Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whether the shot was saved or not he should have taken the shot. I'd only complain if he launched it clear over the bar or was extremely wide right... Dele does that enough from close range.

Here's the "chance" again...
sissoko.gif

If you seriously think, in the below scenario, Sissoko should have shot and not passed (with a defender already flying in to block the shot, and the keeper with the right angle clearly covering the goal)...well...
siss.png

If there's anything to criticise, it was a bad pass from Son.

sissoko.gif

If you seriously think, in the below scenario, Sissoko should have shot and not passed (with a defender already flying in to block the shot, and the keeper with the right angle clearly covering the goal)...well...
siss.png

I still argue that he should have taken the shot, no need to take a touch just fire it on goal, like you said the defender was already coming in with a slide so how was the pass supposed to get through?

sissoko.gif

siss.png

The third option, that I would have liked, would be to ping towards whoever is running in at the far post (I forget who it was, Eriksen?) for a tap in!

The third option, that I would have liked, would be to ping towards whoever is running in at the far post (I forget who it was, Eriksen?) for a tap in!

I think in 90 out of 100 universes he'd have notched an assist.

Granted, it wasn't the best pass in the world, but I'm not sure you could expect that from a player who isn't ever going to win a Top Trumps battle on technical skills.

Dude, if there's any spherical chocking going on, it, its down to the fact that this post literally sucks balls.

VJ turned the game for us. Credit where it's due or GTFO imo.
He did well this past game. Probably his best. People freak out one way or the other over one appearance.

I clearly gave him credit for the past game. Reading comprehension is weak on here.

Seems to me Janssen's niche is to hold up and distribute in the box. Maybe hard to adapt to after all the scoring success in Holland, but it's a role I don't think Spurs have without him.
God knows Delle, Son, etc need the service in matches such as the last one when the opposition packs it in.

I'm sure people forget how much of a big brute he is for a 22 year old. Makes Lamela look like a stick man
Doesn't help that he looks like he's 30. I think people are less patient with him because he looks older, face and body - he's only 20 months older than Winks. He's only had one season of top flight football in the Netherlands prior to coming to Spurs. Not everyone is a freak like Dele who can dominate the Premier League after a couple seasons in the Football League.

sissoko.gif

siss.png

I think the best thing that could have happened was for Son to hold it up a half second and pass it to Eriksen. Sissoko was smart to try to cross it because he has a terrible angle and would have basically been a tap in for Eriksen or Dele. But of course we are saying this after the fact in slow motion. You're right, we shouldn't blame Sissoko for not shooting, it was the worst of the options.

Sissoko didn't shoot because he saw the blantantly open players for a tap in goal. He was probably expecting an earlier pass or even surprised Son played him the ball. Sure shooting was better in hindsight, but the main error was Son being completely unaware he had two wide open players and a good enough angle to play a simple pass for a tap in. You can see Son isn't even looking to his left.

I'd say Son more than made up for it.

Deserves to start if you ask me, he's slowly adapting. He's been good the last few appearances and his hold up play is perfect for players to feed off, Son is great off the bench so if Kane isn't fit then Janssen should be first in line to start. I'd like to see Kane and Janssen at some stage but I don't think it'll happen, Kane could have a field day feeding off Janssen.

Sissoko didn't shoot because he saw the blantantly open players for a tap in goal. He was probably expecting an earlier pass or even surprised Son played him the ball. Sure shooting was better in hindsight, but the main error was Son being completely unaware he had two wide open players and a good enough angle to play a simple pass for a tap in. You can see Son isn't even looking to his left.

I'd say Son more than made up for it.
For me Sissoko did the right thing there - think Son should have slowed it down a bit and used Sissoko's run to take the defender and either shoot or play it to the left. Once its to Sissoko he has to pass, if he was better he would have pulled it back to Son but other than that he attempted the right thing.

The more dominant we are in a game, the more his shortcomings are apparent. He reminds me of the cult players we had from the late nineties to early noughties, players who tried a lot but weren't really very good. I think we have moved on from that and we really need to upgrade him in the Summer.

If nothing else, he's worth his weight in gold (and that's a lot of gold) in being able to come on for Kane late in a match and act as a time-sink to see out one-goal leads.

I just think he's trying , he's happy to sit on the bench & learn. We'd struggle to get a player deputise for Harry . The balance is good, harmony is good. It's all fine.

Once again, so wish he'd scored the chance he had. That has been the story of his season. So many misses by inches or wondersaves.

I don't think we're going to have the money to spend on a Kane deputy over the summer (or indeed, on much at all) so it's going to be persisting with Janssen and hoping playing under a massive arch becomes a big inspiration for him.

Back
Top Bottom