Why cant 1882 be at every game?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think a positive atmosphere is helped by a good run, a positive feeling about the team. Seeing them try hard, shots on target, chasing down every ball, making the effort. The Park Lane/Shelf is the place to build an atmosphere, but seeing us have 1 shot on target against a team that's bottom of the league so far (they were there for a reason, even if they did play well yesterday) isn't going to help the atmosphere at all.

I can't believe anyone turns up to White Hart Lane wanting to moan and call the players shit, but some performances and players don't make it easy to sing up and be positive.

There are a lot of teams that are proper shit that offer a better atmosphere than us at the moment. We seem to have a special kind of "fuck this shit I am booing because it isn't 4-0" type of fan.

I get that 1882 can't do every game... but at EVERY game there must be a few hundred (thousand pushing it?) that WOULD want to sing for 90+ mins... would it really be beyond the club to allocate even half a block, towards the back, where everyone knows that if you book there, you're booking to sing... and if you don't like it, there are 50+ other blocks to sit in!
They do it for the kids/Chirpy's club section... why not the Growd-Ups?

I agree in principle but it is a two way street. 2 shots on target in 2 games is going to try the enthusiasm of even the most diehard fan.

Yeah I do get that. Of course it helps when you are winning and everyone is buzzing. But it works the other way. If we are playing crap perhaps supporting the team vocally might help them a little.

It is a difficult one, but I would say that I am one of probably few people who isn't as swayed by the result. Costs me a bomb to get to the lane from here so I don't spend my day sulking.

IMO the crowd would've turned on the players a lot earlier in the game under AVB or Sherwood than they did yesterday. I don't think many people would have as much of a problem if we'd battered West Broms goal, Foster got MOTM and we'd lost to switching off at a set piece, it'd be spursy and disappointing but at least have a go.

I'd agree with you about the fans, but I think with the majority it's because we've been so stop-start performance wise over the last few seasons. Everyone gets their hopes up after the QPR game, then the next 2 league games we go out with a whimper against Liverpool and barely turn up against West Brom.

You're missing the point of the purpose of the 1882 movement, it's not to go and sing depending on how we play or the score, it's the idea of turning up to the game and just singing. Regardless of the score, performance or team selection, just sing for the shirt, sing because you're Tottenham.

I think it's better (more inclusive) if you don't call it 1882, but it would be good if there was more of an initiative to get the louder fans to stand together. As the OP says, there are plenty of good vocal fans at Spurs (as seen at away games) but a lot of them are sitting/standing apart. In some cases these are ST holders (like myself in the Paxton) but of those other non-ST holder fans, there should be a specific block- not just two stands- which everyone knows to go in. If you look at European teams, the ultras are grouped together. Often the stadium has a load of silent fans as well, but as they're out of the way, you only notice the ultras.

This will be even more important with the new stadium. If we had a specific, say three blocks, ST holders who wanted to stand and sing could move there and occupy, let's say 50% of the three blocks. The other 50% could be for members who want to sing and stand. Families and people who want to sit down would be encouraged to buy tickets elsewhere. Would it be impossible to get the club to agree to this? Maybe a long shot, but something the Trust could take up.

Reading through this thread it is clear to see that even if you disagree about the performance on the pitch by our players most of us agree that vocal support is needed. Now i myself love a decent atmosphere and over the last couple of years it has got so bad that i will pass on most matches if i cant get my ticket in the south lower or first 2 blocks of the shelf. Being a member however i know you can easily get a ticket where you want with a bit of effort on the day. So this whole lets organise a block or two and book early for the fans who want to sing is definitely worth a try, nothing worse then forking out for a game and being surrounded by miserable twats or newcomer tourists. Unless we ourselves act on this the lane will be a shithole like it has been for the last two season, apart from the odd game.

I don't think bad atmosphere can be attributed to bad performances, because at every away game i've ever been to (~30) has been brilliant. Even when we play shit, away crowds are phenomenal, so there's obviously 2,000 or so fans that are happy to sing all game. Get the people that go to the away's, stick them all in the shelf/park lane corner and start blowing the fucking roof off.

Could not agree with you more, despite being hammered 4-0 at Chelsea last season our support was fucking brilliant throughout and seemed to just get better as their goals went in.

I actually remember really enjoying myself and do at every away game I go to, no matter what the final score. Our away support is amazing, and I so wish this could be replicated at WHL.

Last edited:
I agree with Fryers, and hope something like this will be done.

How much the players earn doesn't change one bit the fact that they are puny mortals such as ourselves, who need positive feedback to perform.

When there is a negative atmosphere, as there have been quite often the post few seasons, it makes players anxious. It affects confidence and team morale, it affects performance, which affects confidence. It loads to bad performances both in the short and the long run.

We need SUPPORTERS to cheer for the team. The players need support.

Don't look at it as if you're paying for a ticket to be entertained. When you enter a stadium you are a part of the twelfth man. You affects the result. Please try to be aware of that, Please help your team win.

We are all Tottenham Hotspurs.

As far as I know, block 35 is the only one with the amount of seats available to make it work. Sometimes it's given to the away support so can't be used for every game. In the current stadium, it's not really something that can be organised for prem games. Tickets sell too quickly etc.

I also think the club need to make people aware a block is being used for fans who want to make a load of noise. People have the right to choose not to sit in that area as well.

The Lane 's not been the same since we went all seater.

Having been to most of the PL grounds, if the home team's performance is lacklustre, usually so is the crowd's. Old Trafford being one of the worst for this.

These players can't have it all ways. If they're now in the multi-billion pound entertainment industry, then they'd better be entertaining.

Modern football's moved to the Italian opera house model - if the people on the stage ain't cutting it, the audience will let them know, vocally.

Then lets all sit there.

Agreed (in most cases) but you could say therefore it's a vicious circle, players won't perform with any desire if they're not being supported, you won't support them if their playing shit boring football. What are you going to do? I'd rather wash my hands clean of any blame and say I did everything I could to make them play better (turning up, shouting, singing), then at least I can moan about the players lack of passion and they can't say the same back to me.

Hull last year is one of my best experiences as a fan, but it took AVB to effectively make himself a hate figure among fans (by criticising the fans for a lack of passion) to get that reaction.
It's where the more vocal fans sit anyway, so that's not changing anything. I'd argue as fans we haven't had the performances from the players in a while to ensure the fans keep the atmosphere going - there was one point in the second half yesterday everyone tried to roar them on with 'come on you spurs' almost out of desperation, but the attack broke down, ball dribbles out for a throw in and people had seen enough.

I'm not condoning the people moaning, leaving 10 mins early, but I can't see it changing until we start seeing better performances. There was a good atmosphere against QPR, best I've experienced in ages. But fans are fickle, and games like that are forgotten about quickly and since then we've been beaten easily by the scousers and looked shit all over the pitch yesterday.

When the atmosphere has been as bad as its been for so long now, the fans won't change until we start to have faith and belief in the team again. I look at our team now and I don't see any heroes. There's potential in players like Eriksen, but I don't look at Kaboul the same way I saw Dawson.

I don't think bad atmosphere can be attributed to bad performances, because at every away game i've ever been to (~30) has been brilliant. Even when we play shit, away crowds are phenomenal, so there's obviously 2,000 or so fans that are happy to sing all game. Get the people that go to the away's, stick them all in the shelf/park lane corner and start blowing the fucking roof off.

Could not agree with you more, despite being hammered 4-0 at Chelsea last season our support was fucking brilliant throughout and seemed to just get better as their goals went in.

I actually remember really enjoying myself and do at every away game I go to, no matter what the final score. Our away support is amazing, and I so wish this could be replicated at WHL.
Really enjoyed myself as well that day, despite the result. Great support. I would like to think it will be the same at Woolwich on Saturday but I think if we go 3-0 down a lot of people will leave, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom