UEFA Champions League 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't know if it has been mentioned already but it's the same as last year:

We welcome the current Bundesliga leaders in the first knockout round

RB Leipzig don't have Sokratis pretending to be a Centre Back. We were also a much better side than we are presently.

2018.... Definitely.
2019.... We were already on the skids by then. Those 2 matches were probably our best 2 performances of the season.

Would you not concur that this draw suits JM more than it would have done MP?

Well, you (I) learn something new every day.

RB Leipzig were formed 10 years ago as a vehicle to promote a disgusting energy drink. They've been promoted 4 times since then from the German 5th division to the first , and are now in the CL knockouts.

That's a bizarre combination of Modern Football is Broken and Roy of the Rovers dreamland stuff.

Why the fuck are people so happy about drawing the team top of the Bundesliga. Perfect record from the last 5 league games. Scoring for fun. 6 points ahead of the team that utterly embarrassed us 10-3 on aggregate.
I get that we avoided PSG, Barca, RM etc. but I honestly don't think the task at hand now is any easier particularly.

Has anyone actually watched any of their football this year? That league position isn't going to have been achieved through luck.

2018.... Definitely.
2019.... We were already on the skids by then. Those 2 matches were probably our best 2 performances of the season.

Would you not concur that this draw suits JM more than it would have done MP?
I don't think it matters who the coach is, we aren't playing any better today than we were under Poch. The change that Jose has brought has been a mental lift, but we are far, far from convincing as was evidenced by how we played on Sun. (When we played Dortmund, we sat back and countered them, so what's the difference with Jose's sit back and counter?).

Every team that we come up against that plays with greater energy and aggressivity we struggle, same as Poch and now Jose. We are about to play against a team that is one of the most high energy teams in Europe. Would far rather play a slower less pressy team like Real or Juve.

Why the fuck are people so happy about drawing the team top of the Bundesliga. Perfect record from the last 5 league games. Scoring for fun. 6 points ahead of the team that utterly embarrassed us 10-3 on aggregate.
I get that we avoided PSG, Barca, RM etc. but I honestly don't think the task at hand now is any easier particularly.

Has anyone actually watched any of their football this year? That league position isn't going to have been achieved through luck.
Their style of play is similar to ours in our last two seasons at the Lane. It's a young, high energy side with decent tactics. It will be tricky but doable.

I have no doubt that Jose will have a plan for how to suffocate them. They have struggled a bit in Europe this season, particularly against Lyon in the last round where they dropped a 2-0 lead.

We can take them, but we will have to work for it.

RB Leipzig were formed 10 years ago as a vehicle to promote a disgusting energy drink. They've been promoted 4 times since then from the German 5th division to the first , and are now in the CL knockouts.

That's a bizarre combination of Modern Football is Broken and Roy of the Rovers dreamland stuff.

If Roy of the Rovers flaunted ever rule in the book and was funded soley as an advertising project of a shitheel international conglamerate.

Bit like dirty Leicester and their league win.... Both financially and pharmaceutically dubious.

Bit like dirty Leicester and their league win.... Both financially and pharmaceutically dubious.

Well, they have hired a certain german doctor (DDR) connected with doping and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are doing some illegal stuff with their guys (the teams as well as individual guys they sponsor like Hirscher or Pinturault in skiing) at their sport headquarters...

I don't think it matters who the coach is, we aren't playing any better today than we were under Poch. The change that Jose has brought has been a mental lift, but we are far, far from convincing as was evidenced by how we played on Sun. (When we played Dortmund, we sat back and countered them, so what's the difference with Jose's sit back and counter?).

With Poch it was reactive (he said as much). We'll have trained for it this time around.

Every team that we come up against that plays with greater energy and aggressivity we struggle, same as Poch and now Jose. We are about to play against a team that is one of the most high energy teams in Europe. Would far rather play a slower less pressy team like Real or Juve.

But equally it's been a common complaint that we struggle to break teams down when teams sit back too.

I get your point about RM or Juve style play (being neither extreme) but we can't be reliant upon playing the perfect opponents each week. There's also always individual quality to take into account when playing teams of that calibre.

It's by no means an easy draw, but I think we should be the favourites to go through. Our players are more experienced with these stages of the competition, as for the coach...

Back
Top Bottom