Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
So sick of hearing people say if we spend anymore than we earn we will go bankrupt and die.

Ffs, it's not 2003 anymore. Get real.
For us to spend enough for us to go broke it would have to hundreds and hundreds of million and we'd probably need to get relegated for it to really hit home.
The financial landscape of football has changed so much since Leeds "did a Leeds" and the money is so great that we could change our model.
But we won't. Levy will sack pochettino for not turning water into wine and bread into fish. He'll then turn to another cheap, promising, cheap, trendy, cheap, up and coming, cheap, next big thing, cheap manager for the next 5 years.

We seem to spend less, as a percentage of all the income than most championship teams.

Unfortunately, as things stand, I think the club is far too valuable for anyone to buy ENIC out. Anyone wanting to buy into a football club would be looking at an Everton, Leicester, Villa sort of club where it would be hundreds of millions, not billions.

Your views pretty much mirror mine. ENIC will always be ENIC. I am also very questioning of where the truth lies with the “record” profits.

Seems to me the club is actually skint reading between the bullshit lines.

For a club that seemed to get away with a lot of miss steps by suggesting they did not want to “do a Leeds” that £600 million debt, players screaming to escape, piss poor performances, and 14th place looking downwards seems very much like we might be doing a Leeds...........

Pretty sure Leeds were deemed too good to go down

I think by far our biggest issue has been squad building for the last few seasons. We have not been proactive in dealing with our issues at fullback, backup striker, central midfield, central defense and now I fear we are going to potentially need a new keeper next summer after Lloris’ injury. Other sides deal with their needs way better than we do.

We had a need at RB ever since we sold Walker, but persisted with Trippier even though he’s not an ideal replacement for him. As Dembele started to age and become more injured, we needed a replacement and didn’t get one until Ndombele. Rose has been inconsistent and mostly crap for 18-24 months, and we hadn’t addressed this until maybe Sessegnon? We aren’t quite sure where he is going to end up yet. We have had a need at defensive midfield really since the start of last season and haven’t addressed it. We still need a backup striker too.

This falls on both Levy and Pochettino for our current issues. It’s not an or situation, they both have made mistakes that has gotten us to this point.

You only need to look at Liverpool to see how long an exile from the top table can last. In the 7 years between 2009 and 2019 they had one top 4 finish, the Rodgers season. It can easily happen to us, it's happening to Manchester United and Woolwich so of course it can happen to us.

I'm not saying it can't happen to us. The thing is it also takes the wrong strategy and some bad decisions to take us there. I hope it won't be the case.

Who on earth suggested that?

But don't you think it's good to take a risk once in a while?
Surely, as a football fan, you'd get more excitement from winning a title than the announcement of world record breaking profits!

Surely scenes like this

C_ke7UAXgAANE52.jpg

Should be getting us more excited than headlines like this

Tottenham make world-record £113m profit despite costs of new stadium
The first begets the second. They are not mutually exclusive, they are sequential.

I think there’s a bigger picture. ENIC have heavily invested in the infrastructure of the club, such as the stadium, training ground, and global advertising. Stuff that has meaningful long-term value for an investments company. Those are the intangibles.

Investing in the team is the tangible. Half the battle is appealing to the desired player. If they show a willingness to sign then ideally there should be some give and take and we do what we can to bring them in. We seem to have missed out on a few players through excessive brinkmanship. It’s the same when trying to sell players. Football transfers don’t operate like a normal market, and I’ve never thought Levy ever really grasped that.

He’ll need to soon, because the stadium will become a white elephant if it doesn’t have a competitive team playing inside it.
All good points, Jerry.
Eloquently and politely put forward as always.

:adesalute:

PS. The fuck are you doing on a yellow card mate?

109 is significant these days? Pretty sure more people would vote in a poll asking what everyone’s favourite colour is. Mate.
Significant on a Forum thread yes. I would say. 187 votes cast.
Why not try your theory out? Post the poll?
Mine's pink, btw

And yet 185 people (75% of those that voted) want Levy to stay in the "Levy Out" thread.
Yes, they did. And see my post below.
He took control of one of the biggest names in English football 20 fucking years ago and we've seen 1 capital one cup since!
Yet he's still worshipped by many as the second coming.

DecentEmotionalLadybird-size_restricted.gif

It's one of the mysteries of modern humanity.

I'm sure, in decades / centuries to come, scholars and historians will look back on it with incredulity.
Considering the cult status he enjoys on here Stevee, 1 in 4 now saying enough is enough is considerably higher than I expected.

However this poll was not asking the same question. It was simply asking where the finger of blame should lie for our alarming collapse in fortune.
Most people, who voted, correctly agreed that failing to back Pochettino when he called for it started the downwards spiral we've been on ever since .

You may not agree with the result but surely you're not gonna dispute it!

Yes, they did. And see my post below.

Considering the cult status he enjoys on here Stevee, 1 in 4 now saying enough is enough is considerably higher than I expected.

However this poll was not asking the same question. It was simply asking where the finger of blame should lie for our alarming collapse in fortune.
Most people, who voted, correctly agreed that failing to back Pochettino when he called for it started the downwards spiral we've been on ever since .

You may not agree with the result but surely you're not gonna dispute it!

And it's a fair shout but it still fails to recognise Pochettino's limitations, namely not being a winner.

Clear and present evidence of that which was always my biggest gripe.

And it's a fair shout but it still fails to recognise Pochettino's limitations, namely not being a winner.

Clear and present evidence of that which was always my biggest gripe.
That's fair enough, and I accept people may hold that pov.
But it wasn't the question being asked. Had Poch been properly backed when he was crying out for it, I don't think we'd be in the position we're in today. With a failing, ailing, ageing squad picking up 1 point in 6 against Norwich and Southampton.
And it's clear the majority of those who voted agree.

That's fair enough, and I accept people may hold that pov.
But it wasn't the question being asked. Had Poch been properly backed when he was crying out for it, I don't think we'd be in the position we're in today. With a failing, ailing, ageing squad picking up 1 point in 6 against Norwich and Southampton.
And it's clear the majority of those who voted agree.

Yep so do I.

And now we need Mourinho to sort in the short term and a system in place for the longer term and the next Pochettino.

The whole club from chairman to manager to player, and maybe fans as well, stopped doing what we had been doing.

We collectively thought we had made it. We stopped seeking the hungry and always in Pochettino's case the slightly difficult to handle mavericks and within that the good deals.

A salutary lesson to all of us that the second you take your eye off the ball or chase a different model without working even harder that you slip very quickly and in our case very dramatically.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything.

I am sure there could be even more so I won't say too much.

If there is a chink of light and I am not sure there is and certainly no one showing it at present, is that it gives opportunity to others to make a statement.

Sadly I think we are in a sh!t place and am just grateful we do have points on the board.

Amazing position to be in.

Back
Top Bottom