Where it really went wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What really fucked us?

• Sacking Redknapp

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • Appointing AVB

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Selling Bale

Votes: 49 39.8%
  • Spending 90% of the Bale money on utter shit (appointing baldini)

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Sacking AVB

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Appointing Deadwood

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
Wow way to pick a small sample size. Four games! Against the mighty Fullham, Bolton, Blackburn, and Aston Villa. That's all cause someone else got a job somewhere.

That's all that's needed to show that your argument is without conviction.

Modric then Bale

Keep both of them and build around them , easily a top4 Prem club

But good old Modern Footy
Was never going to happen, at least not with Bale anyway. People need to start accepting our position in the food chain. While I think we may have been able to hold on to them a bit longer, both wanted to go, one of the best teams in the world wanted them and they were being offered megabucks. We simply can't compete with that.

The real failing, where they are concerned, is not really having a proper strategy for life after either. This past summer seems to have been more about splashing the Bale money randomly on whoever came with a high price take and good reputation, but without consideration of whether or not they would actually work together or settle in to the Prem. Also, there seemed to have been little effort to try and move away from the Bale-centric team that existed throughout last season. Irrespective of AVB's failing this term, it was well known that he wanted key playmakers like Moutinho to build a team around and I think Levy let down him in that regard.

You more you look at it, the more apparent it is that it isn't just one big mistake that has got us where we are, there are several others along the way as well.

Irrespective of AVB's failing this term, it was well known that he wanted key playmakers like Moutinho to build a team around and I think Levy let down him in that regard.

Didn't we nearly sign him in AVBs first window, but it didn't get sorted in time? Then Monaco bought him pretty much as soon as they got promoted.

Was never going to happen, at least not with Bale anyway. People need to start accepting our position in the food chain. While I think we may have been able to hold on to them a bit longer, both wanted to go, one of the best teams in the world wanted them and they were being offered megabucks. We simply can't compete with that.

The real failing, where they are concerned, is not really having a proper strategy for life after either. This past summer seems to have been more about splashing the Bale money randomly on whoever came with a high price take and good reputation, but without consideration of whether or not they would actually work together or settle in to the Prem. Also, there seemed to have been little effort to try and move away from the Bale-centric team that existed throughout last season. Irrespective of AVB's failing this term, it was well known that he wanted key playmakers like Moutinho to build a team around and I think Levy let down him in that regard.

You more you look at it, the more apparent it is that it isn't just one big mistake that has got us where we are, there are several others along the way as well.

Could not agree with this post more. Our failure to secure perennial top four status is undoubtedly the cause of a series of unfortunate events, with the poor handling of the Bale money being the biggest blunder and the very reason we're even still discussing this. IMO, we could've spent considerably less and had a far more balanced squad at this point in time.

That being said, I think it could still work out in the long run since AVB is gone. Sherwood makes some strange decisions, but I'll take a baffling yet adaptable pseudo-interim manager over a relentlessly stubborn and alienating permanent manager any day with how much young potential is in our squad.

Where did it go all wrong? ... well, it has to be not buying Damiao, right?

OK seriously ... I can't believe the highest percentage of votes are going to 'Selling Bale.'

Yeah, it would've been great to keep him and build a team around him.
But most of us should, by now, know all about our dear club runners. I would've been really really surprised if we kept our Welsh Wonder.

Regardless, Levy got us a 100 facking million pounds for the player. That's incredibale!!!
Imo, we surely fucked up sooo much more in spending the money than we did with the plan to sell Bale. I admit that at times the spending did perceive to look good, but in retrospective ... we clearly should've done better.

We didn't seize the moment when AVB and the 100 mil was around, just like we didn't during that Summer when we first got in the Champions League. This Summer is gonna be a big one for us, let alone for the fact if Joey and co. still want to sell the club to the right suitors.

Too many false dawns and short lived success. We've been close then fucked it.
Pleat curb crawling, waddle sold just as lineker arrives, venables sugar fight results in us losing Livermore and Clemence and their fine young team is broken up, ardiles not a clue, the cunts of the 90's, buying Armstrong those fucks were buying bergkamp, fucking lasagne, fucking throwing away massive leads in the race for champ lge, not buying proper players at xmas instead of ryan Nelson appointing avb instead of some other cunt who is at city perhaps.
It's how we roll

More than anything, for me, it's what's next. What do Levy, Lewis and ENIC have up their sleeve to keep control?

We, the fans, have seen that ENIC have done certain things very well: that's resulted in our rise from a solid mid table squad to a club on the fringes of the Champions' League. However, we've also lost a great deal of our identity as a football club in an attempt to market ourselves to a worldwide audience. I don't think that's a bad thing, per se, but the intangible factor a vocal fan base provides is something that doesn't form part of anyone's bottom line assessment.

I think such losses could prove crucial; Dan Louw's comment about crowd noise being piped in sounded hideous to me and really indicative of 'franchises' without true fans. I think it's easier and perhaps more natural to stand by your club when things are going poorly on the pitch; it's when things are going badly in the stands amongst your brethren in Lilywhite that things become more difficult.

City, Chelsea and Woolwich are all better than last year. Man United has fallen apart, Liverpool and Everton have problems just like we do.

I rather like our chances.

So the major problem is current. We got drubbed by City and draw with Hull.
Abandon ship and find a scapegoat.

I found this, it's a comparison of points and league position between this season and last....
09wJVX9.jpg

We are the only fucking team to have more points than last season but with a worse league position....how fucking Spursy is that?

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^.

If Woolwich beat Liverpool this weekend and we beat Everton, we're sitting at fourth (thank you Toure).

On paper, fourth is actually somewhat manageable when you consider that Liverpool and Everton both have to play the rest of the top 3 + Liverpool faces United away (with a bedded in Mata). Then again, on paper we should probably be in third place at the very least so...

Goddamnit... one point... all we needed... was one fucking point...
:baletroll:

If we can stay in and around until the run in we have by far the easiest last 6 games of the other contenders:

Sunderland (Home)
West Brom (Away)
Fulham (Home)
Stoke (Away)
West Ham (Away)
Villa (Home)

However we all know football isn't played on paper and we will be 10 points clear going into these games, lose them all and finish 12th.

As we have seen in the last few weekends, the teams such as Stoke, Sunderland, Pikeys, West Brom will all start picking up big points now as they come alive to fight for survival, which will take points off the 4 fighting for 4th, so wide open - with Jan back suring up defence it will be about us scoring goals, from all areas as we dont have a 40 goal strike partnership

Its football. Its predetermined to go wrong for every single team in every bloody league. One team wins, the others battle to lose the least.

Nothing went wrong. Stuff just happened.

How about

"When those willow waving crickety cunts stood under the lampost"

as an option.

Back
Top Bottom