We need someone to pick the lock

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No one is forgetting Holtby. Once again, AVB recently and specifically stated he wants two quality players for every position. I know it's difficult to deal with the prospects of having a deep squad at Spurs. Some of you have probably erected some thick ass calluses where the hope centers of your brains used to be. But it's true fellas. You may be forced to deal with the prospect of not sighing upon seeing a substitute's number called for quite some time.

Being a bit of a sad act, I used to watch quite a bit of Argentinian football. I've a particular fondness for River Plate.

Lamela only played about a season and a half there, but he was most certainly a number 10. Maybe that's what we've bought him for?

Having a frontline with Eriksen, Lamela and one of Townsend or Chadli behind Soldado would be very fluid. The three AM players could pretty much switch with each other whenever dependent on what we need out of the game. There would be no lock that couldn't be picked with that lot.

With two of Dembele/Sandro/Capoue/Paulinho in behind, we're basically just building a wall on the halfway line.

Having a frontline with Eriksen, Lamela and one of Townsend or Chadli behind Soldado would be very fluid. The three AM players could pretty much switch with each other whenever dependent on what we need out of the game. There would be no lock that couldn't be picked with that lot.

With two of Dembele/Sandro/Capoue/Paulinho in behind, we're basically just building a wall on the halfway line.
If you want an interchangable 3 then Eriksen falls behind ex-winger Holtby instantly...

I see a lot of people are still forgetting we already own one of europes better "nr.10's" in Holtby...

I have no idea what you have been watching, really !!

Be honest with yourself, other than the odd cup game, do you really seeing him playing much this season. It looks very much like we are going to sign Lemala (if Chelsea don't come in for at the last moment), now if what I have heard is true, he is a proper lock picker.

If you want an interchangable 3 then Eriksen falls behind ex-winger Holtby instantly...

Good shout. I actually reckon both are quite similar in that they're equally good creating chances from out wide as they are in the centre, even if they go about it in different ways. However, from what I saw of both of them last season I think Eriksen is better suited to a wide role at this point in time. Holtby was a lot better for us last season in the middle where he could get on the ball a lot more. He went missing when played on the wings imo but as part of a narrow three it could work really well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind holtby, but I thought quite a few fans of dinamo + bits of pieces of ITK pointed towards him being more like a younger parker? rather than an out and out number 10.

Hence why I was always baffled that people were shooting down eriksen, as siggy looks far closer to being someone like vdv.

I get that he might not be too quick on the ball, like willian, but we don't need that in our team, just somone who can pick a pass.

8 million is hardly a gamble in footballing terms, worst case scenario, he's crap meaning we have to bring in the holtmeister. We're not going to lose anything by bringing him.

@ brick brick fans of what team?! dinamo who? He played for Schalke and was their undisputed nr 10 and layed on through ball after through ball for The Hunter... and younger parker?! wtf?
I have no idea what you have been watching, really !!

Be honest with yourself, other than the odd cup game, do you really seeing him playing much this season. It looks very much like we are going to sign Lemala (if Chelsea don't come in for at the last moment), now if what I have heard is true, he is a proper lock picker.
I have been watching him for Schalke and I could see what he was always trying to do in the half season he's had with us... Mark my words, he's better than Eriksen and Siggy and Lamela is primarily a winger so it's a moot question...

I'm a fan of holtby but I don't think has the ability to beat a player on the outside look up and smash the ball into the net or pass the killer ball more than twice in a season. That's not his strength imo. He is a string puller. Much like the other four we have bought.

We need someone dynamic.

Where is Jose Dominguez when you need him.

Seriously. Maybe Townsend could step up. It's a big ask but its possible. But my god. We need someone.

I'm a fan of holtby but I don't think has the ability to beat a player on the outside look up and smash the ball into the net or pass the killer ball more than twice in a season. That's not his strength imo. He is a string puller. Much like the other four we have bought.

We need someone dynamic.

Where is Jose Dominguez when you need him.

Seriously. Maybe Townsend could step up. It's a big ask but its possible. But my god. We need someone.

Lamela is a very direct pacy player, he's more like Bale than Hotlby. Holtby, and Eriksen are the close control types who can create space from nothing. Similar skills to Modric if you will. It's what we are missing and what we need.

If you don't think that Holtby can pass then you never watched him play for Schalke or for Germany U21s. He was running games single handedly for both teams at times. He's a fantastic one touch passer and can play killer through balls all day. Huntelaar is a very similar player to Soldado and he thrived off of Holtby behind him. Holtby needs some game time because I think he has real potential. I rate him much more than Siggy and more than eriksen even.

And Scott Parker? I don't think there could be a worse comparison for Holtby. Sure they both run around a lot but parker can tackle and holtby can pass. It's like comparing busquets and fabregas. Madness. I don't think Mr always right knows a thing about football...

I've no doubt Holtby will prove to be a very creative player for us. Some of our fans are real quick to write young players off when they don't settle right away and hit the ground running. Iirc Modric didn't exactly set the world alight in his first season with us. Holtby was one of the best young creative attacking players in Europe whilst in Germany and will prove his quality this season without a doubt. Parker MKII he is not. AVB wants 2 quality players in each position so we can rotate the squad and try to win all 4 competitions we're participating in which is great. I don't like the idea of fielding a weakened squad in any of the tournaments we participate in as the games about glory not "top 4 is our everything" that's the pikeys up the roads mentality.

Last edited:
Being a bit of a sad act, I used to watch quite a bit of Argentinian football. I've a particular fondness for River Plate.

Lamela only played about a season and a half there, but he was most certainly a number 10. Maybe that's what we've bought him for?

I dont think its either/or. Flexibility is the name of the game with AVB

Back
Top Bottom