Why cant 1882 be at every game?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So another weekend, another sub-par spursy performance we've come to expect (or not) over the past 18 months.

Excluding the wooden performance and faceless lack of responsibility and desire showed by some of our players from the reasoning for being beaten at home for twice in a row (and now 4 games without a win), I wanted to address one of the other issues we have been criticised for over the last couple of seasons.

I wasn't at the game on Sunday but reports in the media are yet again commenting on the 'flat' atmosphere at the lane, and not for the first time.
I have absolutely no doubts that the extra man 1882 will bring to the game on Wednesday will force some kind of resolve to inspire us to a hard fought victory typical of the days of old. I expect a similar kind of 'bounce back' to what we experienced against Hull in the Capital One cup last year after AVB was critical of the fans for a lack of support.

If that happens we can be happy that 1882 gave us the extra man our team needed to achieve victory BUT is this enough? How many times are we going to perform woefully to generate this kind of support?

You could debate that the overpaid depraved lazy players of today shouldn't need the penniless supporter to shout at them in order to get them to play with any desire (and I'm not disagreeing with that statement). However if we could at least wash our hands clean of any blame for poor performances at home that would be something, "we've done everything we can, now the rest is up to you" (the players).

The problem is we can't expect our fans (as passionate as they are) to create the atmosphere required when dotted sparsely around the ground, merged into pockets of wooden Paulinho-esque nay sayers, non-singers, and sit downers.

What's to stop 1882 from booking out a stand, a tier or even a block?? Giving the fans one location from which to launch a singing chanting offensive would in my mind add something we are missing at the lane. Organisation is key, I know the club of course would never agree to making entire blocks available for league games but do we really need the club to make that available for us? Is is simply a case of saying, we (1882) will be in block 36, book early, get your seats, we'll be towards the back.

You'll know where we are because we'll be making the most noise.

Money mate. Many of the loudest fans are the younger gen who on average earn less and can't afford the huge cost involved with attending every game. I agree though.

Are the 1882 goin to be @ forest this week?

As far as I know, block 35 is the only one with the amount of seats available to make it work. Sometimes it's given to the away support so can't be used for every game. In the current stadium, it's not really something that can be organised for prem games. Tickets sell too quickly etc.

I also think the club need to make people aware a block is being used for fans who want to make a load of noise. People have the right to choose not to sit in that area as well.

As far as I know, block 35 is the only one with the amount of seats available to make it work. Sometimes it's given to the away support so can't be used for every game. In the current stadium, it's not really something that can be organised for prem games. Tickets sell too quickly etc.

I also think the club need to make people aware a block is being used for fans who want to make a load of noise. People have the right to choose not to sit in that area as well.

I hear what your saying, but wouldn't it be worth trying, even for the sake of experiment to see if you could generate an atmosphere by saying blocks 35-38 are where the die hard fans are going to be? Noise carries a long way, one stand sometimes can get the other stand going. It really sucks the wind out of me every time I sing and people go quiet around me.

I understand people have the right to a quiet seat but isn't this what the family stand is for? Surely, its a football match, your going to expect some odd characters and noise about, no one is forcing you to sing ultimately. The one luxury an 1882 fan can have is moving around blocks, it doesn't always have to be in the same place (which might upset season ticket holders).

Money mate. Many of the loudest fans are the younger gen who on average earn less and can't afford the huge cost involved with attending every game. I agree though.

Are the 1882 goin to be @ forest this week?

Ok so you yourself as an individual might not attend every game (I certainly cant afford it) but as a group I still think you could get a mass of people who are passionate and want to sing etc in a common location. Partially I think already south stand has this, for me its the best place to sit if you want a good atmosphere but having people there, with purpose, with organisation would enhance it further.

I think a positive atmosphere is helped by a good run, a positive feeling about the team. Seeing them try hard, shots on target, chasing down every ball, making the effort. The Park Lane/Shelf is the place to build an atmosphere, but seeing us have 1 shot on target against a team that's bottom of the league so far (they were there for a reason, even if they did play well yesterday) isn't going to help the atmosphere at all.

I can't believe anyone turns up to White Hart Lane wanting to moan and call the players shit, but some performances and players don't make it easy to sing up and be positive.

The Park Lane/Shelf is the place to build an atmosphere

Then lets all sit there.

I can't believe anyone turns up to White Hart Lane wanting to moan and call the players shit, but some performances and players don't make it easy to sing up and be positive.

Agreed (in most cases) but you could say therefore it's a vicious circle, players won't perform with any desire if they're not being supported, you won't support them if their playing shit boring football. What are you going to do? I'd rather wash my hands clean of any blame and say I did everything I could to make them play better (turning up, shouting, singing), then at least I can moan about the players lack of passion and they can't say the same back to me.

Hull last year is one of my best experiences as a fan, but it took AVB to effectively make himself a hate figure among fans (by criticising the fans for a lack of passion) to get that reaction.

The Lane 's not been the same since we went all seater.

Having been to most of the PL grounds, if the home team's performance is lacklustre, usually so is the crowd's. Old Trafford being one of the worst for this.

These players can't have it all ways. If they're now in the multi-billion pound entertainment industry, then they'd better be entertaining.

Modern football's moved to the Italian opera house model - if the people on the stage ain't cutting it, the audience will let them know, vocally.

So another weekend, another sub-par spursy performance we've come to expect (or not) over the past 18 months.

Excluding the wooden performance and faceless lack of responsibility and desire showed by some of our players from the reasoning for being beaten at home for twice in a row (and now 4 games without a win), I wanted to address one of the other issues we have been criticised for over the last couple of seasons.

I wasn't at the game on Sunday but reports in the media are yet again commenting on the 'flat' atmosphere at the lane, and not for the first time.
I have absolutely no doubts that the extra man 1882 will bring to the game on Wednesday will force some kind of resolve to inspire us to a hard fought victory typical of the days of old. I expect a similar kind of 'bounce back' to what we experienced against Hull in the Capital One cup last year after AVB was critical of the fans for a lack of support.

If that happens we can be happy that 1882 gave us the extra man our team needed to achieve victory BUT is this enough? How many times are we going to perform woefully to generate this kind of support?

You could debate that the overpaid depraved lazy players of today shouldn't need the penniless supporter to shout at them in order to get them to play with any desire (and I'm not disagreeing with that statement). However if we could at least wash our hands clean of any blame for poor performances at home that would be something, "we've done everything we can, now the rest is up to you" (the players).

The problem is we can't expect our fans (as passionate as they are) to create the atmosphere required when dotted sparsely around the ground, merged into pockets of wooden Paulinho-esque nay sayers, non-singers, and sit downers.

What's to stop 1882 from booking out a stand, a tier or even a block?? Giving the fans one location from which to launch a singing chanting offensive would in my mind add something we are missing at the lane. Organisation is key, I know the club of course would never agree to making entire blocks available for league games but do we really need the club to make that available for us? Is is simply a case of saying, we (1882) will be in block 36, book early, get your seats, we'll be towards the back.

You'll know where we are because we'll be making the most noise.

Like many others I'm sure, for me it is simply down to cost.

Like many others I'm sure, for me it is simply down to cost.
Completely with you, but if you excuse me, I'm not 1882, your not 1882, (ok you kind of are), the idea being that when your not there somebody else is. The ground is normally full right, I think the best fans are just sat in the wrong places.

Then lets all sit there.

Agreed (in most cases) but you could say therefore it's a vicious circle, players won't perform with any desire if they're not being supported, you won't support them if their playing shit boring football. What are you going to do? I'd rather wash my hands clean of any blame and say I did everything I could to make them play better (turning up, shouting, singing), then at least I can moan about the players lack of passion and they can't say the same back to me.

Hull last year is one of my best experiences as a fan, but it took AVB to effectively make himself a hate figure among fans (by criticising the fans for a lack of passion) to get that reaction.
It's where the more vocal fans sit anyway, so that's not changing anything. I'd argue as fans we haven't had the performances from the players in a while to ensure the fans keep the atmosphere going - there was one point in the second half yesterday everyone tried to roar them on with 'come on you spurs' almost out of desperation, but the attack broke down, ball dribbles out for a throw in and people had seen enough.

I'm not condoning the people moaning, leaving 10 mins early, but I can't see it changing until we start seeing better performances. There was a good atmosphere against QPR, best I've experienced in ages. But fans are fickle, and games like that are forgotten about quickly and since then we've been beaten easily by the scousers and looked shit all over the pitch yesterday.

When the atmosphere has been as bad as its been for so long now, the fans won't change until we start to have faith and belief in the team again. I look at our team now and I don't see any heroes. There's potential in players like Eriksen, but I don't look at Kaboul the same way I saw Dawson.

I think it's better (more inclusive) if you don't call it 1882, but it would be good if there was more of an initiative to get the louder fans to stand together. As the OP says, there are plenty of good vocal fans at Spurs (as seen at away games) but a lot of them are sitting/standing apart. In some cases these are ST holders (like myself in the Paxton) but of those other non-ST holder fans, there should be a specific block- not just two stands- which everyone knows to go in. If you look at European teams, the ultras are grouped together. Often the stadium has a load of silent fans as well, but as they're out of the way, you only notice the ultras.

This will be even more important with the new stadium. If we had a specific, say three blocks, ST holders who wanted to stand and sing could move there and occupy, let's say 50% of the three blocks. The other 50% could be for members who want to sing and stand. Families and people who want to sit down would be encouraged to buy tickets elsewhere. Would it be impossible to get the club to agree to this? Maybe a long shot, but something the Trust could take up.

Ok so you yourself as an individual might not attend every game (I certainly cant afford it) but as a group I still think you could get a mass of people who are passionate and want to sing etc in a common location. Partially I think already south stand has this, for me its the best place to sit if you want a good atmosphere but having people there, with purpose, with organisation would enhance it further.

Best thing you could do then is join the 1882 and help get more people that want to sing to go to more games. Can tell you're as passionate as I am about helping create a loud, positive atmosphere regardless of winning/losing but you can't change those who go and don't sing.

It's sad that were even talking about this, as regulars of one of the supposedly best atmosphere grounds in the country.

I think a positive atmosphere is helped by a good run, a positive feeling about the team. Seeing them try hard, shots on target, chasing down every ball, making the effort. The Park Lane/Shelf is the place to build an atmosphere, but seeing us have 1 shot on target against a team that's bottom of the league so far (they were there for a reason, even if they did play well yesterday) isn't going to help the atmosphere at all.

There are a lot of teams that are proper shit that offer a better atmosphere than us at the moment. We seem to have a special kind of "fuck this shit I am booing because it isn't 4-0" type of fan.

It's where the more vocal fans sit anyway, so that's not changing anything. I'd argue as fans we haven't had the performances from the players in a while to ensure the fans keep the atmosphere going - there was one point in the second half yesterday everyone tried to roar them on with 'come on you spurs' almost out of desperation, but the attack broke down, ball dribbles out for a throw in and people had seen enough.

I'm not condoning the people moaning, leaving 10 mins early, but I can't see it changing until we start seeing better performances. There was a good atmosphere against QPR, best I've experienced in ages. But fans are fickle, and games like that are forgotten about quickly and since then we've been beaten easily by the scousers and looked shit all over the pitch yesterday.

When the atmosphere has been as bad as its been for so long now, the fans won't change until we start to have faith and belief in the team again. I look at our team now and I don't see any heroes. There's potential in players like Eriksen, but I don't look at Kaboul the same way I saw Dawson.

Agree. There's no figurehead or leaders for the team. If the best we can do in terms of leadership is Kaboul, then that's not ideal.

Back
Top Bottom