What is our First Team midfield Trio?!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Get the hounds on em Sunday. Don't let them have any time on the ball. Sandro-Capoue-Paulinho
EST-Tanks-FT-17-3.jpg

I doubt any of the new 3 will feature from the start against the scum, so that basis Sandro, Paulinho, Holtby. I thought Holtby did enough against Dynamo to be considered a starter.

Get the hounds on em Sunday. Don't let them have any time on the ball. Sandro-Capoue-Paulinho
EST-Tanks-FT-17-3.jpg
Strange how nobody has mentioned our best mid fielder at present, Townsend. I think we will play a 4-2-3-1 as usual, albeit a formation I hate. I have little doubt that this won't be the first choice going forward, but I can't see AVB risking any of the new three in Derby

Walker- Dawson- Vertongan - Rose

Capue - Dembele

Townsend - Paliniho - Siggy - Chadli

Soldado

Strange how nobody has mentioned our best mid fielder at present, Townsend. I think we will play a 4-2-3-1 as usual, albeit a formation I hate. I have little doubt that this won't be the first choice going forward, but I can't see AVB risking any of the new three in Derby

Capue - Dembele

Soldado
12players?

Capue - Dembele

Soldado
Come on, this is lazy trolling even by your standards

I agree that it entirely depends on fitness and opposition. Rather than select hypothetical trios I'd put it in a list, going from most attacking to most defensive:

Eriksen
Holtby
Dembele
Paulinho
Sandro
Capoue

Depending on how much attacking or defending we are going to do you'd pick from that list.

(This is actually a secret 'How I play Football Manager' post. I have a notebook with pages of these lists and diagrams by my computer. I am lonely.)

@ MJHall
I would change that list a little bit considering the effect each player has on a match both attacking and defensivley.
Eriksen/Holtby
Holtby/Eriksen
Paulinho
Capoue
Dembele
Sandro

and the bottom two could easily be changed around as Sandro always tries to set a player on his way when he wins it.

Everyone is free to have their own opinions on it, it is entirely subjective after all.

I think Eriksen will find it difficult to get the aggression of the game down early on so Holtby's willingness to get stuck in when necessary puts him a rung down.

Dembele generally prefers to operate closer to the front than Paulinho (unless Dembele is selected as the deeper player of course). Paulinho likes to get deeper out of possession.

It's difficult with Capoue and Sandro, since Sandro has been out so long. What I've seen of Capoue suggests his first thought it to secure the back before joining the attack. He seems to look at the back line before he decides to go forward. Sandro always took a chance to go forward when it presented itself, although that may be different under AVB this season.

Whichever way round you put them I'd pick one from the top, one from the bottom, and one in the middle for most mid-table Premier League matches. Three from the bottom for away matches against the teams around us/later European away games, and three from the top against weaker sides in the cups.

@ MJHall my list is not based on where they operate though, but what they bring to the attack as a whole. For me Capoue is above Dembele as an attacking threat because he starts them early with good passes from deep to set us on our way asap.

My problem with Dembele is that he's not really attacking nor defensive, and he's not really box to box either. If he were to start to release the ball earlier (not take two-three players on before he plays a pass he could've played the moment he recieved the ball) he would become a much greater offensive threat and option.

I can't disagree with any of that. I will say about Dembele, his ability to beat a man and take the ball forward can be very important in opening up space for other players. When the opposition are retreating to their defensive shape his ball carrying can keep opposition players from dropping too deep too quickly because of the threat he poses running at the back line. This can open up channels for Soldado and the wide players to run into.

Capue - Dembele

Soldado
:avbcringe:

And you hate the 4-2-3-1? How?

Old school 4-4-2 purist, no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom