What is going wrong??

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We need to be patient until we see our team looking similar to-

Lloris/ New GK
New RB
New CB
Sanchez
Sessegnon
New DM
Ndombele
New AM
Lo Celso
Son
Kane

Backup/ rotation:

Gazzaniga
Foyth
Davies
Dier
Winks
Skipp
Sissoko
Dele
Lucas
Lamela
Parrott (if he comes good)

We have a squad that's pretty strong, the only issue is a lot of the, are only strong as backup/ rotation options. We used to have a shit hot starting XI and no depth, now we have depth but no starting XI that looks strong.

4/5 signings required really isn't that bad, the issue with it is our inability to find someone under £20m who can genuinely break into that starting XI as we seek obsessed with players £40m-£50m+. Can we really expect £200m-£250m spent on the quality Poch seems to fall for? It's unrealistic to expect it and Poch needs to get with the program or it'll be curtains.

Last edited:
Mate, come on. He’s been fantastic but he’s being shown up now. One-dimensional and tactically naive, and the players aren’t trying. Collectively.

So easy to concentrate on the form of the players but if you took a step back, can anyone honestly Poch has grown as a manager?

Southampton fans would say his biggest flaw was that he had no plan B. I don't really think that's changed since he came here.

His in-game management is awful. He waits too long to make subs and when he does, those subs are usually head-scratcher

if we're going to progress as a club, don't we want a manager who is more tactically advanced instead of just relying on having players run a lot?

So easy to concentrate on the form of the players but if you took a step back, can anyone honestly Poch has grown as a manager?

Southampton fans would say his biggest flaw was that he had no plan B. I don't really think that's changed since he came here.

At our peak under Poch, we were flexible in terms of formation; switching it up in-game and when deployed as such also had a wicked counter-attacking string to our bow.

His in-game management is awful. He waits too long to make subs and when he does, those subs are usually head-scratcher.

if we're going to progress as a club, don't we want a manager who is more tactically advanced instead of just relying on having players run a lot?

Rather than not improving since he's been here; it feels more like he's regressing...

He'd made us greater than the sum of our parts; punching above our weight etc..... Now this is no longer the case... We're less that the sum of our parts.

Question remains; if we'd managed a full clear out this summer, would we even be having such conversations about Poch? ...Would it have been enough to re-invigorate him and our fortunes?

4/5 signings required really isn't no that bad, the issue with it is our inability to find someone under £20m who can genuinely break into that starting XI as we seek obsessed with players £40m-£50m+. Can we really expect £200m-£250m spent on the quality Poch seems to fall for? It's unrealistic to expect it an drew Poch needs to get with the program or it'll be curtains.

At this point I don't think it matters how many players we buy and for which price. He still won't play them over his favourites. Some of which don't even want to be here.

At this point I don't think it matters how many players we buy and for which price. He still won't play them over his favourites. Some of which don't even want to be here.

It's a tough one but the sooner we see Foyth, Sanchez, Sessegnon and Lo Celso starting games, the better. If they genuinely have a future at Spurs Pochettino needs to give the two CBs minutes. If that doesn't happen this season it never will so why hang about? If he waits until next season and we end up buying new CBs their time is as good as up as neither will settle for backup so let's get them blooded now and know that we at least gave them a genuine crack at taking their game on another level with us.

We may lose points or places in the table but there has literally been no better time since Foyth and Sanchez signed for us to get a crack at it with so many out of form and whilst I am absolutely certain Lo Celso will get game time now he's back, the same needs to apply to Sessegnon as well with the left back spot having its issues also. If it's a transition season as Poch says then use it to genuinely give a chance to those who will potentially play a long term part in the transition.

Too many people settle for 3rd rate as being enough instead of demanding more, thats our whole problem as a club imo...

Rightly or wrongly, what Bayern did this week shows the difference in ambitions between the clubs. I always think of the big Europe clubs as out of our league but it simply isn't true. Even though Bayern is well above us, we are ranked 9th behind Liverpool and in front of Juve and PSG for most valuable clubs.

It's a tough one but the sooner we see Foyth, Sanchez, Sessegnon and Lo Celso starting games, the better. If they genuinely have a future at Spurs Pochettino needs to give the two CBs minutes. If that doesn't happen this season it never will so why hang about? If he waits until next season and we end up buying new CBs their time is as good as up as neither will settle for backup so let's get them blooded now and know that we at least gave them a genuine crack at taking their game on another level with us.

We may lose points or places in the table but there has literally been no better time since Foyth and Sanchez signed for us to get a crack at it with so many out of form and whilst I am absolutely certain Lo Celso will get game time now he's back, the same needs to apply to Sessegnon as well with the left back spot having its issues also. If it's a transition season as Poch says then use it to genuinely give a chance to those who will potentially play a long term part in the transition.

Add Skipp to that list for me personally. Otherwise I couldn't agree more.

AVB had BALE to get him out of jail.

POCH had DEMBELE and an in form KANE to get him out of jail.

Sissoko is no Dembele replacement and defenders have worked out how to keep Kane quiet in games.

Bringing in new players is important to keep your opponents guessing. Out starting 11 and our tactics have largely been the same for 4 years.

New players have come in, but Poch has failed to integrate them into the squad.

Add Skipp to that list for me personally. Otherwise I couldn't agree more.

Skipp for me the jury is still out on. I really like him but as he hasn't been signed for big money like the others (Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Foyth and Sanchez could cost us a combined £135m), I'd like to see Skipp go out on loan so he can get a sound grounding before we commit him to top level minutes.

I really like him but with Dier, Winks, Sissoko and Ndombele I don't think our long term need for a Skipp integration is as vital as those who will be coming in for Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose and Eriksen.

This pandering to a particular group of players regarding selection will ultimately be Poch's downfall. Unless he is stopped then it may also be what takes us down to the lower depths of the league.
We have young and eager talent available who will still be with us next season. Use them now, baptism of fire maybe...but they can't do much worse than what's happening at the moment.

Last edited:
This pandering to a select group of players regarding selection will ultimately be Poch's downfall. Unless he is stopped then it may also be what takes us down to the lower depths of the league.
We have young and eager talent available who will still be with us next season. Use them now, baptism of fire maybe...but they can't do much worse than what's happening at the moment.

When fully fit, we should probably go with:

Lloris, Foyth, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Sessegnon, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Son, Kane.

Have a bench that looks like:

Gazzaniga, Aurier, Vertonghen, Davies, Winks or Dier, Lucas & Lamela.

Walker-Peters, Skipp, Wanyama, Eriksen & Parrott stepping up onto the bench as and when required & get Clarke back in January and get him integrated as well. No harm in it really. If possible move Wanyama and Eriksen on in January & if possible do a swap deal for Walker-Peters + ££ for Aarons in January if Norwich play ball. They'll lose the kid in the summer anyway so a ready made KWP replacement for selling slightly earlier than they would wish would tempt them greately. Foyth gets game time to either prove himself as a RB or get stronger for a long term CB role and we blood a new era whilst drastically bringing the average starting XI age down.

We can afford one languid season which seems to be the case now but to not use this season to readjust to life without Eriksen and the CB pairing we've relied on for so long would be a farce. It may be a bit of a loser mentality but if we aren't going to get top 4 this season, why not use the campaign to fast track the bedding in period for many?

Last edited:
When fully fit, we should probably go with:

Lloris, Foyth, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Sessegnon, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Son, Kane.

Have a bench that looks like:

Gazzaniga, Aurier, Vertonghen, Davies, Winks or Dier, Lucas & Lamela.

Walker-Peters, Skipp, Wanyama, Eriksen & Parrott stepping up onto the bench as and when required & get Clarke back in January and get him integrated as well. No harm in it really. If possible move Wanyama and Eriksen on in January & if possible do a swap deal for Walker-Peters + ££ for Aarons in January if Norwich play ball. They'll lose the kid in the summer anyway so many a ready made KWP replacement for selling slightly earlier than they would wish would tempt them greately. Foyth gets game time to either prove himself as a RB or get stronger for a long term CB role and we blood a new era whilst drastically bringing the average starting XI age down.

We can afford one languid season which seems to be the case now but to not use this season to readjust to life without Eriksen and the CB pairing we've relied on for so long would be a farce. It may be a bit of a loser mentality but if we aren't going to get top 4 this season, why not use the campaign to fast track the bedding in period for many?
It’s far from a loser mentality sir, playing the same old fading fast half interested players is a loser mentality to be honest...
Plus all this crap talked about hanging tight until January and then we can rebuild come the window is just about the biggest pile of shite Poch has spouted to date, I mean what kind of message does that send?
It says the current players are shit and I will buy new ones, and you know all this youth at our disposal, well they are shit too, so in the mean time I’m going to stick with the troublesome out of form players over giving youth a chance....

I said it over a month ago that Poch has lost the dressing room, none of his actions since has changed my mind, people need to face facts that Poch and Tottenham are over and we need to stop hanging on to some kind of fantasy that it will all be unicorns and rainbows again....The team needs revamped and a new manager is required to do that.

Under Levy the 5 years cycle happens, it always has, and this one is now over.

Moving on, the infrastructure is now in place to support a winning manager, a proven guy who can take what quality we have within the squad and add his own pieces to go on and win a fucking league title.....let the new 5 year cycle begin!!

His in-game management is awful. He waits too long to make subs and when he does, those subs are usually head-scratcher

Yes.

However it's also about having a philosophy that the players buy into and execute consistently to a high level.

You need to have a plan B but that's actually just about moving a player here or there and then subs in a timely fashion.

The key to it is always the maintenance of the quality of performance.

The mistakes are constant, we are not clinical and we never dominate. That's not about tactics. It's about a manager who has lost the art of inspiring, with too many players hearing but no longer listening.

Yes.

However it's also about having a philosophy that the players buy into and execute consistently to a high level.

You need to have a plan B but that's actually just about moving a player here or there and then subs in a timely fashion.

The key to it is always the maintenance of the quality of performance.

The mistakes are constant, we are not clinical and we never dominate. That's not about tactics. It's about a manager who has lost the art of inspiring, with too many players hearing but no longer listening.

Exactly. They don’t buy it nor do they want to. Which is why he needs to go.

Eriksen had a 50/50 in the second half that looked more in his favour, running towards the Everton player his noticeably stopped about half a metre in front. That cunt played for over 100 minutes. That’s on the manager, sorry.

Like bringing on Wanyama for Sissoko earlier in the season who immediately got a stupid yellow and then cost us a goal. He had other options yet chose the has been they couldn't sell.

Back
Top Bottom