Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think some of it stems from the fact that certain players and maybe even the manager himself now feel that they are too good for us, and maybe we are holding them back.

Buts newsflash, nobody came in for you Toby despite the buyout only being 25 million, Real Madrid and Barca weren't climbing over themselves and beating down the door Christian,

And Poch I hate to break it to you but the real big boys aren't touching you with a bargepole either while there is this lingering doubt, and that doubt is, you've won NOTHING, ZERO.

Time all of them realized this is the best its going to get for them, signed some contracts, get their heads down, work hard, get the smiles back on faces. And maybe just maybe if we can re-create some of that earlier magic we can get some kind of trophy this season.

He's dragged us out the shit a few times in that period too, mind.
A slump in the teams form of this magnitude can't be put down to one player. There's clearly an underlying issue.
It's either down to a manager failing in his job of motivating and arranging his team.
Or its a deeper lying issue of years of under investment coming home to roost in the form of want- away players and a staleness set within the squad.
True. He did also drag us out the shit a few times. And you could argue it's problematic that we have become so dependent on him in the first place.

I think of the two things you mention it's the latter. I trust in Poch. Even if he does take part of the blame (and I think he would accept part of the blame), I think it would be completely mad to get rid of him.

Good To-Dare-Is-To-Do skills. Bill Nick would be proud.

Hmmmm...

I hope to God Pochettino uses a siege mentality approach.

We are not alone in having issues as far as the so called big 6 are concerned.

But I said continually that the gap between us and those below us was paper thin. I don't think any manager from 6 to 20 would not swap squads but there is a growing sense of trouble.

A win against Woolwich would start a turnaround. A likelier loss will propel the downward spiral..

Seriously we had 38 crosses .... the fact nobody got on the end of any of them is the issue ... it's what Dele does so well ... and hopefully Ndombele and LoCelso ... not Son, Lucas or indeed Lamela, all Newcastle had to do was mass mark Kane, which they did ... maybe this was a game where Parrott would have been a decent option, shame he's not fully fit ...
Firing shite inaccurate hopeful crosses into the box against low table opposition is not the solution to breaking them down-you are ALWAYS outnumbered in the box by big lumps who are bought to do exactly that-get their head on crosses, complete waste of time.

Disagree.

Pochettino is talking as though he can't handle the unease within the squad. That ends in a few days and then he says what?

Had this been a 3 game start off the back of a strong season end there would be no real discussion.

I am not saying the situation is irretrievable but the game yesterday was a concern because I thought after 55 mins we were not going to win.

I cannot remember the last time I was confident that we would win, the last time I thought Kane would be dominant or when I thought we have just given a master class.

We have Woolwich next week, a game I have no doubt we will lose. None whatsoever. If the defeat is heavy then Pochettino will need to look over his shoulders.

It's not about whether someone can do better but whether other managers would do worse at this stage.

It needs a turnaround and that is not knee jerk. One additional striker aside this is a good squad of players, either not being coached well enough, lacking confidence in the manager or in need of a new voice.................possibly.
Yesterday was the worst I can remember us playing- in a game that mattered- for a long time. Something definitely seems wrong and that is worrying. Poch is clearly pissed off. At the end of 17/18 season it sounded like he got promises that we would spend that summer which never materialised. He has far from full control over transfers. It must be frustrating dealing with Levy. There's the other obvious issues, especially players running down their contracts and the uncertainty about that.

Look at where we were before Poch. He took us from that to the CL final and consistently qualifying for top four, and to the occasional sniff of a title challenge. He deserves more time. A lot more time. If he wants to stay that is, and I can imagine him leaving voluntarily, which IMO would be a disaster. I don't like this tendency for teams to get rid of a manager at a drop of a hat. If things still look as bad as they do now at the end of the season, think about it then.

Ultimately we will only know if we have been over or underachieving under Poch if he leaves/is sacked, and looking at what happens next, but my strong belief is that given the conditions he's under, he has overachieved signficantly. It surprises me that so many people seem to disagree with this, but each to their own.

Oh most definately . They're turning on Poch all right.
Just as I and others predicted back in the Summer of 2018.

When the complacency and negligence at the top of the club inevitably filters down to performances on the pitch there's only one man the fans will turn their venom on.

And he ain't 5ft 2" with a shiny bald head.
Think it's more complacency on the training ground and in matches rather than levy the team can't defend properly, midfield struggles to link up and create with Kane getting less touches of the ball than the ball boys, you can't blame levy for that the team has been on the slide for a while but we keep flogging the same horse that isn't working.

Firing shite inaccurate hopeful crosses into the box against low table opposition is not the solution to breaking them down-you are ALWAYS outnumbered in the box by big lumps who are bought to do exactly that-get their head on crosses, complete waste of time.
38 crosses and we can't get on the end of one was truly woeful.

It's funny... we're actually in a similar position to the one Liverpool were on at the start of LAST season...
After a barren decade (trophy-wise, and some near misses) they at least had CL Final appearance to show for a decent enough season.
Addressing some of the missing pieces by buying new recruits (GK) but not all the missing pieces in our case.... (RB/back-up striker)

Only difference is, Liverpool were almost ENCOURAGED by the entire country to push on and have the magnificent season they did... we somehow don't seem ALLOWED to do that!

It's funny... we're actually in a similar position to the one Liverpool were on at the start of LAST season...
After a barren decade (trophy-wise, and some near misses) they at least had CL Final appearance to show for a decent enough season.
Addressing some of the missing pieces by buying new recruits (GK) but not all the missing pieces in our case.... (RB/back-up striker)

Only difference is, Liverpool were almost ENCOURAGED by the entire country to push on and have the magnificent season they did... we somehow don't seem ALLOWED to do that!
We are certainly the team that everyone loves to hate these days.

Back
Top Bottom