What we need is stability.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stability is the biggest thing our club needs. The longest standing manager since 1990 is ol harry with 4 years. Strange how that also coincided with our best football, then when things went sour we fired him just like every other manger that had a wobble. By contrast the scum and manure have stuck to there guns with their managers. Ferguson had a terrible first few years managing manure, but the board stuck with him because they believed what they saw behind the scenes even though major spend on players resulted in massive drop in league standing. When the fans were baying for his blood the board simply ignored the fans and allowed him to build his great legacy because they weren't interested in the knee jerk reactions of the fans. A similar situation with wenger and the scum. How many times have the fans being baying for wengers blood? Did the board fire him because the fickle fans demanded it. Clearly not. Has it helped the club in the long run? Of course it has. There has been no major squad upheaval with regards to the change in manager or a horde of new players being brought in.
Once the teams got to know each other they played decently and in many cases like champions. I would dare say at some points along the way you could have had those teams winning games weekend in and weekend out without the need of their manger purely because they had the stability of having played together for so long. Chelsea, although somewhat of an exception to the rule, proved this when they fired avb and miraculously the team came to life and won the champions league in possibly their worst season in years. Was it because of di matteo. Not a fucking chance in hell. The team had just been together for so long they went back to how they were used to playing together. Currently we have a new manager in AVB and a very new, very young, team. Why on earth would we be so stupid to fire him without giving him at least a few seasons to create something, most important of which being stability. You don't have to like him or agree with his plans but at the very least give him some time. I hate the way he is doing some things currently, but I still feel he needs time at the helm even if it means missing champions league this year and next year. We spent the money from Bale wisely in my opinion. Very young talented players were brought in. Did they click? Clearly not, and probably through no fault of their own. AVB and his constant tinkering being the cause in my opinion. Has it helped? In many ways yes and in many ways no. But you can't write off the team based on some dodgy results and even more dodgy chopping and changing. We will come right eventually.
Our team against city last weekend on paper was a team I was excited to watch. It was possibly the most attacking team AVB had assembled all season. Boy did that turn out badly. So what, we got a thumping, it was our turn anyway. Last year was the scums turn when they got destroyed 8-2 by the same opponents. 2009 was Wigans turn when we thumped them 9-1. Why all the hate for Lamela? Just because he didn't have a "and its danny rose on his premier league debut" match people are hating him. The poor kid (because thats what he is) can't even speak fucking english, give him a break. If by the end of next season he is still shit (which he most definately wont be) chalk it up to a "bentlyesque" bad buy. so what. What is important now is that the team gets some stability over the next few years in the form of minimal new players and belief and trust in the manager and the plan.
No team are champions over night because of a big spend on supposedly great players. Took City 4 years to win the league after they won the "Shaikh lotto". As the old cliche goes...
Rome wasn't built in a day...

Last edited:
While I agree stability is essential for success, particularly for a club of our stature, it has to be with the right manager. Else stability will get you nowhere.

Is AVB the right manager? I always hoped he was, now is his time to prove it.

You will never know unless you stick it out. Ferguson took man u from 2nd in the league one year to 11th the following year after a substantial investment in supposed top players. At Spurs that's a guaranteed firing. Which is a sad problem.

You will never know unless you stick it out. Ferguson took man u from 2nd in the league one year to 11th the following year after a substantial investment in supposed top players. At Spurs that's a guaranteed firing. Which is a sad problem.

It is a sad problem, I agree. Is it "at Spurs" though, or "In modern football"?

I think we have a fabulous set of players, too good NOT to do well and play some fine stuff. I still believe it is an integration issue above all else, but there is no denying the pressure is on AVB and he HAS to improve performances to give the signal he can turn things.

Of course it will take time to really know either way, but there has to be signs to warrant a prolonged period of "faith".

Utd will be very telling. He has the press on his back (and is antagonising them), the fans divided and the players (based on City) not really "with" him. A bad result then and questions will really be asked. A good result, and more importantly performance, and they will be quietened

The game has changed quite a bit in the last 25 years.

More teams have won things with short term managers in that time than teams with long term managers.

The game has changed quite a bit in the last 25 years.

More teams have won things with short term managers in that time than teams with long term managers.

That's because football has become short sighted and based on short term success ( kinda like most other things in the world these days)
Even still fergie, wenger and moyes have been the most successful (given funding etc) of any other managers in the PL era...it's not that it doesn't work it's simply that football in the modern era doesn't let it...moyes getting a 7 yr contract at Man U, is a glimmer of hope though

Good summary - agree by and large

Sadly this is merely and extension of everyday society - one of 0 patience and demanding of instant gratification - NOW, NOW, NOW

Doubt much would change sooner

180fc15e1db233b5b200666c95e6a9f32d89bc2f0ce9f809032212ab762871cf.jpg

Chelsea, although somewhat of an exception to the rule, proved this when they fired avb and miraculously the team came to life and won the champions league in possibly their worst season in years. Was it because of di matteo. Not a fucking chance in hell. The team had just been together for so long they went back to how they were used to playing together.

Cant see how you can use that to back your point to be honest...it reads to me as AVB went there, changed the style of play to a way which didnt suit the players he had, then he was sacked, and the players went back to what they knew, and won the CL.

It was clear he lost the dressing room there, and while I agree with stability, that stability doesnt have to be in terms of time.

Stability can be in having a happy set of players, and to be honest, Im worried we dont right now.

God knows what went on with Caulker, VDV also made noises after he left about being unhappy, BAE outted, Ade humiliated against his old club by being brought on at 3/4 down, and not even making the bench once before that, Jan has said twice now he doesnt like LB, Naughton dropped after about two games when given the number 2 LB spot, JD not happy, and players like Dembele look a shadow of themselves.

Whatever you think of any of those players, I have serious doubts about AVBs man management skills.

The players dont look happy anymore, and that is not stable.

*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*dislike*

Back
Top Bottom