Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Merry Christmas Everyone!

giphy.gif

How could they have come to the decision faster whilst having to check 3-4 things like that? Fucking thankless task. They need to put out of play technology, not just goal line, not sure why they can't make that happen easily, stick the semi-automated VAR for the offside and then the only thing to waste time on is the foul. Could come to a decision in half the time at least.

They could automate all offsides and balls going out of play and could have done it ten years ago.

Fed up with VAR.

As for the push, I have seen pundits argue that the defender clears it very easily without interference, and referees argue that his body movement from the hands on the back was over-exaggerated.

Whatever the correct decision is, I don't like the idea that it comes down to lack of evidence.

no way.

The "odd mistake" would be every week for us. I've seen it pre VAR and no way do I want to feel like that again

But mistakes are still happening with VAR... Except instead we get massive delays and lack of being able to celebrate scoring goals

I've got no issues with the idea of technology to help clear up off the ball incidents and clear and obvious errors. But using it to take 5 minutes to tell us thing we already know or saw with our own eyes is just nonsense.

Like I've said before, a perfectly good goal could be scored yet they'll check to specifically look for reasons to disallow it. Almost to make it seem like "see, it works"

Last edited:
In an opinion nobody asked for I think they should go and ask the fans what var should be there for.
Prior to var nobody had any problem with offsides other than ones where they were a mile off.
if the assistant only has a split second to make a call on the pitch var should only get 5 seconds to judge it. If they can’t see it then give the goal.
Football is not a game like rugby or nfl where you have constant stop starts, it’s imperfect and everything cannot be ruled on.
If the referee has made a decision on the pitch stick with it . If it’s odd the ball or he hasn’t blown for a free, then var should tell them at the next break in play.
Fans only wanted crazy decisions to be taken out… not the entire game.

In an opinion nobody asked for I think they should go and ask the fans what var should be there for.
Prior to var nobody had any problem with offsides other than ones where they were a mile off.
if the assistant only has a split second to make a call on the pitch var should only get 5 seconds to judge it. If they can’t see it then give the goal.
Football is not a game like rugby or nfl where you have constant stop starts, it’s imperfect and everything cannot be ruled on.
If the referee has made a decision on the pitch stick with it . If it’s odd the ball or he hasn’t blown for a free, then var should tell them at the next break in play.
Fans only wanted crazy decisions to be taken out… not the entire game.
100%. I strongly believe that if you bunged a Tech company 5M they could create technology that would automate offsides and make the majority of the decision conclusive line goaline

From what I've understood from semi-automated VAR it's about being able to track the player and the ball 50 frames a second or something through sensors, so if they can do that I see no issue them also tracking the amount of force used by a player on another player to determine "pushes"... won't that be fun.

Worst part of that entire video is the “no no they’ll check” piece at the very beginning.

Just shows what everyone has been talking about, VAR is the ref now. The man in the middle with the whistle is no more than a spectator with a great seat to watch a match.

Worst part of that entire video is the “no no they’ll check” piece at the very beginning.

Just shows what everyone has been talking about, VAR is the ref now. The man in the middle with the whistle is no more than a spectator with a great seat to watch a match.
Yeah. These absolute dweebs are determined to make themselves front and centre of the greatest game on earth. It’s taking away the ebb and flow.

Keep it for clear disasters only

Whatever they do, we should see the VAR lines, slow mo's and replays in the Stadium.. We just all stand there like idiots looking at a VAR CHECKING, screen.. What could they possibly show that would be contentious or cause issues. Presumably, they will stand by their decision, so at least let the money paying punters at the match have a clue what is happening.. We will see when we get home on the recording anyway.

So? Just go with on field. I would make it 15 secs to allow for obvious fuck ups only.
What sort of obvious fuck up would you want it for? Sending off wrong person or like somebody who's a mile offside?
Think I would just get rid completely tbh. Pretty refreshing when watching the u21s to be able to actually celebrate the goals when they go in

Back
Top Bottom