, home and away, yid. He grew up 5 mins walk from the Lane, so became Spurs even though his dad was a gooner from Islington! When I got into football as a kid, I never thought about which team to support, there was no decision, I was just Spurs. Now I live walking distance from the ground myself, and try and get to all home and domestic aways, plus one Euro trip a year.

Too many memories to recount, but my first game was incredibly Spursy so I will recount that...last game of the season around 92, we were 3-0 up at Everton at half time. I said to my dad, we should win now, shouldn't we? My dad said, I'm not sure, you never know with Spurs. Ended 3-3!

Highlights- if I'm honest- have been the two trophy wins I've seen (the two league cups), watching us win away at Woolwich (3-2), the 4-4, watching us win at United twice, the 3-2 Bale game at West Ham, the 3-1 at Palace when we were going for the league and Dele scored that screamer, and going to watch us in weird and interesting places like Baku, Donetsk, Tromso, and others.

Grew up in Tottenham around Bruce Grove and went to St Francis school across the road from the ground so there was only one team I was ever going to support. Everyone at school was Spurs. My dad had lived in Highbury with his brothers before he married my mum and used to go to Woolwich one week and WHL the next. Once I got into football I made sure it was Spurs all the way for him. First game at home to Stoke in 1972. Will never forget that first sight of the pitch and the sound of the crowd that day. Too many great memories but the ticker tape reception for Ardiles and Villa in their first home game against Aston Villa stands out. The 1982 quarter final at Chelsea was another amazing day - 14,000 of us taking the piss. Fell out of the habit a little bit in the 90s but love it more than ever these days.

Posters that have been around for a while are probably bored by my story. But as you asked, dad was a Chelsea fan, watched the 67 cup final with him and he must have done something to upset me, so I supported the other side. Luckily for me Spurs won. Following season, I just watched out for the results in the paper. But then my next door neighbour took me and his daughter to WHL for the first time, and I was hooked from the minute I walked into the ground. Can't explain why, but all I know is that if I loved my exes is much as I love Spurs, they wouldn't be exes!
The smallest things matter. We never supported our team for glory. Well we had some? I should have been a red considering my family but am so fucking glad I am Tottenham.

I really like your Spurs history. I hope some more will share.

Not even sure, started young. Non of my family are spurs but we live fairly local (Buckhurst hill) so I guess that’s why. Most people when I was younger were either gooners or pikeys here, thank god im a yid

My Dad is Watford, my mum is Spurs. Got into football at age 8, after watching Italia 90. Decided it was time to follow more seriously, and had a choice to make.

Gazza and Lineker played for Spurs. Easy choice.

When we were relegated a lot of my "Spurs" mates switched to other teams, not me though.

In my primary school I had a mate that was Charlton, then turned Spurs and bought the kit that I had (diagonal pinstripes).....I had the all white one, and he had the navy shorts. Even aged 9 or 10 I never took him seriously....another one was paid a tenner by his uncle to change from Liverpool to Millwall, lol fair enough

I remember people would see me in a Spurs top and (grown men) and say "aaaahhh everyones a Spurs fan now"...Id say Ive always been Spurs, and they'd be like "yeah yeah"

I had no idea what they were fucking on about, but must have been around the time we won the Europa and were massive, weirdly I dont remember that final even though I was 8, but I distinctly remember watching Spurs on tv around that age, and crying my eyes out in the 87 Final.

I made that up. I just liked the name. When I lived in the grim north I loosely followed Wednesday. We came back down here and I latched on to the Hotspur bit.

Yes I remember the bell ringing Man City fan, didn't know it was a she until now.
Remember all that other stuff too, apart from the John Pratt corner.
Certain things will stick in my mind until my dying day, and far too many to list here. But just a few for now.....
Glenn's goals against Watford away and Oxford at home.
Stevie's goals against Milan and Woolwich :) and his sending off against Watford :( (always hated Kenny Jackett after that).
Garth Crooks coming straight towards me in the north bank after he scored against Wolves in the semi final in 1981.
First time at Wembley against Man City, what a great feeling, never thinking that I would be sick of the sight of the place nearly 30 years later.
Going abroad for the first time in 1982 to watch us against Ajax, travelling independently with The Magic Bus Company, using coaches and ferries to get over to Amsterdam, staying in a hostel in the red light district for two nights, for the princely sum of £24 for the whole package.
Going to stop now as I'll be writing a book!

You should. There are very few football books written from a female perspective. Obviously the highlight would be meeting yours truly.

At the time you only got cup finals live plus home internationals(England,Scotland,Wales & N.Ireland) cup final day was the Scottish one and half time got highlights of the English cup final! But the 81 final was shown live in Scotland the following Thursday the replay,I think? Was the first English game I watched from start to finish ant that was that Tottenham Hotspur. Liverpool were well supported where I'm from plus the local team under Ferguson Aberdeen were at their peak but nope Spurs for me and from 81-84 were great then it kinda went pear shaped I've drifted in and out over the years early 90s were a blur but when Klinsmann rocked up 95-99 that was another purple patch for me! Early naughties got lost but found my faith again from the late naughties and never wavered this time stuck with it and now at times all consuming but hey fuck there's worse things that could take over my life.....;)

I was indoctrinated like most others by the old man.
Incidentally, my earliest football memory was Sniffer Clarke scoring against Woolwich in the 72 final.

Back
Top Bottom