We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, obviously that game was totally shaped by the early penalty call. It was cruel and frustrating, but ultimately by the letter of the law the correct call, and clear as day for all to see, no point in VAR really. Not sure that's really the intent of the rule but alas.

Not sure that by the letter of the law it shouldn't have been overturned. It definitely hit Sissoko's chest first and the law states that:
"There is no offence if:
- the ball touches a player's hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near..."

Yet things often DO happen tho... Presumably because we make it so too.
He made it happen in the semi final. We ditched the cautious play that saw us go 3 down on aggregate and went for an attacking game that took control. Last night we had control, but only in our own half. Why did we basically see out the first half happily being a goal down? Did we fear Livercunt? Is there some advantage not ttacking in the first half?

I was watching the match thinking "This is a rerun of PSV at home", the only difference is that we were playing a far better team who didn't eventually crumble.

You utter prick
I'll buy him a beer and talk football with him any day of the week

You - I could happily beat you with a baseball bat all day long, and not get bored.

If there was a vote on here for the poster that had a mouth that everyone would most like to take a shit in, you would win by a country mile.

You apology for a human being

Have a nice day

But in the first half all that possession was in our half, we didn’t complete a single pass into their area first half from 4 attempts, we completed 7 of 18 second half.

Second half they did she’ll, and concede ground, stop pressing high but they definitely did this to good effect first half.

You've shot down your own argument ... if they were pressing so hard and so high how did we have all day to pass it around in our own half? ... that makes zero sense

Dippers scored and then sat back for 85 minutes, the heat maps show they hardly got out of their own half, they might have defended well 35 yards from goal but that's about it, this wasn't pressing this was parking the bus ... even the hardly biased at all commentators admitted that ... although they called it magnificent team defending, but whatever you call it there's no way it was a high press ...

So, obviously that game was totally shaped by the early penalty call. It was cruel and frustrating, but ultimately by the letter of the law the correct call, and clear as day for all to see, no point in VAR really. Not sure that's really the intent of the rule but alas.

Still, given the way Liverpool reacted, slamming on the brakes and soaking up pressure, I'm not sure that early penalty was as much of a disadvantage to us as you'd imagine. I thought that was a shocking tactical decision by Klopp frankly, he really tempted fate there and we might very well have won, whereas against Liverpool in full flight playing heavy metal football I didn't fancy our chances at all. If you would have offered me a free Liverpool goal in exchange for them playing in second gear all game, I probably would have taken it.

I think folks are comparing today's performance to December 2016 Spurs more than April 2019 Spurs. We were a lot better today than we'd been for awhile. Kane looked a shadow of himself and was ill-suited at his fitness level for straining against a parked bus. For me, seeing what Kane was offering, and the sort of game it was (he'd have been better off as a deadeye finisher in an open game just lurking and making late runs) I'd have taken him off on the hour mark. Still, Sissoko and Winks controlled the midfield well, Rose was good, Son was full of danger, it was a decent enough showing. Not dominant and far from clinical, but better than we might have hoped. A draw would have been a fair result.

But alas, it wasn't to be. Football is cruel.

We'll see where we go from here. One gets the sense tonight may have been the ending for this squad as we've known it over the past four years. What a ride it's been, but it's very, very hard to take the empty trophy case at this point. We didn't deserve the trophy on the balance of this CL campaign, but my lord do we ever deserve it on the balance of the Poch era.

It hurts. It all just kinda feels like a tease at the moment. It really is deceptive to think that we're a CL final level club now. The future is very uncertain.
If they want another shot at the CL it comes to how strong the teams are next year.
PL will be hard to compete against Liverpool and Citeh again.
For the domestic trophies, i feel this team doesn't step up for the semi finals as it is, and it will be even harder to drag themselves out of the CL shadow and slog their way through places like Newport and Rochdale all over again

I'm genuinely interested to know what you do to hold the club to account. On the Board of the THST? Regular letters? Campaigns?

Exactly all this indignation is pure hot fucking air.

"Unacceptable"

Cunts need to look up the fucking word.

One day you'll melt so completely you'll run down a drain and well never hear from you again.
You self aggrandising, puffed up pisspot of a horror show.
Bugger off

You’re the one melting. That’s your MO isn’t it cooper, you don’t melt at Spurs, you come in here and melt at other punters. You’re no fucking different from all the cunts you whine at. They whine at Spurs, you whine at them.

Fuck off.

If they want another shot at the CL it comes to how strong the teams are next year.
PL will be hard to compete against Liverpool and Citeh again.
For the domestic trophies, i feel this team doesn't step up for the semi finals as it is, and it will be even harder to drag themselves out of the CL shadow and slog their way through places like Newport and Rochdale all over again

I think/hope it's the exact opposite ....

Dippers 2018 totally unexpected reached the CL Final ... they lost ... that defeat was a springboard to a massive improvement this season ... they invested in three/four quality players and look what happened

There's no reason at all this can't be a springboard for us - if you add in the fact we won't have to play 30 away games next season, then Double must be a near certainty .... COYS

You’re the one melting. That’s your MO isn’t it cooper, you don’t melt at Spurs, you come in here and melt at other punters. You’re no fucking different from all the cunts you whine at. They whine at Spurs, you whine at them.

Fuck off.
Don't see why people are too proud to admit they like to have a good old moan. Especially after tonight.

Back
Top Bottom