Uefa bastards #seethe

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"Under another expected rule change, teams that win the Champions League or Europa League but finish outside the qualifying places in their domestic campaign will no longer usurp one of their league rivals to take up their place the following season."

Unlikely event? Unlikely event, my arse. Unlikely event unless you're Spurs. Then it's the most likely thing to happen. Ever.

In the unlikely event of two clubs from the same country winning the Champions League and Europa League and both finishing outside of the domestic qualifying places, then those teams would still qualify for the Champions League but the side finishing fourth would miss out.

Taken from here.

http://www.london24.com/sport/new_c...rs_2012_heartache_won_t_be_repeated_1_2207888

Can you imagine in 2015 we finally finish top 4 consign Woolwich to 5th, but an English CL qualified team beats another already CL qualified team in the final and AFC qualify regardless!!

It would be like Munich 2011/12 in a fucked up AFC friendly world.
Finally?
:avbcringe:

You mean we haven't before?

It's not an extra CL spot for the top leagues. It'd still be 4 spots regularly, but if an English team won the CL or EL without finishing in the top 4, they'd get into the CL.
If two non top 4 teams won the EL and CL though, whoever gets 4th would miss out on the CL.

Would'nt it make more sense to give CL spots to FA and CC winners, seeing as they are actual champions, and coming third and fourth is not an achievement.

It would certainly improve the interest and level of domestic trophy's ten fold.

Would'nt it make more sense to give CL spots to FA and CC winners, seeing as they are actual champions, and coming third and fourth is not an achievement.

It would certainly improve the interest and level of domestic trophy's ten fold.
Don't be silly. That means that some of the smaller teams in Europe might get a big payday.

Tssssk. Can't have that.

According to the link in the first post....

*shrug*

Also teams who win the Champions League or Europa League but finish outside the qualifying places in their domestic campaign will no longer usurp one of their league rivals to take up their place the following season.
That means the fate that befell Tottenham Hotspur in 2011-12, when they missed out on Europe despite finishing fourth because Chelsea won the Champions League and finished sixth, would not happen again. Instead, England would now have five representatives.

To me, that reads as a new maximum of 5, but 4 from the league. Because if a team won the CL but not in a qualifying space, doesn't usurp a team in the qualifying spots, and there are 5 teams qualifying, it must mean 4 qualify through the league.

To me, that reads as a new maximum of 5, but 4 from the league. Because if a team won the CL but not in a qualifying space, doesn't usurp a team in the qualifying spots, and there are 5 teams qualifying, it must mean 4 qualify through the league.
I think they are two separate proposals. In other words, the EL CL spot may get the green light, but the the five spots in the CL may not. The Guardian article certain readings as if it's a separate proposal, the Telegraph, on the other hand, reads as if it's conditional upon a EL win.

Who knows, maybe the journos aren't reporting it properly.

It read to me that; We finish in the top 4 next season and Woolwich finish 5th, they will get in to the Champions League because we won the Europa Cup too.

Now that'd be proper Spursy!

Bloody stupid UEFA. Again with my old fartess hat on, Champions League should be for Champions ONLY! Bring back the Cup Winners' Cup, then UEFA Cup for rest of the top 6. Silly me....... couldn't do that, not enough money to be generated.

Bloody stupid UEFA. Again with my old fartess hat on, Champions League should be for Champions ONLY! Bring back the Cup Winners' Cup, then UEFA Cup for rest of the top 6. Silly me....... couldn't do that, not enough money to be generated.
I actually think it'd generate more money than today's format, as there'd be tension and excitement from the get go in the most prestigious competition and still tons of quality teams in the secondary.

I actually think it'd generate more money than today's format, as there'd be tension and excitement from the get go in the most prestigious competition and still tons of quality teams in the secondary.
I think UEFA wants a competition with a lot of very well known teams that doesn't fluctuate much in terms of who plays as its flagship competition. Having only first place sides is too volatile.

they already had something in place...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962–63_European_Cup_Winners'_Cup

...then they pissed it all away in the 'CL Shake up' of the early '90s... fucking idiots don't know what the meaning of a winners competition means!

Back
Top Bottom