Trust calls for Levy to answer to the fans

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm just checking the bookies odds for my ITK, and after yesterdays, movement (not a dump), I'm pleased to announce that it's de Boer.
yours. smegmafarm, or for new ITK alias, Mr I do 3 shits a day.

TBF, De Boer has come in from 10/1 to 3/1 in just a couple of days. Bookies' favourite.
Given the confirmation from his agent we are interested is it any surprise?
Odds follow the market which follows the most common information, it doesnt mean much IMO.

We contacted that Swiss guy as well didnt we? Id imagine we are calling around, seeing what interest there is so we can assess next steps...

Given the confirmation from his agent we are interested is it any surprise?
Odds follow the market which follows the most common information, it doesnt mean much IMO.

We contacted that Swiss guy as well didnt we? Id imagine we are calling around, seeing what interest there is so we can assess next steps...

It's funny that people are enraged that we haven't done this before sacking. ie got the replacement lined up, but it's probably the same people that would be enraged if we had gone behind AVBs back to sound out replacements.

No need to sound out replacements behind anybodys back if you make the right decision from the start and then be man enough to back your decision for longer than 18 months.

You've had one. When Sherwood was announced you were also told that discussions were ingoing about the future of the management role. What else are you expecting? A update on who we're talking to?

No I was told we have sacked the manager and given a wishy washy holding statement. That is expected as an immediate response.
What I would like, and what I think will benefit the supporters as a whole, is a little insight into exactly why the club changed their tune from ´we are investing in the future with a bright young manager and talented young players' (to paraphrase) to 'We expected immediate success from our transfer dealings and demand our manager makes us title challengers NOW´'

All I'm seeing at the moment is lots of media speculation from 'sources.' Sure a lot of that is classic media bollocks but I don't doubt that there are a few people briefing from within both camps (spurs and avb)
De-listing from the stock exchange seemed like a decent bit of financial strategy at the time but it just seems to have made the decision makers even less accountable to their paying public.

Our PR department is becoming more and more closed off to the needs of the fans. For christ sake they aren't a government they are a football club. Why can't they just have a full and frank relationship with the fans instead of constantly sticking their fingers in their ears and batting us off with 2 paragraph soundbites on the official website.

If Levy isn't going to be forthcoming, then surely our so called director of football should be on hand to explain this rather important football decision no? Where is he? I don't recall hearing one peep from him in months. I don't want to go back to Redknapp style mouthing off to the press every 5 seconds, but truth be told I actually found his up front approach quite refreshing for the first year until it all became about him.

Just my personal opinion, but I think the reasons for AVB's sacking were self-evident enough to not require explanation.
It’s not just the three hammerings that we’d taken in as many months or the fact that we’d won two out of seven games following the Liverpool disaster; it’s the fact that our tactics, the level of harmony and understanding between the players, and basically our sense of team spirit was in total disarray.

AVB was brought in as a ‘project’ manager and yet it didn’t even look like he had the foundations of a project down after an 18 month stint at the helm. To add to that, the fact that he couldn’t make it work with basically any of the new players he was given, and that he was in fact willing to publicly complain about not getting the totally unrealistic signings he’d wanted, indicates he was far from pragmatic or consensual enough to work with Levy for any long stretch of time either.

AVB was brought in to be the ‘long term’ guy, and IMO he’d demonstrated fairly clearly by last weekend that he wasn’t going to meet that brief. No progress, no level of trust or mutual respect with the chairman, constant standoffs with the media and a hint of biting the hand that fed him starting to creep into his press attitude as well. This was evidently never going to work out over time.

It's funny that people are enraged that we haven't done this before sacking. ie got the replacement lined up, but it's probably the same people that would be enraged if we had gone behind AVBs back to sound out replacements.

I would have liked to have seen definitive action straight away. It may be that is exactly what is happening, but of course being on the outside we dont see it.

I would assume the club have a short list of potential candidates whom they will now approach, if a few show interest we will interview...

Its hard to keep your cool when all you hear about is interim appointments, Sherwood or hoddle taking over for the season etc... I hope thats just BS because the club is tight lipped. I just want us to get someone good in and move on.

Just my personal opinion, but I think the reasons for AVB's sacking were self-evident enough to not require explanation.
It’s not just the three hammerings that we’d taken in as many months or the fact that we’d won two out of seven games following the Liverpool disaster; it’s the fact that our tactics, the level of harmony and understanding between the players, and basically our sense of team spirit was in total disarray.

AVB was brought in as a ‘project’ manager and yet it didn’t even look like he had the foundations of a project down after an 18 month stint at the helm. To add to that, the fact that he couldn’t make it work with basically any of the new players he was given, and that he was in fact willing to publicly complain about not getting the totally unrealistic signings he’d wanted, indicates he was far from pragmatic or consensual enough to work with Levy for any long stretch of time either.

AVB was brought in to be the ‘long term’ guy, and IMO he’d demonstrated fairly clearly by last weekend that he wasn’t going to meet that brief. No progress, no level of trust or mutual respect with the chairman, constant standoffs with the media and a hint of biting the hand that fed him starting to creep into his press attitude as well. This was evidently never going to work out over time.

All potentially true but still speculation because you or I do not work at the club.
I also don't agree about the lack of team spirit or harmony amongst the players. I've yet to see one player still at the club say a bad word against him and most have said they really enjoyed training and desperately wanted him to do well. Direct quotes. From the players.

I'm not ignoring the reasons from a fans perspective why he possibly deserved the sack. But right now we're staring into the abyss with seemingly no plan or direction from anyone and I think it would be nice to have some reassurance that this decision was best for the club and some reasons to be optimistic.

All potentially true but still speculation because you or I do not work at the club.
I also don't agree about the lack of team spirit or harmony amongst the players. I've yet to see one player still at the club say a bad word against him and most have said they really enjoyed training and desperately wanted him to do well. Direct quotes. From the players.

I'm not ignoring the reasons from a fans perspective why he possibly deserved the sack. But right now we're staring into the abyss with seemingly no plan or direction from anyone and I think it would be nice to have some reassurance that this decision was best for the club and some reasons to be optimistic.

Good points all. But we were something of an abyss with no plan or direction after Ramos and after Redknapp. We sorted something out then, and I trust we will do again.

Let's just see what comes next, and evaluate then.

Good points all. But we were something of an abyss with no plan or direction after Ramos and after Redknapp. We sorted something out then, and I trust we will do again.

Let's just see what comes next, and evaluate then.

I think we appointed Redknapp the very same day Ramos was sacked. Redknapp was sacked at the end of the season so we have a whole pre season for AVB to come in and get used to his surroundings and sign players.

Right now we face a huge amount of fixtures in a short period of time that could potentially push us up the league or leave us way way behind. For all AVB's failings I would have trusted him to get results from the next few games. Even UNited away. RIght now I have no reason to be optimistic because there is no one managing the team who has any experience whatsoever.

But yes. Very interested to see how the club eventually ends up rectifying this and I'll be delighted if things improve. Right now I'm more than a little bit in panic mode. I was really looking forward to catching a few games over the christmas period whilst I'm back in London. If it's going to be 2 weeks of crying, moaning and losing to shit teams then it ain't going to be a very merry christmas.

Back
Top Bottom