Where it really went wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What really fucked us?

• Sacking Redknapp

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • Appointing AVB

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Selling Bale

Votes: 49 39.8%
  • Spending 90% of the Bale money on utter shit (appointing baldini)

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Sacking AVB

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Appointing Deadwood

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
Poor acquisitions with the Bale money. All are talented players, but some were just entirely untailored to our needs while we left a couple areas in shockingly bad shape.

I went with sacking AVB. I think we were forced into sacking 'Arry with the farce that happened. Appointment of AVB showed some ambition. Selling Bale inevitable without Champions League. Should have bought a younger/better striker like Benteke in hindsight (Lamela will still be a good buy). There was no one better than Sherwood after the sacking of Villas Boas, which made his sacking even more of a joke.

I don't agree it's all gone wrong though.

I'd say not splurging enough between getting 4th and the CL season. Needed to have a squad of our size and relative quality now with Bale, VDV, Modric to compete all round that year. Out of the options, the appointment of Sherwood seems the silliest, but not where anything went wrong.

EDIT- so I'd go with selling Bale actually.

I don't agree it's all gone wrong though.

Yeah I feel the same, we're not clicking and questionable decisions have been made, but things could certainly be worse. That we're still within shot of fourth despite some of those decisions and some glaring weaknesses is testament to some real individual quality of some of the players.

Regardless of the broader context of the Redknapp sacking, we were dangerously close to being one of the most exciting sides in the world.
I'm glad neg rep is no more

Sacking Redknapp. Said at the time and say it now. He should only have gone for someone better. AVB was not it - he was on the same level at best. Levy should've swallowed his pride and kept Harry on until he could sort out a deal with someone of the vanGaal calibre - however long it took.

I 100% wanted AVB in when we sacked Harry as I thought he'd be better, he quite clearly wasn't. It all started from his appointment imo (and I backed him all the way up until till about mid November)

Edit: Although I don't think it's gone completely wrong at all

I agree that it isn't that bad so far.

I do think that we would have had more chance of further progression under Redknapp, he had a better eye for instant impact players and would deserve recognition for his work with Bale.

His drawbacks are many, but severely outweighed by his advantages

Back
Top Bottom