West Ham (a) 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Trippier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sanchez

• TA

• Davies

• Dier

• Kane

• Moura

• Total voters
GroundPoch Day

Quite similar shit, different day.

I like that Poch actually went 433. I think that front three is pretty much our best front three right now. But it's a shame he couldn't put a couple of footballers in the midfield three with Winks. Watching Dier and Sissoko clunk their way round our midfield is like having your soul removed, taken out back, given a kick in, then being urinated upon. Please god, grow some fucking bollocks Poch and give us a midfield back soon.

By his own, very turgid standards, Sissoko was decent enough first half and did exceedingly well when setting up Lamela for the goal, but lets not fucking kid ourselves, his technique is atrocious, his passing is clunky, a ball rarely glides to its recipient's stride does it, it bobbles, invariably behind the stride, or at best is very deliberately whacked at said recipient. His movement off the ball lacks wit, and any press is met with abject panic.

Dier isn't much better. It's like watching Frankenstein on a sherbet enema. One day the wind will fucking change and he'll be stuck in that point position, like a model in my mum's old Gratton Catalogue. So many times people were looking for out ball, and instead of fucking moving to offer them one, he just pointed. When he did get on the ball it's like football by numbers. A to B. Several times he has yards of space in front of him and instead of stepping into it and maybe surveying the situation, trying to inject something of value into the game, he panicked and tapped it backwards three yards instead.

We started OK, then seemed to lose out way, WH started to get some momentum going, but just as they were, they first lost Zabaletta for a bit and went down to ten men, then lost Yarmalenko, and seemed to lose whatever momentum they had, and the last 20 minutes of the first half we gained some kind of control, and during this spell scored one and possibly could have had another.

The second half was up there with some of the worst football we've played under Poch. We basically shelled a whole half, and that would have been more bearable if on the odd occasion we did counter, we broke the chaotic incoherent monotony of it by not continually just running the ball straight into their defenders. Several great counters were ruined by stupid fuckery where players just had to pass it and we'd have been baring in on goal with overloads.

Don't get me started on the subs.

Still, 433....there is some hope.

Individual

Lloris - Decent game, couple of nice saves, no howling gashes.

Trippier - Not one of his better games. Didn't contribute much going forward and was poor defensively on two or three occasions second half.

Sanchez - Bit like Bambi on ice first half but, ironically, as we got shitter, and came under more pressure, he got better. That fabulous save everyone was raving about late on, I'm pretty sure was actually proceeded by a great last ditch tackle by Sanchez.

Alderweireld - Solid enough.

Davies - Really fucking meh. Left back has got to be second priority after midfield in terms of improvement of personnel.

Sissoko - By his standards he was decent enough first half. His decent is well below what a club of our level needs though. Credit where it's due, he did really well for the assist.

Pointer - Dire.

Winks - In the slim pickings of positives from today, second behind actually beating the wankers I fucking hate most, is probably Winks' performance. I'm not kidding myself it was orgasmic or anything, and I'd have liked him to be a little more creative in forward areas still, he was easily the best midfielder on that pitch today. 63/70 90% pass rate. The only midfielder who continually looked to get on the ball (only Trippier saw more touches than him), took the ball and dropped a shoulder a few times, beating lines and getting us moving. Playing in this 433/CM3 system suits him best, be nice to see him with a couple of better CM's in there too.

Moura - Quick zippy legs, brain can't up.

Lamela - Seems a bit more purposeful this season, if we can keep him fit he's like the proverbial "new signing" who isn't a new signing.

Kane - Touched the ball 22 times, completed 8 passes of 10. Not great, but to fair to him, this was more about what was happening behind him, which gave him fuck all to work with. He worked hard without the ball and was always showing for it. I think he's looking more like proper Kane lately.

Your posts earlier today demonstrated your complete lack of football knowledge - and what’s worse, your agenda against some of our players is embarrassing. This kind of cool headed after match analysis would be more welcome if it wasn’t written by a fucking troll. You said “that was wank”. If you’d played the game to any reasonable standard, you’d realise it wasn’t. I know you’re a SC reject, but you’ve already outlived your time on here. You lose sight of the objective - every time, and your childish refusal to acknowledge Sissoko’s match winning contribution was telling.

I think some of these mitigating issues are completely valid. But not all. It doesn't matter where you play ultimately, you still want to see a decent coached ethos. And I don't mean or expect us to play like Guardiola's Barca circa 2012, I just mean some cohesion to what we are doing with and especially without the ball. We've gone from being a very proactive type of team to one that spends big chunks of the game being reactive. And I'm not just talking about the games against teams like Liverpool or ManC.

Some injuries to key players is definitely a factor, and the WC and pre-season, but even before we lost players like JV, Alli and Eriksen, Poch was making some odd selections, constantly switching between formats, against Cardiff he selects Son, who's done a season, a WC, an asian games then straight into a season over Lamela who's fresh as a daisy and bang in form. Continually playing Moura as a CF, Kane as a kind of 10. There's three kids who all equipped themselves really well in pre-season against decent opposition, they are dynamic, industrious, tenacious, technically good and metronomic. Not one of them gets a look in, and we watch Dier trundle through game after game, Sissoko...

All of the things you mention are a factor, but some (not all) of this goes back further, to last season and a little beyond.

We've gradually changed from being a really intense, pro-active, about the collective, to being a more risk averse, slightly reactive (at times), individually reliant team. But it's not like we are Conte's Chelsea, or Simeoni's Atletico, suffocating the opposition and countering with a bit of elan, we are just a bit of an incoherent and at times incompatible mish mash of tactics, formats and personnel right now it seems to me.

I think we’re desperately missing Eriksen and Dele. They’re our most unpredictable players.

Hats off to Pochettino and the team for still churning out good results though. It’s not always been pretty, but we’re putting points on the board.

New on these boards but the idea of someone offering up their review and then shitting on all over them, and extending that argument for 4 pages shows just as much negativity as the OP.

I for one enjoy bus-conductor bus-conductor and his analysis. I might not agree with it, but hey, he says what he thinks. What proceeds is then 4-6 pages of “fuck off you turgid, spurs hating cock”

I think we all need to check ourselves and realize we are all here for the same reason. Some might not have the rose colored glasses some sport and some might not have the undying positivity, but so what? Push the disagree button and offer up a counter argument versus “get the fuck off my boards”

Last edited:
GroundPoch Day

I like that Poch actually went 433. I think that front three is pretty much our best front three right now. But it's a shame he couldn't put a couple of footballers in the midfield three with Winks. Watching Dier and Sissoko clunk their way round our midfield is like having your soul removed, taken out back, given a kick in, then being urinated upon. Please god, grow some fucking bollocks Poch and give us a midfield back soon.

By his own, very turgid standards, Sissoko was decent enough first half and did exceedingly well when setting up Lamela for the goal, but lets not fucking kid ourselves, his technique is atrocious, his passing is clunky, a ball rarely glides to its recipient's stride does it, it bobbles, invariably behind the stride, or at best is very deliberately whacked at said recipient. His movement off the ball lacks wit, and any press is met with abject panic.

Dier isn't much better. It's like watching Frankenstein on a sherbet enema. One day the wind will fucking change and he'll be stuck in that point position, like a model in my mum's old Gratton Catalogues. So many times people were looking for an out ball, and instead of fucking moving to offer them one, he just pointed. When he did get on the ball it's like football by numbers. A to B to A to B. Several times he has yards of space in front of him and instead of stepping into it and maybe surveying the situation, trying to inject something of value into the game, he panicked and tapped it backwards three yards instead.

We started OK, then seemed to lose our way, WH started to get some momentum going, but just as they were, they first lost Zabaletta for a bit and went down to ten men, then lost Yarmalenko, and seemed to lose whatever momentum they had, and the last 20 minutes of the first half we gained some kind of control back, and during this spell scored one and possibly could have had another.

The second half was up there with some of the worst football we've played under Poch. We basically shelled a whole half, and that would have been more bearable if on the odd occasion we did counter, we broke the chaotic incoherent monotony of it by not continually just running the ball straight into their defenders. Several great counters were ruined by stupid fuckery where players just had to pass it and we'd have been bearing in on goal with overloads.

Don't get me started on the subs. Fucking abstract.

Individual

Trippier - Not one of his better games. Didn't contribute much going forward and was poor defensively on two or three occasions second half.

Sanchez - Bit like Bambi on ice first half but, ironically, as we got shitter, and came under more pressure, he got better. That fabulous save everyone was raving about late on, I'm pretty sure was actually proceeded by a great last ditch tackle by Sanchez.

Davies - Really fucking meh. Left back has got to be second priority after midfield in terms of improvement of personnel.

Sissoko - By his standards he was decent enough first half. His decent is well below what a club of our level needs though. Credit where it's due, he did really well for the assist. Second half was pretty rank though.

Pointer - Dire.

Winks - In the slim pickings of positives from today, second behind actually beating the wankers I fucking hate most, is probably Winks' performance. I'm not kidding myself it was orgasmic or anything, and I'd have liked him to be a little more creative in forward areas, but he was easily the best midfielder on that pitch today. 63/70 90% pass rate. The only midfielder who continually looked to get on the ball (only Trippier saw more touches than him), took the ball and dropped a shoulder a few times, beating lines and getting us moving. Playing in this 433/CM3 system suits him best, be nice to see him with a couple of better CM's in there too.

Moura - Quick zippy legs, brain struggles to keep up.

Lamela - Seems a bit more purposeful this season, if we can keep him fit he's like the proverbial "new signing" who isn't a new signing.

Kane - Touched the ball 22 times, completed 8 passes of 10. Not great, but to fair to him, this was more about what was happening behind him, which gave him fuck all to work with. He worked hard without the ball and was always showing for it. I think he's looking more like proper Kane lately.

Really dont get your comment... ‘grow some fucking bollocks Poch and give us a midfield back soon.’ Used to reading deluded posters who think they know better than a top quality manager but to imply his selections are wrong due to lacking bravery is a new one.

GroundPoch Day

Dier isn't much better. It's like watching Frankenstein on a sherbet enema. One day the wind will fucking change and he'll be stuck in that point position, like a model in my mum's old Gratton Catalogues. So many times people were looking for an out ball, and instead of fucking moving to offer them one, he just pointed. When he did get on the ball it's like football by numbers. A to B to A to B. Several times he has yards of space in front of him and instead of stepping into it and maybe surveying the situation, trying to inject something of value into the game, he panicked and tapped it backwards three yards instead.

We started OK, then seemed to lose our way, WH started to get some momentum going, but just as they were, they first lost Zabaletta for a bit and went down to ten men, then lost Yarmalenko, and seemed to lose whatever momentum they had, and the last 20 minutes of the first half we gained some kind of control back, and during this spell scored one and possibly could have had another.

The second half was up there with some of the worst football we've played under Poch. We basically shelled a whole half, and that would have been more bearable if on the odd occasion we did counter, we broke the chaotic incoherent monotony of it by not continually just running the ball straight into their defenders. Several great counters were ruined by stupid fuckery where players just had to pass it and we'd have been bearing in on goal with overloads.

Individual

Sissoko - By his standards he was decent enough first half. His decent is well below what a club of our level needs though. Credit where it's due, he did really well for the assist. Second half was pretty rank though.

Pointer - Dire.

Winks - In the slim pickings of positives from today, second behind actually beating the wankers I fucking hate most, is probably Winks' performance. I'm not kidding myself it was orgasmic or anything, and I'd have liked him to be a little more creative in forward areas, but he was easily the best midfielder on that pitch today. 63/70 90% pass rate. The only midfielder who continually looked to get on the ball (only Trippier saw more touches than him), took the ball and dropped a shoulder a few times, beating lines and getting us moving. Playing in this 433/CM3 system suits him best, be nice to see him with a couple of better CM's in there too.

Value your thoroughness but you really undermine the issues our club have faced in a time where we have to really grind it out for the greater good.

No home advantage

No pre-season for the majority of our first XI

Ten important players missing at key moments so early in the season already - Lloris and Vorm - at the same time it needs to be said, Aurier, Rose, Vertonghen, Wanyama, Dembele, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela has missed a couple and is in form & Son, let alone the lack of form from key players when they have been fit and available.

No transfers during the summer

And did I mention we still have no home advantage and experienced a very deflating moment when we were told our return home was further delayed?

We cannot judge until we are back at Spurs, back in the rhythm, back to feeling like we have a place to generate such a swagger and with the lack of ins & outs, stadium disillusion, tweaks and knocks and nowhere to stamp your home turf mark it really has been a boost in the arm and all the fans should see it like that, even if we know the football hasn't been champagne football like we experience 12-24 months ago.

With all of these things well and truly in play for us recently results have been the only thing that has mattered and that's what we have mustered.

We all love Spurs, we want to see them do well and do it in style but at the moment it's purely about keeping with the pack, pure grit and grinding is all that's required until we get all things settled and smoothly moving along, possibly for another month or two in my opinion dude

IF you must write these ratings posts then at least wipe your eyes before you watch the game.

Sissoko was one of four possible MOTM players today in my opinion (I rate my opinion higher than yours BTW).

Hugo / Sissoko / Winks / Lamela - could all have cases made for them to be MOTM.

I think we’re desperately missing Eriksen and Dele. They’re our most unpredictable players.

You're just becoming an apologist for your fellow SC reject ... we've in the middle of our best EPL start ever, we've dropped just 6 points in 9 games ... we're not 'desperately missing' anyone, we're 'coping magnificently' despite having an injury ravaged squad ...

Was it some sort of pre-requisite on SC to always be glass-half-full or were you two just two of the most negative posters on there?

Personal agendas against Salah, Noble, Tery, Baton, Fellani, Costa any Woolwich player ... that's fair enough ...

But to continuously dig-up the players you claim to support? what the fuck is that all about?

This is Bus-Conducters latest verbal diarrhea:

"Sissoko, his technique is atrocious, his passing is clunky, a ball rarely glides to its recipient"

Yet the Evening Standard's professional football reviewer, who isn't even a Spurs fan, said:

In a sluggish first half, it was Sissoko who drove Spurs forward from midfield, starting and very nearly finishing the best move of the opening period when his first-time effort from Lucas Moura's pass was deflected over the bar. And then came his assist, a fine step inside a flat-footed Anderson onto his weaker left foot and a perfect cross for Lamela to nod home. Sissoko is unlikely to ever be anything more than a squad player for Spurs but this performance has come at a good time.

"Dier isn't much better. It's like watching Frankenstein on a sherbet enema"
no it's not, but it is like reading illiterate drivel from a twelve year old ....

I could go on but that would be giving you both to much attention ... attention which is so obviously what you both desperately seek ... no wonder SC gave you the boot ....

Maybe I'm doing you a disservice linking you with Bus-Conductor ... not sure

GroundPoch Day

Individual

Lloris - Very good game, couple of nice saves, no howling gashes.

Pointer - Dire.

Lamela - Seems a bit more purposeful this season, if we can keep him fit he's like the proverbial "new signing" who isn't a new signing. Very good first half. Like everyone, less effective second.

You really do take pretentiousness to a new level

You’re similar to Sammy

In the middle of the garbage you probably make some decent points but they’re lost as most people have given up trying to wade their way through it

Surprisingly to most I voted for Sissoko
A giant among pygmies!!

The crapping over Dier is IMO worth crapping over. We need to upgrade on him if we want to win the title.

The gap between the top 6 and the bottom is widening and our legitimacy comes down to our ability to beat the top 6. We need to upgrade all of midfield if we want to play attractive, goal scoring football.

Who are the players who could do a better job as CDM than Dier ... clearly no English players or he wouldn't start for England ... so just who?

Toni Kroos - but he's >100m and he's got a contract until 2022 at Real Madrid
Mousa Dembele - already plays for us
Ivan Rakitia - but he's >80m and he's got a contract until 2021 at Barca
Andre Zambo - just signed for Fulham
Lucas Biglia - he's got a contract until 2021 at AC Milan
Fernandinho - but he's got a contract until 2020 at Man City
Jorginho - just signed for Chelsea

So any of the more obvious so called 'upgrades' are not available unless we were to find 100m to spend ...

If you can find a player who's better, available, and not on the radar of every other top club ... please don't post it here but let the club know ... can't wait for them to announce him ... but for sure I won't be holding my breath

Dier is in the top ten of pretty much every list for CDM's - he's currently ranked 7 by www.sportskeeda.com ... if you're looking for upgrades then Dier is definitely not the place to start ....

I’m an SC reject too, Mr Clash.

Think of us as raggy dolls. We’re made imperfectly, but despite our maladies we can still offer something to society, and provide whimsical adventures along the way.

Except Ol’ Gibbsy. That SC reject is just a twat.

I agree that you are capable of whimsy, but some of the other newcomers are just arseholes. This place is worse since they joined. Lightweight Americans saying “oh I missed the game - I was out jogging. How did we play?” They’re more interested in talking about food.

Did anyone think Chelsea were ( or have been) bang on from yesterday?
What about Liverpool.
They had VVD missing for how long, and Mane and Keita.
Can you imgaine if they had the equivalent of our injury list and were missing major players innCL and PL?
As it is they are being lauded for grinding it out.
Whilst we are being slaughtered by everyone including our own.
No we are not playing well. Yet that’s what happens when you have no consistency in team selection hampered by injury.

Who’s done better considering.
Woolwich are even getting talked up no massive injury crisis there.

We will be back to full strength and, if logic prevails, when we do click and move up into third gear we therefore should be killing it.

We were due a time like this. These are the times when teams show their character and even if you say we have been lucky, then we have been as lucky as Woolwich and Chelsea’s Sarri ball and slighty less lucky than City and Liverpool.

Give them some credit.
I for one didn’t think we’d do this well considering and I’ve eaten my words

GroundPoch Day

Individual

Lloris - Very good game, couple of nice saves, no howling gashes.

Pointer - Dire.

Lamela - Seems a bit more purposeful this season, if we can keep him fit he's like the proverbial "new signing" who isn't a new signing. Very good first half. Like everyone, less effective second.

Last edited:
New on these boards but the idea of someone offering up their review and then shitting on all over them, and extending that argument for 4 pages shows just as much negativity as the OP.

I for one enjoy bus-conductor bus-conductor and his analysis. I might not agree with it, but hey, he says what he thinks. What proceeds is then 4-6 pages of “fuck off you turgid, spurs hating cock”

I think we all need to check ourselves and realize we are all here for the same reason. Some might not have the rose colored glasses some sport and some might not have the undying positivity, but so what? Push the disagree button and offer up a counter argument versus “get the fuck off my boards”

I enjoy the analysis and can appreciate differing opinions but I really can't stand the constant crapping over Dier in particular, (and Sissoko) from BC and a couple of other newcomers recently. It is constant and tedious, not unlike how it was against Lamela for a long while there. Like it or not, Dier plays a huge number of minutes for this Spurs team that is 2 points off the top playing sometimes ugly football, and he has been a constant in the team for some time. I don't think it is going to change and I personally think that he is one of the first names on the team sheet for Poch.

Yeah, I noticed that. You didn’t post though, so I assumed it was like buying an ISA, something that could be redeemed at a later date for much kudos.

I really liked the forum when it started up, and wrote one of the early articles. But at the time I was used to SC, and familiarity means a lot. I did venture back here quite a bit, but was always put off by the raging cunt-offs. I can’t remember their name, but there was one particularly nasty piece of work that made me give this place a miss for a long time due to their bullying and abuse. Mrs Perrysomething....?

Not for the first time, this review is ludicrously harsh after an away win without Eriksen or Alli.

The idea behind these threads is good, but it needs a healthy dose of realism. I think I read that you are older than I am, so like me you must have seen some fucking appalling Spurs performances and mangers in your time (Christian Gross, anyone?). So to who are you comparing this team when you deem our away victories, management and most players as "meh", "dire" and "turgid"? Barcelona in their pomp? 1970's Brazil?

Way, way over the top mate.

Gave it to Lloris just because of two great saves but could have given it to Sissoko for the brilliant set up and work rate or even Lamela or Winks for their general all round play.

bus-conductor bus-conductor I get out midfield ain’t sexy but we aren’t really in a position to be running the show like Man City given our actual resources, this is the best we can do and Poch is getting what he can out of them. You want more speak to Levy and get a big transfer budget.

Our performances bar United ain’t been great but results wise we are doing bloody good.

Back
Top Bottom