Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And yet it did work for their disallowed goal, when it would have the easiest thing in the world to draw the lines marginally differently or take the moment the ball was played back a split second if there really were this evil conspiracy against us.

And as for Cash's late lunge, it was a yellow all day long, never a red.

Whataboutery.

VAR missed an obvious penalty and possible red card for the elbow on Gil. They don't get prizes for doing their job later in the game.

And yet it did work for their disallowed goal, when it would have the easiest thing in the world to draw the lines marginally differently or take the moment the ball was played back a split second if there really were this evil conspiracy against us.

And as for Cash's late lunge, it was a yellow all day long, never a red.
mate

Var legit was not working. It wasn't a joke, it was not working.

Whataboutery.

VAR missed an obvious penalty and possible red card for the elbow on Gil. They don't get prizes for doing their job later in the game.
It isn't whataboutery, it's just saying that thinking there's a conspiracy against us is nuts, borderline Scouse.

Which isn't to say that the Gil call wasn't an awful one (although no one noticed it here or on TV till half time). It's just a case of them's the breaks.

It isn't whataboutery, it's just saying that thinking there's a conspiracy against us is nuts, borderline Scouse.

Which isn't to say that the Gil call wasn't an awful one (although no one noticed it here or on TV till half time). It's just a case of them's the breaks.

The scouse mentality works for them. The rage they can create in their fan base is a useful tool. No other club in football gets as much help from officials because of it. One decision goes against them and the officials lose their games for the following weekend or 2 and the incident os forensically examined on every screen in the world.

We'd all prefer that wasn't what worked in football but it is for as long as the premier league rewards it.

After yesterday's catalogue of fiascos, Tottenham have made subtle changes to Son Heung Min's kit, in a desperate attempt to confuse the VAR offside officials.

JAFwhaE.png

mate

Var legit was not working. It wasn't a joke, it was not working.
The Sky commentator said at the time that he'd been informed that VAR had 'looked at and cleared' the possible handball and the Gil forearm smash.

8min 25sec into the game. Check it if you like...

The challenge on Kulusevski in the box in the second half, looked like the defender took the ball then landed on Kulu's ankle - nothing given. How did that one look on TV? Haven't seen anything back - it was the other side of the box to my seat but it looked pretty obvious from my angle I was surprised they didn't give anything after having sent of Romero and everyone said how "clear" a red card it was

The challenge on Kulusevski in the box in the second half, looked like the defender took the ball then landed on Kulu's ankle - nothing given. How did that one look on TV? Haven't seen anything back - it was the other side of the box to my seat but it looked pretty obvious from my angle I was surprised they didn't give anything after having sent of Romero and everyone said how "clear" a red card it was

Looks like the way you described it.

Probably VAR decided that the shin is the only dangerous part of the lower leg because that was the only difference between Jones, Romero and that one.

Wasn't a foul, hence why you probably have not seen it replayed

Romero's wasn't a foul either, but there you go.

Lots of Spurs incidents reviewed on ref watch.
All 3 panellists agreed

No penalty / sending off in first few minutes for challenge on Gil. (and it was reviewed by VAR, only thing that was not working in first minutes was the monitor in ground)
Cash challenge on Bentancur correctly just a yellow
No foul on Kulusevski by Digne

Lots of Spurs incidents reviewed on ref watch.
All 3 panellists agreed

No penalty / sending off in first few minutes for challenge on Gil. (and it was reviewed by VAR, only thing that was not working in first minutes was the monitor in ground)
Cash challenge on Bentancur correctly just a yellow
No foul on Kulusevski by Digne

They aren't fucking honest on those ref watch bullshits. That's why 90% of fans just ignore them. They just cover the refs backs because they are under so much pressure to look after the big teams and not admit mistakes.

Was the Gil incident in the first 10 minutes\?

Obviously the VAR doesn't want the extra attention of not being able to send the Ref to the monitor and having the make a controversial decsions themselves. That's the last thing VAR needs atm so the incentive is there to sweep it under the rug.

Not sure about the timing of the Gil incident but Dermot mentions that it’s the onfield ref’s decision anyway. As usual , he’s always takes the sides of the officials’ decisions.

Has anyone ever asked if the VAR get a clean feed or the one with commentary?
Totally clean feed.
VAR does not even hear the referee and vice versa as a matter of course during game, only when an incident is being checked, they are in a sound proof room with the only interaction for VAR being with those in the room and the refereeing team. TV has one-way ability to listen to communications when the feed between Ref and VAR is open (so only when VAR is directly speaking to Ref)

Last edited:
Totally clean feed.
VAR does not even hear the referee and vice versa as a matter of course, only when an incident is being checked, they are in a sound proof room with the only interaction for VAR being with those in the room and the refereeing team. TV has one-way ability to listen to communications when the feed between Ref and VAR is open (so only when VAR is directly speaking to Ref)

How it should be.

Back
Top Bottom