Why am I Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

the fun started here .....
CaxbQNhXEAA-CRO.jpg
60p to watch your favorite team play. Out-fucking-standing!

Why Spurs?

After watching the '61 cup final and the double an absolute 'no brainer'!

My dad was ManUre n my mum was Ipswich but never did I waiver even when ManUre overtook us in the mid 60s with most of my schoolmates jumping on the bandwagon!
Form is temporary, class is forever and all that.

My 1st visit to WHL in the Park Lane and my heart raced walking up the entrance steps in anticipation and I've never lost that pre game feeling home or away.
When I do box me up and ship me home!

IMO we now have the best side since our 'golden era' with us having an outstanding chance of winning the PL this season but we will improve by next season

COYMS

Robbie Keane introduced me to the club, and I haven't looked back since. I love it. I love the club harder when it fails and I feel insecure when it makes waves into the upper echelon of European football but I love it. It's been and will remain our lives, this bloody club. But as we are all unlikely to see 65 + (heart issues related to stress) I think we'll manage.

Hard to explain really. Tottenham sort of chose me - something about style, the name, the kit, the ground. I fell in love at seven, and although she's been a cruel mistress at times, I'll always come back for more.

It was probably the day as a 7 year old in infant school when a bigger lad from the year above threatened to bogwash me if I didn't say I supported Spurs. I would thank him now if I could.

That was in Greenford, Middx around 78 and not too long after I joined a local football club and our coach was an old Spurs man and brainwashed a lot of us. That year I got the horrible nylon Yellow Admiral away kit, then in 1980 a branch of Steve Perryman Sports opened on the High Road and we became the first team to use Le Coq Sportif as kit manufacturer - always a cut above. I was already going to be Spurs but those kits....

My dad hated football and was too scared of trouble to take me so the first games I got taken to were the 81 and 82 charity shields, didn't get up to WHL until adulthood but haven't left since.

Boxing Day, 1962. Ipswich Town ( The then Champions) at the Lane. My dad said it would be off as it was snowing, me and my brother beseeched him to take us. 'It will DEFINITELY be on." we said. he relented and we set off from Cambridge Heath station, counting down the magical station names.
As we approached White Hart Lane station, these monstrous pylons loomed ahead, casting their light into the afternoon sky. All around was a carpet of snow, rooves pristine white, against the gloom and chimney smoke.
Programme, (I still have it) in hand and light by 1/3d I walked up the Paxton steps.
You all know what happens next, but a white pitch with the lines scraped out and an orange ball? Made Narnia look like a Poundland imitation.
I watched men in white shirts effortlessy pass the ball to other men in white shirts. It was a virtuoso performance.
5-0 it ended. Five bloody nil, against the best in the country. It was done. I was in. A six year old, hopelessly lost to Tottenham Hotspur, who thought every game was probably like this.
The facts may be a bit hazy, but at the top if those stairs, gazing at that winter wonderland, and watching artists expressing themselves on that blank canvas?
There are no words.
Bit of a poet, me. :p :coys:

Hard to explain really. Tottenham sort of chose me - something about style, the name, the kit, the ground. I fell in love at seven, and although she's been a cruel mistress at times, I'll always come back for more.
Me fairly similar.
Young Aussie boy in Brisbane as a kid always looked to London as where I wanted to be. Soccer as we knew was my favourite winter game. I would be the only one up late on a Monday nite waiting for the big match. In the late 70's as teenagers two cousins and I needed a team to follow, one Leeds the other Stolen Roubles (aka Chelsea) and for me it had to be a London team -
  • The Name - Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Very individual and dashing, no City or United for me.
  • The emblem, mascot - the proud Chook or as we now know The Fighting Cock
  • The ground - White Hart Lane, very romantic, very English. Was it just me or was it what I wanted to see. Whenever The Big Match went to White Hart Lane as they zoomed in from above it was always in sunshine and they would zoom in on the proud cockerel.
  • Our playing strip - the purity of white with Navy as our secondary colour. Two favourites that have remained with me.
  • Our style of play - it always seemed dashing and adventurous with wing play that was exciting to watch.
  • God on our side - and then to nail my love of Tottenham there was Glenn Hoddle. Still my favourite and love how he has remained Tottenham.
Thank you TTID

Although my Dad United (born near Salford) and my Mum Greenwich many Spurs fans in the family persuaded me to go the way of Tottenham, I remember getting a mug and rosette when I was about 7 or 8 years old from a close family friend.

This is the first game I remember and was on ITV sport with Elton Wellsby as they showed one game a week on Sundays. We won 2-0 away at Wednesday and was amazed with the snow and playing still, Waddle was incredible. The unbelievable thing is this video was only uploaded yesterday and I can finally see the footage again after all these years

Gosh, that brought back some memories. That was a time when I went to all the games, even if they were away and live on telly. Some games are forgetable, but remember this one - had to wear about three pairs of socks, three tops and long johns!!

Back
Top Bottom