Why I am here?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have no actual defining moment that I can call on as to why I supported Spurs. I grew up in Potters Bar and there seemed to be loads of Spurs fans around, most of my mates at school seemed to support them, although my best friend at the time was massive Chelsea fan (an entire family, several generations, all ST holders). By the age of 7 I was football mad, although the vast majority of live games at the time I saw were with my mates Chav family (fantastic memories nonetheless, his Grandad had a Jensen Interceptor, if I close my eyes I can still smell the leather now. We would all cram into the car and head over to Stamford Bridge via a Pub in Little Venice).

In addition to mainly going to Chelsea at this time, I was taken to about 4 or 5 Tottenham games per season by a mates Dad, who was a Season ticket holder in East Stand (upper). I think this was '74/'75/'76.

My true lightning bolt moment, when I fell in love with the game and Spurs (when the obsession started) came in 1978, the Argentine World Cup was the like I've never seen and then of cause us signing Ossie and Ricky only a couple of weeks later, I was ten. My profile pic has me (behind the copper) chucking ticker tape welcoming Ossie & Ricky to The Lane. This day was amazing, with at least 15 of us (school mates, Dad's, Uncles, Mums, local Cafe owner, next door neighbour etc.) all left in convoy to Tottenham (my Chav supporting family were all there, just to see Ossie & Ricky!!).

Moved that year or the following to Enfield, where I came into contact with the scum for the first time. Lived in North London for most of my life (Edmonton, Palmers Green, Enfield, Winchmore Hill & Tottenham) with a few stints abroad, but Tottenham has been the one true constant in my life, from boy to man, I like that and I can't ever see that changing.

Up The Spurs!

Last edited:
Grew up in Thamesmead, born in Woolwich Mother and Babies (long since demolished) and my mum was a nurse at The Brook.
Extended family, thankfully, were from Wood Green, Edmonton and Finsbury Park, so my brother started to go to Spurs with my cousins and we'd be up there a lot.

As a kid I remember looking at this kit hanging in his cupboard

01_81HOME-00002.jpg

Still can see how silky it was, and how rich the navy looked against the white. I got all his hand me downs, and never looked back, started around 6 I think........42 now.

It's funny over here, my mum was a long standing United fan right from pre-Munich times, my dad was an Everton fan because his aunt used to date an Everton player and knew Dixie Dean.
My eldest brother was Leeds because he was a glory hunting cunt and it was the Don Revie days, the next brother was a Chelsea fan mainly because of Peter Osgood, but he got bored with them being shit and took up Crystal Palace when El Tel was there and they were "the team of the Eighties", my youngest brother was United like mum, but magically became a Liverpool fan overnight when they won the European Cup...something for which he has got terrible abuse for ever since United knocked them off their perch.
My eldest brother tried to indoctrinate me into being a Leeds fan, which worked for a while until I realised what a horrible bunch of cunts they were, I then spent a few years in a teamless wilderness until the 78 World Cup which was the first one I really took an interest in.....and the rest as they say is history...

In 1961 I was a 7 yr old boy watching the FA Cup final
Us v Leicester

Bobby Smith scored in the 2nd half
Followed by Dyson

Couldn’t believe the scenes

Hooked ever since

The year was around 2001-2002. Most of the other guys on my youth team were either United, Liverpool or Woolwich fans. I wanted to root for a different team (or might have been that in some form of childish fit I "wasn't allowed" to since there were so many fans of previously mentioned teams already, or some form of dumb rule amongst our group of friends). So I picked Spurs honestly not even knowing much about them at the age of 11. Erik Edman joining us in 2004 probably helped solidify my alliance a fair bit since it gave me a Swedish player to connect with like how all my gooner friends had Ljungberg. The bomb at Anfield helped as well.

Fast forward to now and here I am.

Last edited:
I was taken over there as a kid (about 9 or 10 years old) by my mum and dad and their mates. That would have been 1977 or 1978.
Man, did I love Spurs, I was Spurs mad. I loved Spurs, I still do. I still find it really painful when Spurs fans criticise Spurs players, especially at matches. Why go and criticise your own players ?
We had season tickets in the West stand. We stood in the north corner. Oddly, whenever we played Man City there was always a female Man City fan who used to ring a bell non stop. Does anyone else remember that ?

When they knocked down the West stand they moved us season ticket holders to the middle of the middle tier of the shelf. After that I never wanted to stand anywhere else again.

Things that stick in my mind from supporting Spurs:
The crush at Hillsborough, the game where Hibbitt dived, it was genuinely terrifying.
Ardiles doing that flick trick.
John Pratt scoring from a corner.
Matt Le Tissier terrorising us.

None of my family are spurs, but my earliest memory is the 84 I think league cup final vs Liverpool.. that lot that won everything and that every one in Britain seemed to support...i didn't want to copy but I liked the spurs kit that day. I was only 6, they lost that day but I was hooked from there on...perhaps I just loved to be tortured from the start LMAO... i remember football being more enjoyable then but that could just be nostalgia of being young lol...
COYS

How did I become a Spurs fan....fate I guess.

Back in 1980/81, I was about 5 or 6 and my parents had given me one of those league table charts where you could move the teams up and down every week depending on the results, similar to the below.

88-89+Shoot1988SetUnused.jpg

I saw the name "TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR", and thought that was the best football team name ever. That was it for me.

Interestingly, I had no football influence from anyone as a young kid (my old man hated football), but I found out later in life, that half my football supporting family are Spurs, and the other half Woolwich.

My folks moved from Ireland to North London in the mid 60's, my uncle lived there too. My grandad had been a spurs fan as well, then my old lad who passed it down to me and my brother and we've passed it down to my wee fella and his two boys who are all spurs mad as well. Four generations in our family and we all have a little London in us.
Brother has spent 90% of his life there and I was moved back to Ireland as a kid but am always over. Lived in N2 for 5 years in AVB & Redknapps days when I went to most home games which was amazing.

First league game was 1-0 Woolwich jan 2nd 1995-Popescu scored the winner. Saw us twice before in friendlies in Dublin and in London but will never forget the walk up the high rd for that first derby night from my Uncles gaff in seven sisters.
That game, the Inter 3-1, beating Chelsea for the first time in fucking years when Lennon scored prob my fav three games I've been to at the lane.

Barca away and dortmund home have been the best games I've been to in the last two years, I've only been to Wembley 5 or 6 times since we moved tbh and I cannot fucking wait to get back to the lane-will be at the city game by hook or by crook!

Last edited:
On my daddy's side they settled in New England in the 1670's from Norfolk . By 1740 the they had moved to up state New York and farmed . During the Revolution or some would say civil war they served with Butlers Rangers , a loyalist frontier unit .
After 1783 they moved to Ontario Canada for safety.
100 years later with the Klondike gold rush they moved to Yukon.
My great granddaddy during ww2 served in bomber command with the RCAF. A tail end Charlie on Sterling's , then Lancasters .
He met my Grandmama in a visit to London who was from Enfield . Her father would watch Spurs every home game in the old second division in the 30s.
After the war they went back to Canada and that was the seed . With many distance relatives visiting and bringing presents like Posters , Scarfs from the UK the link was strong and there could never be another team.
A simple version dudes .

1670......We have a Winner.

Started working at Spurs when I was 16 as a program seller. I remember before the game getting to walk around the edge of the pitch with my manager Ian. WHL felt magical. Started sneaking into all of the games using my program sellers pass. An older lad showed me a place to stand at the edge of Block 30 in the shelf and I was hooked. Even though we were absolutey shit at that time I like the camaraderie and just felt like I belonged. Lucky enough to have a season ticket of my own now and try to go to every game, home and away.

Fairly straight forward route for me.
My Grand dad was Spurs, as was my Dad,and i was born in(and lived )in a Spurs area, Enfield.
I didn't really have a say in the matter,and wouldn't want it any other way.
My mum wasn't a football fan, but 3 of her brothers were Spurs mad.

We later moved to Hoddesdon, Herts which is a massive Spurs area,so i never even had the temptation to change sides as i got older(not that i would have,as i have never got my head round that).
Supported them for as long as i can remember,even as a toddler when i didn't really understand why, i still knew Tottenham were my team.
First game was November 27th 1976 V Stoke,we won 2-0 Keith Osgood getting both.Great start,but the season wasn't our best,we got relegated...
Too many highlights to mention them all, but
beating Bristol Rovers 9-0.
Beating Hull 1-0 to stand a chance of promotion at the final game of the season at the Dell.
The FA cup semi final replay 81, the Final replay (never thought i'd see us win the cup)
Portsmouth in the cup 91, just a blinding day all round.
Man City in the quarter finals ,same year,and same reason as above(EDIT , this wasn't the same year :) ).
Etc etc I wont bore you any more ,as i am sure you have similar
Low points
Getting relegated
Jennings leaving
Scholar etc nearly bankrupting us
The Venables/Sugar fall out( i really believed we were building a youth policy that would have seen us win the league)
The old shelf going
The Milford and British Queen shutting down
Watching those wrong uns up the road winning loads in the 90s/00s

Last edited:
Mum's side of the family all from Edmonton/Tottenham originally going back to the mid-1800's (doing some ancestry research recently she even found a great-uncle that actually lived on White Hart Lane!).

Paternal grandparents came over to East London from Jamaica in the 50's so weren't really into English football, but my dad and uncles all became Spurs too, so it's in the blood!

Oh..just a couple more.....after reading the new stadium thread reminded me of two trips to Anfield. My first time was when Clem went back for the first time, the reception he received was pretty amazing, Hod scoring from nearly the half way line and having to stay in the ground to watch them receive the league trophy.
The second was when Crooksie scored the only goal which meant we won there for the first time since 1912.

Came to this country and the first friend I had was a Tottenham fan. His dad used to take us to games.

I must confess though I haven’t always been a loyal fan. I’ve never liked other teams but there were times when I couldn’t follow football due to being in boarding school, living without a TV in uni, when my son was born and I was too busy to follow footie etc.

I dipped in and out but whenever I got back into it, it was always Tottenham.

Some of your stories are impressive! As a Scottish guy who grew up in Brazil I don't have any ancestral ties to the club but I developed a love for the way the Luka Modric plays the game, when he first arrived at the Lane and thereafter. That was the spark that drew me in, Bale quickly became my favourite player not long after and the rest is history. I haven't been supporting the club for many many years (I am only 26 afterall), and have only been to 3 matches at the old Lane, but in spite of the anxiety it can sometimes bring - I know I am Tottenham till I die! I am absolutely buzzing about the new stadium, the next time I travel to the UK I'll be getting a matchday ticket no question!

I can't actually be 100% certain how I became Spurs. Which is a worry, as I think I started supporting them when I was around 6 or 7, which was only 24 years ago. I've got no family connection to Spurs. My best guess is it was because of Teddy Sheringham, loved the guy.

Wow that was boring compared to some of the stories on here...

Totally off topic but I remember when I was 8 or 9 and I collected Merlin Premier League stickers, I wrote to Merlin as part of a homework project and said to them I was a Tottenham fan, they replied and sent me the entire Spurs team's stickers, I was well chuffed! :eriksenlol:

Had cable tv since I was like 12. Was a crazy football fanatic since I was six. The 2002 World Cup made me love football and my dear father started taking me to the coffee(Portuguese version of pub) to watch Porto games since then. I became hooked with Porto right of the bat. Didn’t matter if I had school next day and the game ended at 11 pm. I would watch the game. But continuing to spurs story. I started religiously following English football in 2004. Mourinho going there with Porto stars and ronaldo becoming a global star was a big factor. But I never felt a bound to chelsea or united despite Portuguese presence. But in 2009 i started to really like to watch bale and Tottenham play. Then the 2010 champions league campaign boom hit me hard. I remember watching Milan - Tottenham and just rooting so much for spurs and fought “hey I really like these guys”. And the rest is history.

Back
Top Bottom