Where did this season go wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But he isn't a novice. He's won everywhere else he's been. ENIC Hotspurs are novices.

Other teams didn't bring in Antonio Conte, the coach most well known in the world for playing 3 CBs, then not sign a single permanent, CB.

Widely linked to Bremer, Bastoni (didn't move), Skriniar (wanted to run contract down, now likely to move to PSG on a free this summer) Ndicka (likely to move on a free this summer), Gvardiol (didn't move).

Fact is the only top CB who moved last summer was Bremer - who wanted to stay in Italy.

That despite Bastoni publicly praising Conte as the man who made him a top LCB .... but he didn't want to move from Inter last summer.

The key thing is player availability. Last summer no top CB's were available.

I'd guess Cote was pissed off - as much by Bastoni not wanting him as anything else

Paratici made a pragmatic move by taking LCB Lenglet on a 'try before you buy loan' Not a lot of other options. When your luck is out, its out.

We ended last season well and I was happy with the incoming players and that we off loaded albeit on loan those that many of us considered not up to scratch. It was fair enough to start the team that did so well at the end of last season BUT the new players were just not integrated into the team. Conte just would not bend on tactics or team selection. Only he knows why. The team retreating when we were leading was a problem for a while under Mourinho but linked to the only performing in the 2nd half were problems that Conte should have dealt with much better. If Conte is such a control freak how come he could not rectify these problems.
Son and more recently Kula have not been anyway as effective as last season but I am not sure how much is down to them or the change in roles. Injuries and the World cup have been a problem especially losing Bentencur who will miss a good part of next season as well and will struggle to get playing at his best before this time next season. He needs replacing if we are to improve next season.
It might be popular to blame Levy/ENIC but with the players and Management we had, we have underperformed. WE now have a Manager playing his former bosses tactics, a demoralised team, a suspended DOF and unhappy fans not backing the team.
It is a mess but get the right Manager and some good additions then next season could be better although if Kane leaves it will take longer.

Widely linked to Bremer, Bastoni (didn't move), Skriniar (wanted to run contract down, now likely to move to PSG on a free this summer) Ndicka (likely to move on a free this summer), Gvardiol (didn't move).

Fact is the only top CB who moved last summer was Bremer - who wanted to stay in Italy.

That despite Bastoni publicly praising Conte as the man who made him a top LCB .... but he didn't want to move from Inter last summer.

I'd guess Cote was pissed off - as much by Bastoni not wanting him as anything else

Paratici made a pragmatic move by taking LCB Lenglet on a 'try before you buy loan' Not a lot of other options. When your luck is out, its out.

BS excuses.

It started going wrong when Pochettino started being more pragmatic in his style to play more tactically sound against stronger opponents in CL, when we started buying pacey wingers like Son, Moura, Bergwijn, etc, instead of polishing the beautiful football we played in his second season. From then on we've gone from bad to worse, pretty much (although the definite lowpoint being hiring Mourinho). All in the name of titles. "We have to win titles NOW!", people shouted, and look where the inpatience brought us. Should have built stone by stone, taken our time, developed gradually, instead of pissing it all away.

This season never had a chance.

So if no top CB wants to move to ANY club (not just Spurs) who do you want signed ?

We have no idea who did or didn't want to move. We get some reports that may or may not be true.

Make a list of top CB targets. Do what it takes to sign one of them.

Clubs that are genuinely ambitious don't tolerate the lack of quality CBs that we have had for years.

Romero is the only quality CB the club have signed permanently in YEARS.

The excuses are a joke.

Last season... Possibly.

This season? Hell no.
We might be kind of saying the same thing, but Son, Kulusevski and Bentancur were all consistently outstanding performers in our roaring run-in last season.

We have not had access to those performances this season for the most part, and it really shows. There's not enough else in the squad to make up for that.

We know that Bastoni & Skriniar didn't..... Who are the 2 everyone whines about.
You know that because of some reports and quotes from an agent for Bastoni.

We have no idea what did or didn’t go on behind the scenes.

What we do know is the club failed again to get top level transfer business done.

Always a really well justified excuse. Always another failed season

We might be kind of saying the same thing, but Son, Kulusevski and Bentancur were all consistently outstanding performers in our roaring run-in last season.

Bentancur was v.arguably our best player this season until he got that mofo of an injury.

We have not had access to those performances this season for the most part, and it really shows. There's not enough else in the squad to make up for that.

Manage Son, Richy, Gil & Danjuma better and we could have done.... Even Kulu (pre-injury) got the dick treatment; being benched instead of Son.

Pissing away much of Biss, Spence & Sarr's season and making PEH 'Mr Undroppable' hasn't helped either.

Hands down a better squad/depth than last season.

Manage Son, Richy, Gil & Danjuma better and we could have done.... Even Kulu (pre-injury) got the dick treatment; being benched instead of Son.

Pissing away much of Biss, Spence & Sarr's season and making PEH 'Mr Undroppable' hasn't helped either.
Yeah, I tend to concur.

We are touching distance from 4th though. I certainly don't think there's a title challenge in those pieces.

Yeah, I tend to concur.

We are touching distance from 4th though.

As 'glass-half-full' as I usually am; I am convinced we won't be come the final table.

(Failing to take advantage or Chavs & Dippers being shit is a travesty...... I'd add a vastly over-rated Man U & NC to that list too.)

I certainly don't think there's a title challenge in those pieces.

No..... Not with our defensive issues and constant line-up flux in that department.

As 'glass-half-full' as I usually am; I am convinced we won't be come the final table.

(Failing to take advantage or Chavs & Dippers being shit is a travesty...... I'd add a vastly over-rated Man U & NC to that list too.)

No..... Not with our defensive issues and constant line-up flux in that department.
I mean if we wind up 8th having been 4th when Conte was sacked, I think the titular question of this thread will become rather clear wouldn't you?

It's really stunning how cavalier Levy has become about burning down his carefully laid plans.

You saying if we offer 50 million plus 100k per week for Bremer that he would say No? In Italy he is earning 85k. He'd probably have jumped for it. Not high by UK League winning team standards at all.

Levy doesn't want to pay "Decent wages". If you pay peanuts, you attract Monkeys.

No excuses. We want to be top 4. We have to pay top 4 money. Instead of investing in a housing project and art gallery, he should've invested in match winning players of the managers choice.

Back
Top Bottom