Villas-Boas and Bale Win PL Manager and Player of the Month, Respectively

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Siggy or Sigurdsson. That's your lot.
This I just found out: referring to Gylfi as "Sigurðsson" doesn't follow Icelandic tradition. I know it's a patronymic (and not a family name), but I thought patronymics had all become family names on that crazy island. Apparently not. So Gylfi's dad is named "Sigurð Blahblahsson" and so on. Calling Gylfi "Sigurðsson" would be something like calling Sandro "Guimarães". Not wrong per se, but just… out of whack.

"Siggy" is obviously a nickname, but if I were to talk about the attacking midfielders Spurs have, and I was trying to be slightly formal, I'd have to say, "Spurs can look to Lennon and Bale on the wings, while they have threats in the center from Dempsey and Gylfi". Ah, the shit you can get away with when your culture is like 15,000 people.

Edit: For example, have a look at the Icelandic wiki page for the President of Iceland, Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson (Gylfi doesn't have one). Throughout the article, he's persistently referred to as "Ólafur".

This I just found out: referring to Gylfi as "Sigurðsson" doesn't follow Icelandic tradition. I know it's a patronymic (and not a family name), but I thought patronymics had all become family names on that crazy island. Apparently not. So Gylfi's dad is named "Sigurð Blahblahsson" and so on. Calling Gylfi "Sigurðsson" would be something like calling Sandro "Guimarães". Not wrong per se, but just… out of whack.

"Siggy" is obviously a nickname, but if I were to talk about the attacking midfielders Spurs have, and I was trying to be slightly formal, I'd have to say, "Spurs can look to Lennon and Bale on the wings, while they have threats in the center from Dempsey and Gylfi". Ah, the shit you can get away with when your culture is like 15,000 people.

So his kid could be called Sigurð Gylfisson? :gylfi:

Edit: For example, have a look at the Icelandic wiki page for the President of Iceland, Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson (Gylfi doesn't have one). Throughout the article, he's persistently referred to as "Ólafur".
I bet the other 280-ish tousand people would like to have a word with you! :hudd:

However, your actual point Éperons Éperons about patronymics becoming family names, look no further than their closest neighbours, Norway, Sweden and Denmark have all turned them into family names.

However, your actual point Éperons Éperons about patronymics becoming family names, look no further than their closest neighbours, Norway, Sweden and Denmark have all turned them into family names.
That's why I thought Iceland was the same way!

Incidentally, the Norwegian Gylfi wiki page sucks, and in it as well as in the Swedish one he's referred to as "Sigurðsson". In the Russian one, he's referred to as "Gylfi Sigurðsson" throughout, and in the French one, he's just "he". Better safe than sorry, eh Russia and France?

That's why I thought Iceland was the same way!

Incidentally, the Norwegian Gylfi wiki page sucks, and in it as well as in the Swedish one he's referred to as "Sigurðsson". In the Russian one, he's referred to as "Gylfi Sigurðsson" throughout, and in the French one, he's just "he". Better safe than sorry, eh Russia and France?
How many languages do you speak?

Back
Top Bottom