Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'll give you that - I remember you were vocal back then and called for us to take a chance while we were somewhat better poised. Though I will never agree with your sentiment about domestic cups. Reaching CL final is worth more than winning League Cup 10 years in a row ;) .
And I think this is exactly how Poch felt. He knew we were so close. In his own words he said we are so close. He said we needed to be brave. Just that extra push at a crucial moment.

When we then become the first top flight club in Europe,to sign no one, at that critical time and despite Poch's plea's, it was inevitable that at some point we would start paying the price.

What's gone wrong ?

Not much really.

We qualified for the CL this season and finished fourth last season. Got knocked out at the semis of the league cup. Year before, same result we would have gone through to the final.

Saying that we are on a "bad run," going back to whenever is a bit nutty. One because unless there has been some pretty radical overhaul of the EPL last season's results don't count this season.

We needed to strengthen the squad - we did.

We had a good pre season. Beat Villa.Got a draw at City. Got beat by Newcastle - shit happens.

It's flipping nuts to make out we are in the midst of some sort of crisis. We are not.

We got to the CL final and we really were the better team.

Beat the South Londoners and suddenly everything will look different. If we don't makes it better when we do at NWHL.

We are a very good team, with a young talented squad, a good academy, we have loadsamoney, fantastic stadium.

COYS
Bizarre that you think it is proper to ignore last season. We have not played well for at least a year and even worse over the past 15 league games, relegation form. The fact that this looks to be continuing is worrying. We might beat Woolwich but we will struggle against Palace.

One of your pointless questions you threw at me yesterday was would klopp or pep be getting a better tune from our squad than Pochettino?

Yet you ask this question knowing full well neither would be on Levy's shortlist to replace Poch if you got your wish to see him sacked..
A prime example of your psychophantic hypocrisy
It matters fuck all if they are in a shortlist and you know it.

The ONLY point being made is that if either could do a better job with this exact squad, then our problems cannot be due to squad quality.

Klopp can do a better job but because he won’t come that means our squad is shit”.....that is basically your argument and it’s pathetic.

The amount of venom with which you attack our own manager and players, in contrast to the love and adulation you bestow on the boardroom is bordering on disturbing.

At the end of the day we both agree we're going through an alarming slump in form.
The question being asked is that because Poch has become a poor manager overnight or have years of underspending, culminating in the fiasco last summer, finally taken their toll.

Deep down, Sammy, you know it's not just down to Poch, don't you.
And that realisation must be beating you up inside.

Man up for a change and accept you lost the argument .

Yet no different from the venom you spit at the chairman and half the squad who you think are shit and have no right to play at this level.

You’re no better just because your vitriol is aimed at someone else.

Deep down the only thing I know is that the manager used to get a lot more out of these very same players.
Eriksen and Kane are not poor because we didn’t buy Ndombele...oh that’s right we did didn’t we.

Maybe you think that dropping Jan and Eriksen is ok now. Because of the summer of 2018?
You agree that Eriksen should play every game and is our best player and you also agree that he should be dropped.

Because it’s not Pochs fault he dropped him right? It’s the chairman’s because we didn’t sign Dybala and Wan Bissaka.....

Absolute shower of shit you talk and you fucking know it

Liverpool got to City's level by spending wisely and sensibly. They realised they had a world class manager and as soon as that penny dropped, they changed their transfer strategy and started really backing him.

Us, on the other handed, waited until this Summer before panicking and finally spending some proper money, arguably 3 years too late.

What is this fallacy about Klopp winning stuff because he was backed. They didn’t spend a penny this year yet look as good.

He dropped Kieta and Fabinho for large parts of the season and stuck with Milner and Henderson. Would you want them under Poch?
They have an academy RB and a 9M LB from Hull.

They spent 60M on a keeper who wouldn’t look out of place in the 14M bracket.
VVD, let’s call him world class then to make people happy....75M, ok, that’s one.
Thats 135M on two players most clubs would have got for 70M combined.

Salah cost less than Sanchez, Lo Celso and Ndombele....Mane cost the same as Sissoko and Lamela.

It’s not spending, it’s called coaching and good tactics.

Last edited:
One of your pointless questions you threw at me yesterday was would klopp or pep be getting a better tune from our squad than Pochettino?

Yet you ask this question knowing full well neither would be on Levy's shortlist to replace Poch if you got your wish to see him sacked..
A prime example of your psychophantic hypocrisy

The amount of venom with which you attack our own manager and players, in contrast to the love and adulation you bestow on the boardroom is bordering on disturbing.

At the end of the day we both agree we're going through an alarming slump in form.
The question being asked is that because Poch has become a poor manager overnight or have years of underspending, culminating in the fiasco last summer, finally taken their toll.

Deep down, Sammy, you know it's not just down to Poch, don't you.
And that realisation must be beating you up inside.

Man up for a change and accept you lost the argument .
When I used to argue with him he kept telling me city & Liverpool were shit. Klopp & pep are shit.

hA6268ABA

The best thing I have read on here in days - he is the Tim Henman of football management.

Ossie Wembley superb!! 👍🏻
Problem is. If we sack tim henman we will have to replace him with Jamie Murray.
I couldn't think of a well known rubbish tennis player. I guess that's why they aren't well known.

When I used to argue with him he kept telling me city & Liverpool were shit. Klopp & pep are shit.

How wrong I was. No problem admitting it.

Now we find ourselves in a situation where you mocked me for saying Poch was better than both.
But when it transpires that isn’t the case, you now mock me for saying they are better......

So basically, when Klopp had won fuck all and finished behind us, and we were finishing above City, people were lauding Klopp and Pep while I was backing Poch.

Two City titles, an FA and two Carabou cups plus a CL for Liverpool later, and people now think Poch is the better manager.

Fucking state of you

I only played grass roots football, when I played for good teams which won leagues & county cups, if we were 1 or 2 goals down I could look round the pitch and think " he can score & he can score & he can score so can I , him him and him can produce a bit of magic" and we normally won the games, when I played for poor teams even at 0-0 with a few minutes to go you just knew we would lose, and we normally did
when I look round the spurs team there is only Kane I would expect to score, Son Lucas, Eriksen, Dele are hit and miss, they may go on a ran of scoring for a few games then it stops, from corners and freekicks I never expect us to score, if eriksen's not on the pitch who will give a goal scoring pass ?
If i feel that way about the team watching how do the players feel ?

Our net spend over the last 5 years is higher. Remember, they've been sell to buy as well, and last summer it's fairly clear they spent most of this summer's budget
Net spend is irrelevant here. They spent their money much more wisely than we did and backed their manager much earlier.
If roles were swapped and it was them who spend nothing last season, would they have pushed City to within an inch of the title and won the Champions League? Would they fuck.

What is this fallacy about Klopp winning stuff because he was backed. They didn’t spend a penny this year yet look as good.

He dropped Kieta and Fabinho for large parts of the season and stuck with Milner and Henderson. Would you want them under Poch?
They have an academy RB and a 9M LB from Hull.

They spent 60M on a keeper who wouldn’t look out of place in the 14M bracket.
VVD, let’s call him world class then to make people happy....75M, ok, that’s one.
Thats 135M on two players most clubs would have got for 70M combined.

Salah cost less than Sanchez, Lo Celso and Ndombele....Mane cost the same as Sissoko and Lamela.

It’s not spending, it’s called coaching and good tactics.
There's so much nonsense in that post I genuinely can't be bothered replying to it, I'd be here all day.

Let me pose this question to you though; if roles were swapped and it was us who strengthened last Summer and Liverpool signed no one, who in your opinion would have won the Champions League?

There's so much nonsense in that post I genuinely can't be bothered replying to it, I'd be here all day.

Let me pose this question to you though; if roles were swapped and it was us who strengthened last Summer and Liverpool signed no one, who in your opinion would have won the Champions League?

Impossible to say....are you saying that if we signed Sessegnon, Lo Celso, Clarke and Ndombele 12 months ago, and Liverpool didn’t buy Keita, Allison and Fabinho we would have won the CL?

We just now strengthened and they didn’t so I guess you expect to win the CL this season on that basis.

What a load of wank....are you saying our injuries and fatigue wouldn’t have affected us if we bought these players last summer.
You do realise that two are already injured and one isn’t even here.

We should have won it regardless of signings, we shit the bed. Liverpool didn't have to play well to win it. It wasn't their signings or strenghening that won that final for them but rather our own failings in a one off match.
Just a bloody shame that the management and players that done so well to make the final had a massive collective fecking off day.

Levys achieving his targets though, off the pitch where his duties lie.

On the pitch however.......
On the pitch he is failing to invest in players properly. I mean a whole transfer window without signings to help the manager is the worst thing a chairman can do. Brilliant from Poch to get us to the CL without the chairman helping him out. If anything the chairman sold Dembele in January and made the squad even weaker.

We should have won it regardless of signings, we shit the bed. Liverpool didn't have to play well to win it. It wasn't their signings or strenghening that won that final for them but rather our own failings in a one off match.
Just a bloody shame that the management and players that done so well to make the final had a massive collective fecking off day.
Dont think 'we should have won it' is fair.

Lucas ,Son and Kane are not as good as Mane, Firmino and Salah
The likes of Wijnaldum , Henderson and Fabinho are better than Sissoko, Winks , Eriksen
VVD is the best defender from both teams
Alexander Arnold shits all over trippier and Robertson does the same against Rose.
Goalies are on par probably.

Based on players they should have won.

Back
Top Bottom