What we wanted -vs- What we got - 2013/14 Edition

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

zin

Supporter
Last year, based on numerous polls, votes were cast for the team that forum members wanted to see for the 2012/13 season. This was a team based on a 4-4-2 at the time (due to Harry still being in charge) and included players such as Modric and van der Vaart in it. As it turned out those two left but we got a new central defender (Vertonghen) and a new keeper (Lloris) as was wanted however we missed out on getting a new striker (Damião) and we also failed in our bid to get Moutinho. Regardless of this our incomings of Dempsey, Sigurðsson and Dembélé with AVB as our new manager shifted us to a 4-2-3-1 which we expected to look a little something like this throughout the season:

jmmLzqB.png

As the season progressed Bale moved to a role behind the striker with Dempsey and Sigurðsson sharing duties on the left. Our left back position was shared even more with Naughton, Vertonghen and BAE all having a go and with Kaboul getting injured in the first game of the season Caulker, Gallas and the eventually Dawson stepped in to cover. Defoe and Adebayor shared striker duties with Sandro and Parker having half a season each due to their respective injuries and Lloris finally becoming first choice some time in November. Essentially we looked a little something like this:

CLLpA2t.jpg

Kaboul aside we got to see most of the first XI we expected.

Back in May, to much mockery, I again made a number of polls to determine how we saw our squad and how we wanted to improve on it for the 2013/14 season. The results were based on a 4-2-3-1 formation and were as follows:

vFDJZlm.jpg

Subs: Archer (U-21), Caulker (HG), Dawson (HG), Holtby, Sigurðsson (HG), Townsend (HG), New Striker.

Squad: Friedel, Smith (HG), Rose (HG), Naughton (HG), Assou-Ekotto, Carroll (U-21), New Ball Winning/Deep-Lying Midfielder, Dempsey, Adebayor, Kane (U-21).

Sell: Gomes, Gallas, Livermore (HG), Parker (HG), Huddlestone (HG), Falqué, Defoe (HG), Obika (HG).

Now with the transfer window over let's go over what we got.

Goalkeepers

Lloris proved last season that he was the keeper we have been crying out for and as a result the votes for first choice keeper were pretty clear. Less clear was who we wanted on the bench as 25% of voters wanted Friedel gone and replaced with someone else. This resulted with young Jordan Archer finding himself as our second choice keeper and Friedel as third choice, a highly unlikely scenario for the season. Gomes, as with the previous year(s), failed to be sold and so remains with us to run down the last year of his contract. At least we now only have 3 senior keepers instead of the 4 we had at the start of last season when Cudicini was still around.

1. Hugo Lloris
2. Brad Friedel
3. Heurelho Gomes
+ Jordan Archer (U-21)

Fullbacks

As with last year Kyle Walker remains our first choice right-back, Benoît Assou-Ekotto however no longer remains our first choice left-back with over 40% of voters wanting to see him sold and just under 60% wanting a new first choice left-back. As it turned out he was frozen out of the first team and is now out on loan at QPR. The new fullback we wanted however never materialised and Danny Rose, back after a successful loan spell with Sunderland, gets to be first choice, something less than 20% of voters wanted. This leaves Kyle Naughton as backup fullback once again for both positions as Adam Smith, who was the backup option to Kyle Walker in the voting, is now out on loan at Derby County. We are a quite thin in the fullback department with Vertonghen, Kaboul and perhaps Chiricheș likely to have to provide backup throughout the season. Fryers was not included in the polls but I have added him to the list below as he now seems to be an option.

4. Kyle Walker (HG)
5. Danny Rose (HG)
6. Kyle Naughton (HG)
+ Zeki Fryers (U-21) (not included in polls)

Central Defenders

William Gallas was released as expected following the end of his contract however what was surprising was the departure of Steven Caulker to Cardiff City having been expected to provide at least cover from the bench. As 25% of voters wanted us to have a fifth central defender for the season having only three seemed unlikely and the club addressed this with the signing of Vlad Chiricheș as well as defensive midfielder Étienne Capoue who can play in defence as well. With Younes Kaboul now back from injury our central defence has more squad depth than last year and with Jan Vertonghen performing so well in his first season with us it seems unlikely we will need to strengthen in this area for the forseeable future.

7. Jan Vertonghen
8. Younes Kaboul
9. Michael Dawson (HG)
10. Vlad Chiricheș

Defensive/Ball Winning Midfielders/Deep Lying Playmakers

Another area where we have strengthened, having not expected to, with Paulinho and Étienne Capoue coming in to provide more muscle and height in the middle of the park. Most voters were happy with Dembélé, Sandro, Holtby and Carroll as four players for two positions but with Carroll now out on loan at QPR there are five players vying for two spots in a 4-2-3-1 formation, however with AVB utilising a 4-3-3 formation as well all players should see plenty of game time. Huddlestone and Parker had over 55% of voters wanting them sold and so they were, to Hull City and Fulham respectively, and with Livermore also receiving a low number of votes to be kept on he has also been loaned out to Hull City for the season.

11. Mousa Dembélé
12. Sandro Ranieri
13. Paulinho
14. Lewis Holtby
15. Étienne Capoue

Attacking Midfielders / Wingers

A number of voters wanted at least one more player in one of the 3 positions of a 4-2-3-1. With over 60% of voters preferring Holtby in the more withdrawn role this became more of a requirement even with Andros Townsend back from a successful loan spell with QPR. Gylfi Sigurðsson's and Holtby's first seasons at the club meant that although nobody wanted them sold only about 25-30% of voters wanted them in the first team. Dempsey's season saw just over 55% of voters wanting him to be kept on and he ended up being sold to the Seattle Sounders in the MLS. Falqué received just over 50% of the votes to be sold and has gone out on a season-long loan to Rayo Vallecano in La Liga.

This essentially left us with a strong bench of Holtby, Sigurðsson and Townsend but with only Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon as first choice and with Real Madrid managing to take our best player for the second season running (this time for a world record transfer) we were left with another gap that needed to be filled. Thankfully the club managed to bring in Erik Lamela from Roma, Nacer Chadli from Twente and Christian Eriksen from Ajax, so not only did we cover the loss of Bale we also added two more players when we only expected one allowing us to have two players for each position and again great strength in depth. As both Eriksen and Lamela are under the age of 21 they do not require to be registered as part of the squad of 25.

16. Nacer Chadli
17. Aaron Lennon (HG)
18. Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
19. Andros Towsend (HG)
+ Erik Lamela (U-21)
+ Christian Eriksen (U-21)

Strikers

Having managed to finally make Adebayor's loan spell permanent last season we still only ended up with two recognised senior strikers, both of whom did not perform well at all. As a result, over 50% of voters wanted Defoe out and over a third wanted Adebayor, Kane and Obika out. A new striker was demanded, if not two, and Roberto Soldado came in for a club record fee. None were sold or loaned out so we have essentially strengthened in this area as well however it is unlikely Adebayor or Defoe will like being third choice (or even second choice) seeing as we now tend to play with only one striker. They will both need to adapt to the team to get some game time and so far it seems like Defoe is AVB's preferred choice although with Adebayor not getting an expected move away things may change. Dawkins has been included in this list as he will need to be registered in the 25 man squad to play games for us.

20. Roberto Soldado
21. Jermain Defoe (HG)
22. Emmanuel Adebayor
23. Jonathan Obika (HG)
24. Simon Dawkins (HG) (not included in polls)
+ Harry Kane (U-21)

Conclusion

An incredible transfer window. Although we have lost Gareth Bale we have built up our team with a stronger first eleven and most importantly with an excellent squad. The only name in the list of 25 that probably doesn't belong is Obika (and I suppose Gomes) but when you look at last year's squad list which included Falqué, Livermore, Bentley, Gallas and Jenas all who barely got any game time, if any at all, you can see how much more strength we have in the squad now. We are also a much more versatile team with only a handful of players unable to play in different positions and we are also a much more powerful team with the additions of Paulinho, Chiricheș, Capoue and Chadli.

We will likely concede less goals this season whilst having more possession and if Lamela and Eriksen can provide the assists we should start scoring more as well. It should be noted that Lamela mostly played on the right for Roma however as he is left-footed and Lennon was voted as first choice at the time I have placed him on the left, as he is probably the most versatile of the 3. Chances are Lennon may lose his place with it being unclear just yet who will be playing on the left.

We are almost the complete package now with perhaps the left-back position needing to be addressed only, whether that's in terms of first choice or squad depth however remains to be seen. Even the disappointments of losing Gareth Bale and missing out on Willian can not hide how much we have owned the transfer window this summer!

oCidT2c.jpg

Last edited:
Conclusion

An incredible transfer window. Although we have lost Gareth Bale we have built up our team with a stronger first eleven and most importantly with an excellent squad. The only name in the list of 25 that probably doesn't belong is Obika (and I suppose Gomes) but when you look at last year's squad list which included Falqué, Livermore, Bentley, Gallas and Jenas all who barely got any game time, if any at all, you can see we have much more strength we have in the squad now. We are also a much more versatile team with only a handful of players unable to play in different positions and we are also much more powerful team with the additions of Paulinho, Chiricheș, Capoue and Chadli.

We will likely concede less goals this season whilst having more possession and if Lamela and Eriksen can provide the assists we should start scoring more as well. We are almost the complete package now with perhaps the left-back position needing to be addressed only, whether that's in terms of first choice or squad depth however remains to be seen. Even the disappointments of losing Gareth Bale and missing out on Willian can not hide how much we have owned the transfer window this summer!

oCidT2c.jpg

Spot on Zin, when I look at the change that has happened in our side over the last year, what I see is that we lost balance a little. Our left flank was all over the place last year, what with Bale moving inside, and Naughton often being favoured at left back. I'm not saying the solution we have will be perfect, but with the signings of Chadli, and Lamela (Who IMO is more likely to play on the right) we now at least have some semblance of shape. Especially with a left footed full back now being accepted by AVB.

We did exceptional business this window, and having ended the window with a zero net spend we perhaps have money to strengthen in January if needed. The fact that some south london nomads signed one player should not put a downer on our performance this summer.

Excellent, piece of analysis. Looking at the two line ups from the begining of last season and today's squad. The only major loss is Bale. Clearly we need some time to bed in the new players and get them used to the system. However I am sure come December we'll really know how good we are. The important thing is we have excellent cover for any major injuries. The loss of Sandro was key last season and in Capoue we have an upgrade to Parker. I do fear for Dembele as his guaranteed starting position at the moment looks like a weak link in midfield, as a potential comparison to what Eriksen or even Holtby offer seems to be the better option, guile and creativity over the brute running. Plus they may have more goals and assists in their locker.

I am disappointed with the loss of BAE as I think he would have been useful squad cover for Rose. I don't feel that Vertonghen should be shifted there as his position is at centre half.

Our striker situation seems to be rectified with Soldado and hopefully Adebayor and Defoe are adequate cover. Wouldn't want to depend on them as being the main man but as back up they could do a useful job. I do feel that if the Plan A isn't working Plan B of Soldado and Adebayor up top could yield some goals. When Adebayor was combined with VDV during his loan season worked excellently together, I think that loss of a foil was a major downfall to the way that he played. The emphasis on Bale to go for the spectacular stifled the way Adebayor played as it pretty much rendered him without a partner.

Either way it's good to see we now have competition for places and are not reliant on the likes of Gallas, Hudd, Livermore and Parker (second season version) to come and do a job when we are struggling.

The future is bright, the future is Spurs!

We will likely concede less goals this season whilst having more possession and if Lamela and Eriksen can provide the assists we should start scoring more as well.

First part: Definitely. We've seen the signs of this already. Still a few slips when it comes to possession/mispasses from the CM players, and usually one of the back four ruins the high line (only Lloris the beast have saved us from conceding more goals in these matches).

Final part: BIG if. We really do rely on those two players now. Townsend too, maybe. I guess it's better than relying on only one, but all two/three are new additions to the squad (and even league). "It takes time to adapt", yes, but we don't really got much time to try and fail if we wanna battle in the top four. So huge pressure on Eriksen and Lamela, in my eyes.

First part: Definitely. We've seen the signs of this already. Still a few slips when it comes to possession/mispasses from the CM players, and usually one of the back four ruins the high line (only Lloris the beast have saved us from conceding more goals in these matches).

Final part: BIG if. We really do rely on those two players now. Townsend too, maybe. I guess it's better than relying on only one, but all two/three are new additions to the squad (and even league). "It takes time to adapt", yes, but we don't really got much time to try and fail if we wanna battle in the top four. So huge pressure on Eriksen and Lamela, in my eyes.

Massive pressure of them, but I fancy them to shine. I think with the number 10 player on the field we will be so much more balanced and hopefully Soldado will have something to work with. He will score if he gets the service.

Lamela and Eriksen will be our new golden boys. I just really hope they adapt to the league and bond with the team quickly. Did not like seeing Walker overlooking Lamela during the 15min he did play. Also Paulinho! hes going to be special for us I think.

There is only one player who we didn't sign, who it seems was very possible and that is Benteke. I do think he is going to be an incredible player but you can't look at the players brought in and not be impressed (although the jury is out on Chadli - haven't seen anything yet to make me think he would be a starter when Eriksson and Lennon are available).

There is only one player who we didn't sign, who it seems was very possible and that is Benteke.
I'm still to be convinced there was any real interest from us beyond shit-stirring agents looking to land him a new contract and triple their commission.

Not a single quote anywhere, mate

Lamela and Eriksen will be our new golden boys. I just really hope they adapt to the league and bond with the team quickly. Did not like seeing Walker overlooking Lamela during the 15min he did play. Also Paulinho! hes going to be special for us I think.

I think (HOPE) this is being blown up out of all proportion...
I think (hope) that the reasons for Walker seemingly 'ignoring' Lamela were more down to desperation at wanting to get the ball into the middle as quickly as possible (bearing in mind the score, and the time left)
Maybe (HOPEFULLY) once Walker sees what Lamela can do in training, and builds up an understanding with him, then all this speculation will be redundant...

It'll be redundant anyway, seeing as I imagine Lamela will eventually settle on the left/in the centre, and Walker gets his little mate Lennon back on the right!
... now it's Chadli just we've got to worry about!

I think (hope) that the reasons for Walker seemingly 'ignoring' Lamela were more down to desperation at wanting to get the ball into the middle as quickly as possible (bearing in mind the score, and the time left)
Maybe (HOPEFULLY) once Walker sees what Lamela can do in training, and builds up an understanding with him, then all this speculation will be redundant...

It'll be redundant anyway, seeing as I imagine Lamela will eventually settle on the left/in the centre, and Walker gets his little mate Lennon back on the right!
... now it's Chadli just we've got to worry about!

Yeah what you said does make sense, just a little worrying seeing Lamela ready to receive the ball but being ignored by Walker. As for Chadli, out of all our quality signings he is the one I am most skeptical about... It was like he was not on the pitch during the second half, I really do hope he comes good though!

Lamela on the LW? Naughton over Fryers at LB? Thor over Holtby at CAM? Obika over Kane? WTF, man?

I expect all 3 players to switch during the game, Lennon was deemed first choice by a number of voters in May, this may now have changed and he gets dropped for Lamela with Chadli on the left. Worth a new poll perhaps!

Fryers wasn't included in the voting, he was after all an u-21 player at the time.

60% of voters preferred Holtby in a withdrawn position.

Obika needs a squad number whereas Kane doesn't, plus I ran out of space and arguing who our 4th choice is seems irrelevant in any case...

Last edited:
Don't mean to be pessimistic, but i expect Lamela to have a tough time integrating into the team... He needs to learn english fast. And i mean FAST.

Back
Top Bottom