Why am I Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We all have our own story like this. Whenever it was, whoever it was against, it was seminal moment. At the top of those stairs, looking at that pitch, there was a seismic shift in a world that would never be the same.
Passing your Driving Test, getting that job, copping off with that girl.
Not even close. The club's heroin was coursing through your childish veins and you knew, just knew, that there could never be a way back. COYS!

It's impossible to explain why to someone who doesn't 'get it' , and it's not necessary to anyone who does.
All I know is that the moment I walked into WHL at the corner between the Paxton and the East Stand, I knew that I would never be anything but a Spurs supporter, I will never forget that feeling of awe and being right at home. That feeling may not be as intense as the first time, but I still get butterflies as I walk up the stairs to take my seat, especially before a big game. Suppose the time to give up will be when I don't feel like that anymore.

From the cradle to the grave

Started following the Mighty in 1968 but as we lived abroad I didn't see my first game until 1972 (Aug 12th, beat Cov 2-1 with 2 Martin Peters goals).

Now my old fella was Woolwich so in order to try and sway my allegiance he took me to see their game vs Stoke the follpwing week on the 19th (they won 2-0). I just knew I didn't want to be there. I knew in my bones and in my soul that I was Tottenham.

I knew where I belonged and it wasn't there.

I have never for one moment regretted my decision. Tottenham til I die.

As a child in the 70's I can't remember a time I wasn't spurs. I remember my my mum stitching on a Cockerell on my white tee shirt and I was so excited. I remember my dad bringing me to spurs Bolton and the astonishing 9-0 victory over Bristol rovers. As an Irish family Jennings was our hero

From about the age of 11 me and school mates use to head of to the Lane And get there for 12 gates open and just watch the ground fill up.

I seen so much glory, drama, heart ache and despair yet I am still hooked. I still feel the butterflies as I enter the ground.

And this season could be the best yet. I'll probably cry for a week.

27th November 1976 v Stoke City
I had been a Spurs fan for as long as I could remember(born in 68).
I came from a Spurs family and it never crossed my mind to follow anyone else.
My father had stopped attending matches at the end of the 70/71 season.
Not sure if it was in disgust at the fighting he saw,or the disgust in watching THAT lot win the league at our place.
Anyway, after constant nagging by me he decided to take me along to game.
The plan was to take me to Pat Jennings Testimonial on Tuesday 23rd November 76, but I think he got cold feet due to the scenes he witnessed in 71and the mass hysteria in the British press about violence at games at that time. He attended the game with my older brother(18) and seeing that you could attend a game and be safe,decided it would be ok to take me(aged 8).Truth be told I think he always regretted not taking me to Big Pats game as it meant I never saw Jimmy Greaves play.
Anyway on the Saturday my Dad ,me and my big brother set off to north London(we were out in Herts by this time) to get "some bits for my brothers van". I remember thinking nothing strange when we parked up at Edmonton Green and bordered a train heading into town.It was only when we got off at WHL and my Dad pulled a carrier bag out of the inside of his coat containing my Spurs Scarf and my favourite Spurs Woolly hat(knitted for me by a Rasta lady my mum worked with at Fords),that I knew I was finally going to a game.
I will never forget the short walk to the ground(stopping for programmes and Peanuts), the noise,the singing etc.
The feeling and lump in my throat as I climbed the steps and first saw the White Hart Lane pitch will never leave me. I still get it now, to a lesser degree,but its still there.
When won the game 2-0,Keith Osgood scored twice ,a header and a Penalty. I got to see Alfie Conn and Chivers that day, as well as Big Pat and all my other heroes.
This match ,along with the Jennings Testimonial re-awakened the match goer in my father,so from that day we were regulars. We watched the stoke game in the Corner of the West Stand,by the Park lane ,the other games we watched that season we watched in the seats in the Paxton.
We ended up bottom and relegated
So what!!! We came back!
Support anyone else....Do me a favour.

two games made me click a lot with the club.
City 0-1 Spurs
Inter 4-3 Spurs

i already liked the club, but that pair of games made me to start to really follow. Bale was a big part why was a fan from the start. My favourite player from 2010 until he fucked off to Madrid. I liked him so much that i bought a Madrid kit with his name. :pochfacepalm:
ronaldo5.jpg
it's a cool shirt in my defence :townhmm:

Although my Dad United (born near Salford) and my Mum Greenwich many Spurs fans in the family persuaded me to go the way of Tottenham, I remember getting a mug and rosette when I was about 7 or 8 years old from a close family friend.

This is the first game I remember and was on ITV sport with Elton Wellsby as they showed one game a week on Sundays. We won 2-0 away at Wednesday and was amazed with the snow and playing still, Waddle was incredible. The unbelievable thing is this video was only uploaded yesterday and I can finally see the footage again after all these years

Who remembers the Peanut seller in the shelf that was the spitting image of our striker, the late Ian Moores?
I remember him but time has fuzzed my memory . I thought he looked more
like the mate of Robin from "man about the house "
The 4 goal Colin Lee , Ian Moores 3 against Rovers I was there for . Both amazingly
average / poor strikers but that day they were Hurst and Greaves .
I think the Bolton game was 50,000 and a draw .
Family honour made me Spurs .
There was no exceptance of anything else .
"A long and winding road "

My dad doesn't like football. He tried rugby, and got knocked out. He tried boxing - same deal. He even tried cricket and got knocked out. He learned early on that, for him, sport usually resulted in concussion. He has never even been remotely interested in football, but also knew that I was mad about the game.

Without a father's guidance I supported whoever was winning. In my early days it was Liverpool. But after a few years of what felt like hollow success I started to yearn for a little more. Something a little more meaningful. And in 1986, at the age of 11, I found it. The Big Match was on and I watched a team that was like no other. They had a little Argentine who was a magician. They had a giant of a player called Hoddle, and a centre forward called Allen who scored for fun. I was hooked.

Bless him, my dear Dad dutifully took me to my first game. It was Charlton away (when they played at nearby Selhurst Park). I will never forget the first time I ever saw a real football crowd. We were in the Spurs end, and sadly charlton scored first. My dad, knowing nothing about the game, jumped to his feet shouting "Goal!" I don't think I have ever been more embarrassed, and thankfully we weren't lynched by the kind Spurs fans around us. I was mortified, and let him know it. Ironically, when Spurs equalised later in the game, he sat stock still rather than embarrass me again.

It remains the one and only game we have ever been to together. A season later, I became a junior spur and started going on my own or with school mates. That day he took me to my first Spurs game will always be special in my heart. He's not a football man, but he took me anyway, and risked humiliation to do the right thing by me. I learned a lot about what it is to be a man that day.

Back
Top Bottom