Where did this season go wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

7 noticeable factors that have affected us more than almost any other team

1. Injuries to key players
2. Fans not getting and inspiring the team and players
3. World cup break
4. Var decisions
5. Referee bias given to opposition teams
6. Too much pressure and toxic environment created by our fans
7. Other teams tapping up our main players. I.e. man u with kane

"really well justified"

Nuff said.

It's been shit; but always? Nope.

Supposedly well justified excuse is still an excuse.

Especially when it’s a repeat pattern.

We can only suppose the excuse given is true and well justified then suck it up .

Doesn’t change the fact that season after season passes without winning. Manager after manager comes and goes without winning. Always there fault, always well justified excuses

I mean if we wind up 8th having been 4th when Conte was sacked, I think the titular question of this thread will become rather clear wouldn't you?

It's really stunning how cavalier Levy has become about burning down his carefully laid plans.

I'm not convinced cavalier is the correct word.

Conte got what he wanted.... He made it untenable. Just a shame he couldn't do the decent thing in Jan.

Rock and a hard place since. New manager was/is huge; and no-one wants another Nuno....... I do maintain Stellini was the wrong call though. Shoulda been Mason.

I'm not convinced cavalier is the correct word.
Between the Jose and Conte sackings, and the timing and implications thereof, I don't think there is a more appropriate word. I'll give them enough credit to not choose "slapstick", though I have my suspicions that perhaps that better describes the actual behind the scenes.

Whether or not it was a good or right thing to intend, I think the intent was definitely to continue Conte-ism without Conte. The naivety of that boggles the mind.

This is the same guy who sacked Martin Jol at halftime having already sealed the move for Juande Ramos, remember. My word how things have changed.

Supposedly well justified excuse is still an excuse.

Especially when it’s a repeat pattern.

Not in the manner you're insisting; no.

Sometimes there's fuck up's; sometime reasons are valid..... It's folly to stamp ones feet over the latter.

I've said all along we should have rolled the dice on Ndicka.

Between the Jose and Conte sackings, and the timing and implications thereof, I don't think there is a more appropriate word. I'll give them enough credit to not choose "slapstick", though I have my suspicions that perhaps that better describes the actual behind the scenes.

Whether or not it was a good or right thing to intend, I think the intent was definitely to continue Conte-ism without Conte. The naivety of that boggles the mind.

I'm pretty damn sure Levy would have preferred Conte to sign a new deal and to kick on

Plenty of people here wanted both Conte & Jose gone long before they finally got the boot. Seemingly Conte did too.

This is the same guy who sacked Martin Jol at halftime having already sealed the move for Juande Ramos, remember. My word how things have changed.

......And Jose was seemingly in the bag when he sacked Poch too.

More broadly speaking; I've no problem conceding that Levy is doing a significantly worse job over the last few years than before.

Plenty of people here wanted both Conte & Jose gone long before they finally got the boot. Seemingly Conte did too.
I don't disagree that Conte had made his position untenable, nor that he more or less did so on purpose.

But the club's response was half-assed and muddled to say the least.

I don't think Chelsea bringing Lampard back is a particularly good idea, but it's a decisive and clear one.

I think you and I agree that putting Mason in charge was probably the least bad option (it might still be?). But bringing in someone from outside on an interim basis was absolutely something the club should have been prepared to consider (given the Conte of it all) and quite obviously weren't.

I don't disagree that Conte had made his position untenable, nor that he more or less did so on purpose.

But the club's response was half-assed and muddled to say the least.

I don't think Chelsea bringing Lampard back is a particularly good idea, but it's a decisive and clear one.

I think you and I agree that putting Mason in charge was probably the least bad option (it might still be?). But bringing in someone from outside on an interim basis was absolutely something the club should have been prepared to consider (given the Conte of it all) and quite obviously weren't.

Personally I think Mase or new full timer were the only 2 suitable solutions.

Last edited:
The inability for Levy to get rid of any of the deadwood. Next season, most of these players will still be there & if the reports we are hearing are correct, Dier is to be given a new 3yr contract & we are to sign Lenglet on a permanent contract. And we wonder why we are in such a mess

When Gian Piero Ventrone died I think Conte checked out emotionally and the players were also impacted. After that you had the disruption of the World Cup break with so many Spurs players on national teams and a long string of injuries. If the team had any confidence it was gone after the World Cup break.

Conte. I will never forgive him for neglecting Spence and Danjuma, for failing to act to change the course of matches, for not giving his all to win every single match and maximising the potential of every single player in the squad, for not making every player want to crawl across broken glass with their flies unzipped for him, for not being even a fraction of the manager he could have been.

Not in the manner you're insisting; no.

Sometimes there's fuck up's; sometime reasons are valid..... It's folly to stamp ones feet over the latter.

I've said all along we should have rolled the dice on Ndicka.

Stamp one’s feet?

The fuck are you babbling about?

ENIC want to avoid being held accountable for not getting it done when it comes to the football team.

Pointing that out is “Stamping Ones feet”?
Ok mate, you carry on.

After the decent display against Chelsea the wheels just fell off. In two weeks out of fa cup and ucl. Then lost all hope for anything good in league. Sacked the manager and lost the director of football. It wasn’t going great before but after that match they went straigth off the cliff.

The season went wrong when Conte said he was coming back last summer. He does nothing to inspire players, plays a system that does not suit our players and is so boring and toxic that it turned fans away from the club.

Levy/ENIC will always be here and be hated until they are sold but the manager needs to do his part. We loved this club under Poch despite what ENIC did, Conte could not come close to that despite having ten times the budget Poch had.

Conte/Levy was the main problem. Stubborn and petty as hell...

1.Conte's system this season killed our wingers. None of them performed....

2.Kane who was scoring and creating has now reverted a pure striker with no creator in the midfield..... (Although he is still scoring which is amazing)

3.Our CB's are crap, Levy didn't buy any competent defenders offseason and still relying on Dier.....

4. Our wingbacks are crap.

5. Our midfields crap.

6. Bench is crap.

Everything is crap.

This season is by far lowest Spurs have been in awhile...

Fuck you Levy.

Back
Top Bottom