When does the cavalry arrive? - Gazza, Foyth, Sanchez, Sess, Lo Celso, Japhet Tanganganganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's exactly the problem, Pochettino has tried to please the fans too much...

The idea that between them Poch & Levy would allow the club to be run based upon fans whims & wishes scares the shit out of me....

Sess has played many games at left back for Fulham and started out there as well. I don’t see much of a role in LWF for us given Son or Lucas will be playing there but given we have a declining Rose and an average Davies LB is the obvious route for his development. He is 19 and I have seen him myself at LB for Fulham and England U21’s at LB, he has a lot of talent but needs further development.

Indeed.... If the plan isn't for RS to be a LB/LWB here I'll happily hold my hands up if proved wrong in time.

Well I wasn't the one advocating replacing players...

I just don't think the problem will change with those players coming in. Davies, Sanchez and Foyth haven't exactly set the world alight either when they have played. Although I would like to see more of Moura.

My point is we don't have the luxury of just benching all the underperforming first 11 like say Man City, which you're agreeing with?

I'm not saying underperforming players should get a free pass, just that wholesale changes from the bench is currently difficult.

My apologies if I was mistaken.

I'm not convinced even City (sic) could field an entirely different XI without their being some form of drop off, but surely you address what you can, where you can.

KWP or Sissoko / Sanchez (*) / Vert / Davies
Winks / Dier or Skipp / Ndombele
Lucas / Kane / Son​

(*whom played well with Jan previously)

......Looks decent enough to me and avoids playing players we suspect have checked out already.

Could just be that 5 years of poch training has killed everyones body. Must shorten the shelf life to train at high intensity all the time
The poch system must be over reliant on energy and fitness, but doesn't work so well when the players get older, it doesn't make the most of their increase in experience.
Assuming if we did have the likes of Aguero, Marcelo, Busquets, etc he would have run them into the ground as well by now.

Got to agree, need to make the change now, need a centre half and right back in January and Toby, Rose and especially Eriksen can sit in the stand until January
There is a big difference between what we need and what we will get.

Nobody is going to buy in Jan, it’s bad time and there won’t be interest when buyers can wait for June to get for free.

So if Toby. Vert and Eriksen leave for free, will Levy spend £100m on the positions you said we need?! NO. At best we may get one player.

Last edited:
According to your personal theory maybe, but where has he played the majority of his pro football?
He played left back in the youth teams but only broke through as a left winger or midfielder which is where he attracted our interest. When he played left back once or twice even against poor opposition he looked totally lost and had a shocker.

He might be able to become left back in the future ala Ashley Young, Tony Valencia etc but he's nowhere near a PL quality left back as of now.

Even Maitland Niles is a much better full back at the moment and I don't think we should be emulating our neighbour's defence..

So whats the latest on the summer signings? Are they fit?

Its a real pain all 3 arnt playing. We need a bit of enthusiasm

I think the official line is that Lo Celso May be fit for today in some capcity, Ndombele can’t last more than 25 minutes and is overweight. We also bought Sess broken and although training is some way off playing.

Laughable

Probably should change the title of the thread to "Will the cavalry be allowed to arrive or will Poch keep on picking his buddies".

Maybe none of the fringe players have sent Poch a text asking him to lunch...

To be fair, before this season or even last season if we sold any of Jan, Hugo, Erisken, Kane, Rose this place would lose its shit.

We’d be labeled a selling club that wasn’t interested in winning titles.

soooo we can’t have it both ways
That's exactly the problem, Pochettino has tried to please the fans too much...

The idea that between them Poch & Levy would allow the club to be run based upon fans whims & wishes scares the shit out of me....
It might have played into it a bit, look at the uproar when Vertonghen wasn't starting at the beginning of the season...

It might have played into it a bit, look at the uproar when Vertonghen wasn't starting at the beginning of the season...

Or an ageing player may have just found it took a little longer to get up to the default fitness levels....?

Who knows.... Pretty easy to come up with a thousand different theories if we're not called upon to substantiate them tho'.... Isn't that right, Twitter?

Or an ageing player may have just found it took a little longer to get up to the default fitness levels....?

Who knows.... Pretty easy to come up with a thousand different theories if we're not called upon to substantiate them tho'.... Isn't that right, Twitter?
Twitter isn't the cause of the problem mate dissenting voices have always been around when teams go to shit like we have, all social media has done is given us more access to disent direct with player's and media alike.

Poch won't drop his favourites though. He had the perfect opportunity yesterday to show the squad who the boss is but he went with the usual suspects and did not get a reaction to Tuesday's humiliation.

Players wanting away are still getting a starting spot whilst other players, some of whom have signed contract extensions sit out or get fifteen minutes.

Poch is a major part of our current problems and it won't change until he's gone.
Drop them for who though? We don't exactly have a world class bench to cherry pick from... Plus all the injuries.

No he's played most of his games as a left winger. Post on a Fulham board and ask the question if you need further evidence.

Sess has played many games at left back for Fulham and started out there as well. I don’t see much of a role in LWF for us given Son or Lucas will be playing there but given we have a declining Rose and an average Davies LB is the obvious route for his development. He is 19 and I have seen him myself at LB for Fulham and England U21’s at LB, he has a lot of talent but needs further development.

No he's played most of his games as a left winger. Post on a Fulham board and ask the question if you need further evidence.

If you'd said left winger or LB/LWB I'd have agree or at least agreed to disagree, but left midfielder?

Unless one is living in a trad. 442 world (which last time I checked, we at Spurs don't); LMF = Ndombele for us.

Yes, this may sound like picky semantics, but hey.....

Back
Top Bottom