USA OUT of the World Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pleased to have at least one new name going to the World Cup.

With Syria getting knocked out and Iceland becoming too good it was looking like it was going to be a struggle for the football hipster to pick a team in Russia to support.

It's kind of like a situation where all your team has to do is go out and get a point on the last day, versus a pathetic relegated team, to finish above your rival for the first time in 20 years and then... Wait--

I'm horrifically depressed but at the same time a bit pleased. This entire national side needs some serious soul searching to figure out the root of our problems. If we got in tonight it would have papered over the gigantic cracks.

I'm a bit at a loss for words

Part of me is shocked and just a little dismayed at the whole thing, but the reality is that I just don't give a shit about it. Sure, I've cheered for them at times and if they went to the WC I'd support them, but I just haven't been able to put any heart into it for the last few years.

There is no focus, no direction, no identity, and no leadership anywhere in the organization. The best thing they can do is blow it entirely up and just start over again. Gulati, Arena, and every player (besides Pulisic) just needs to go.

I haven't been able to support them for a while and I just can't be bothered in the future. Tonight is just confirmation of all the things I've come to dislike about this entire system. Qualifying would have just given these asshats more runway.

The pressure's off, just take the opportunity and start rebuilding.
nuclear-atom-bomg-explosion-animated-gif-6.gif

I'm horrifically depressed but at the same time a bit pleased. This entire national side needs some serious soul searching to figure out the root of our problems. If we got in tonight it would have papered over the gigantic cracks.

I'm a bit at a loss for words
But 5 years of humiliation and misery is a bit of a steep price tag for some change.

It isn't like the last 5 years have been good either. I wouldn't call it humiliation or misery necessarily. Maybe something like purgatory?
Gold Cups and losses to Mexico are one thing, and 3 years ago we beat Ghana, outplayed Portugal, and took Belgium to ET in the knockouts. Granted the current team would have been quickly bounced in the group stages but we would have had the better part of a year to try and right the ship. It will hit home when the WC starts and we aren't even there for the first time in 32 years.

Gold Cups and losses to Mexico are one thing, and 3 years ago we beat Ghana, outplayed Portugal, and took Belgium to ET in the knockouts. Granted the current team would have been quickly bounced in the group stages but we would have had the better part of a year to try and right the ship. It will hit home when the WC starts and we aren't even there for the first time in 32 years.
We wouldn't have righted the ship next year with Bradley and Altidore still on the team. The old guard need to die and our youth need to start playing together.

Back
Top Bottom