Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Three games in and this season is already a write off. I've been trying to make sense of it and its bugging me so three things have come to mind.

1. Since we moved to Wembley, Lesser opposition have come to us with one strategy: Park the bus for 40 mins of each half and attack the last 5. How have we got this far and not worked out a way to break this down? What are the City's and Liverpool's doing differently? Are these teams showing us far too much respect?

Of course its going to be hard to get past two banks of 5, time wasting and all the rest of it. It strikes me that City and Liverpool are moving the ball quicker and more intelligently, we seem to be reluctant to take players on 1v1 which is where the space opens up. Most importantly, we have no one who is capable of taking long range shots or again reluctant to. Son seems most capable but he probably needs to play deeper in that case. We could easily concede 3 or 4 goals with our current defensive set up if these teams actually played the game.

2. Lack of motivation, almost getting there, is that the most we can expect? Is Poch running out of patience? 18 months ago, he probably had one or two problem area's, now he seems to have 5 or 6 and hardly many options to resolve it. RB injuries and lack of back ups, so many Midfield options, but virtually no like for likes.

3. I say this with an open mind and I don't really want to believe it but corruption. When there is so much money involved, it would be naive to say there is no possibility of it, it's happened in Italian leagues, Scottish leagues and others. Why not the PL, a league which has a somewhat excessive input from the media, TV channels and betting companies, we have the exact same referees year after year. Even with the strongest will, i think you have to question the integrity of certain things that happen every year. Newcastle to win yesterday was 12/1.

With the very utmost of respect how do you REALLY know how Levy operates ?? None of us do, except what we hear via the media and transfer hype. The next manager (whenever that may be) will be asked for his plans and given targets and objectives. He will then explain what he requires in order for those goals to be achieved and a timeframe, particularly from a financial basis.

Should Levy say "I'm quite happy with top four every season and the money that brings" then undoubtedly HE is the problem. Should Daniel genuinely crave silverware success then he has to surely realise a new ambitious manager will demand backing in the transfer market to bring in the players he requires.
With respect you can't begin to second guess what levy craves the smart money would be on making a ton of money each year out of gullible fans and if a trophy should come along then it's a bonus.

With respect you can't begin to second guess what levy craves the smart money would be on making a ton of money each year out of gullible fans and if a trophy should come along then it's a bonus.

As I said 'none of us do' know what Levy thinks and I began the point about interviewing with "Should Levy say". It's all guesswork and individual opinion...personally I suspect you are right :

The smart money would be on making a ton of money each year out of gullible fans and if a trophy should come along then it's a bonus.
:thumbup:

We know teams like Newcastle will come to ours and park the proverbial bus and try and Nick a goal on the break.

We should be at teams like this from the first whistle, high tempo and get the ball forward quickly, it's not rocket science. All I see is us having lots of possession and going sideways, down the wings then passing it back or sideways, it's so frustrating, bloody possession of the ball is one thing but we are allowing well drilled teams to simply sit back and organise.

There are clearly issues with the squad, whatever the issues with jan, poch has to sort it, regardless of his age, he is our best defender and unlike Toby appears to want to be here.

Winks needs to pass the ball forward and stop playing so conservatively, moura is frustrating but give him his due, he is at least trying to be offensive.

Son returning will help, as will dele, providing he can find his form of eighteen months ago.

The one grinding my gears is Eriksen, I don't know where his heads at but he's fucking deluded if he thinks Madrid or the other plastic corporation in Spain will pay a fee for him and personally if he wants out then either get rid this week or give him a season the bench, some of these players need their egos bringing into line.

Big few weeks for poch coming up....

The whole thing has gone stale, football moves very quickly nowadays except at Spurs where the same players have been doing the same things under the same manager and coaching staff and it's never won them anything and is obviously never going to.

The whole thing has gone stale, football moves very quickly nowadays except at Spurs where the same players have been doing the same things under the same manager and coaching staff and it's never won them anything and is obviously never going to.

It's an interesting thought.

We're so concerned about keeping our "best" players. At what point are our "best" players still not good enough to take us where we need to be?

Last edited:
This is what has gone wrong:

Does this mean Crystal Palace are going to get Champions League football?

tenor.gif

Couldnt agree more - are we supposed to accept that every August (3-4 games) at the start of the season we are going to be in poor form?

I think that's unacceptable. You have a pre season and time to prepare like every team, it's an awful excuse.
I expect the team to be ready to get the necessary results although I accept there may be mitigating circumstances sometimes - injuries, new signings etc
Agreed. I don’t see / hear of any other club crying about the TW affecting their start to the season.

I did find it insulting to my intelligence that they close the window early to settle the squad down and then have an unsettled squad until 4 games are gone ( 1 win. 1 win & 2 defeats )

Pathetic

Couldnt agree more - are we supposed to accept that every August (3-4 games) at the start of the season we are going to be in poor form?

I think that's unacceptable. You have a pre season and time to prepare like every team, it's an awful excuse.
I expect the team to be ready to get the necessary results although I accept there may be mitigating circumstances sometimes - injuries, new signings etc

Seems like Poch should be tested to see if he's bipolar.

One press conference he speaks about how he help bring Ndombele here. Few weeks later he says he has nothing to do with transfers.

One press conference he's happy with the squad. Then he's complaining about the window being open for the rest of Europe.

You don't hear other managers complaining like this. We broke our transfer record twice this window.

Stop bitching and get to work.

Theories on our long term malaise are irrelevant really.

This has a likely short term end.

If Pochettino can turn it round we will fly but he has failed to rid the rotten eggs and that is likely to be his downfall, as much as a really insane reliance on Kane, who actually gives the impression of someone who is not sure he is the top striker he once was.

I think the team is just drained from Poch and Poch is finding it hard to motivate them again. It is very similar to Mourinho who ends up pushing everyone away by the 3rd season due to the pressure he applies to the players that it becomes so tiring the players end up turning on him.

The reality is that Poch isn't a tactician his primary way of managing when he came to us was a high energy press system that overwhelmed opposition and had our players in top physical shape. His substitution were always delayed and he wasn't very flexible. Compare that football to the one we play now it is unrecognizable. The speed and aggression almost completely disappeared and we turned into a possession heavy team without any risk or strategy that maximizes the possession.

Poch just doesn't seem to be the same, if he is tired of the situation he finds himself in and wants to leave I would have no objections to it. He is one of the longest serving managers in world football, of the top of my head I can only think of Simone who has been longer at one club than Poch.

I'm encouraged by the vibrancy of the Poch Out/Who's Next? debate going on in here.
I believe the soul of our club, manifest in the reveries of this forum, will pull us through. It might even save Poch

Back
Top Bottom