Training Ground

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There is so much wrong with how we are playing currently, from Bale refusing to play on the wing to the detriment of the team and his own ability to lack of mental strength but what I really am interested in is what we do in training.

van der Vaart has said in the past that we don't do anything of note, which he likes, this is a terrible deriliction of duty on the part of the entire coaching system. Redknapp's white board is for drawing cocks on or something, not for tactics, and what his croonies do, I don't know.

Our set pieces are atrocious, laughably so. Our formation has no discipline - when, for the fourth time in the first half our left back and left winger where central and wide right respectively I almost swallowed my tongue in rage. We make life difficult for ourselves, which isn't to denegrate the opposition at all, both Norwich and QPR did what they had to fantastically but yesterday we deserved to lose more than QPR deserved to win.

This is a team of talented players, potential and a few water carriers. We have singularly failed to improve when in a position to do so for two January transfer windows in succession, doing so would have revitalised a tiring squad and sent a message that we take seriously the opportunity presented to us. Redknapp talks infuriating nonsense; suggesing he would have gone 4-4-2 yesterday if the players were available is enough to induce an anuerism...I want him out. I want someone who gives a shit about the team and tactics but above all else, the Club and us, the fans. We don't have a divine right to win anything, I don't think anyone would say otherwise but we have a right to see someone who cares and Redknapp isn't that person. I think Thenolious pointed it out (apologies if I am wrong) that Redknapp has achieved beyond expectation earlier on and that has projected a distorted persepective on his abilities, he was brought in to shore things up - he had, and for that I thank him but now we have to further our ambitions.

Sorry for waffling on. Sorry for the poor grammar. There is so much more to say and others who can say it far more eloquently than I can.
Was this written two and a half years ago, or yesterday?

Some people seem to think that most of our problems are something new, after all.

You say we have the 6th largest income in the premier league. Then you say we`ve punched well above our weight in the last 5 seasons ! Errrm` no, not really. In the last 5 seasons we have finished between 4th and 6th. So at best, punching ever so slightly above our weight, or round about where we should have expected to be. Also, under ENIC, we have never finished above above Woolwich. Never. Not once. Let me say that again. In 15 years or so of Levy and ENIC we have never finished above a woolwich side who themselves have been quite average. This has never happened since world war fucking two. Yes we are a selling club. You right about that. In fact, under ENIC we are used as a player trading facility rather than a football club. Why people still feel the need to come on here and defend them amazes me. Their catalogue of shamefulness is endless. From the Berbatov / Frazer Campbell fiasco to the Emirates ticket allocation surrender to the highest ticket price to watch second rate players sham to stub hub.............. You say we are not a massive club. We are a big club with a massive fan base though that deserve so much better than what ENIC are prepared to deliver.

Scholar nearly killed us, but we did finish above arse. Although I am not on one side or the other ENIC took over in 2001. By that time the PL took effect in 92, the CL had been established in 93 .
By the time ENIC took over Arse were already established top 4 side, and have only finished outside the top 4 3 x since the EPL's inception. 4 years before ENIC took over Arsehole were looking at relocating and it began in 2002...a year after ENIC took control. So, why in the 90's were we not thinking ahead?
Who else has managed to break the top 4 monopoly without a massive injection of cash from a rich benefactor? Only Spurs.
If you want to blame anyone blame the Scholar era, the inception of EPL and Sky ( which Sugar championed) the CL or even Sugar as he couldn't establish us as top 4 club, when it was easier, from 92 -2001. You would have thought with a man on the inside of the EPL's TV sale we would have fared better.
From 1970 -1992 we finished in the top 4 6 times. 6 times in 22 years when it didn't mean anything.

What I am saying is we have a 36,000 capacity stadium mate. How do you think we have the 6th largest income with the 11th highest capacity?
That Bill Kenwright is the fucking devil too.
We cannot have it both ways.
We slag off Chavs and City, yet we all want to be like them. A business is not going to throw money away. So do we really want a benefactor? ENIC out, but who do we want to take control?
We need a bigger home, but nobody wanted to move from N17 when there was not really any option to do otherwise.
We forget if it wasn't for SO19 and the following riot we would never have got any cooperation.

I have my differences with ENIC. However, if we were still at Chigwell ( and i did not see the 2 owners before ENIC sorting that out) we would not have a chance of attracting, producing top players.
My point is when you look at the bigger picture it could be far worse. We could be Tottenham Dragons and playing in Red.

SpursTraining.jpg

"Oh no, look what they've done with all the green space!........."

"..........they've made it all green and bushy and grassy. Criminal"

So how often will the lodge be used and by who?

International teams staying for friendlies qualifiers
Visiting European teams (ones not playing Spurs)
Possibly a base for other sports teams (Rugby, cricket) before major matches in the UK?

I guess the point I am making is, as nice as this place looks, its going to be empty most of the time.
It will be used by Spurs teams before every home game as well as the options you mentioned.

And Spurs has more than just a first team so there is the option to allow the u23s, ladies etc to use it ahead of games as well.

It doesn’t really make a difference to our status when most clubs are going down this route.

This will be Leicester’s new training ground complex when completed.
Leicester-City-FC_Training_Centre_0-1-1600x550.jpg

LCFC-training-1-500x260.jpg

That’s Leicester.

Even Low ranking Championship clubs like Reading are building hugely impressive complexes.

The training ground is lovely but let’s not try to convince it will lead to anything other than the club having an excellent training facility.

What other teams do is up to them but from what I gather Leciesters still isn't ready yet and it seems like our new facilities have been attracting praise from the likes of Inter Milan through to the Brazil national team. It all helps our brand and status grow.

We've gone from the below photo to where the training ground photos above are now. It is vitally important when showing potential signings around and it definitely looks like a very good investment:

MzvaEV_KiCU8sFg0kcT-e_0e24PAKIQL52lq-spDFlM.jpg

Money very well spent if you ask me. Now it's completed we can pay it off whilst investing in the squad improvements required moving forward.

A training complex isn’t going to draw players in - what does is lucrative contracts and the clubs capacity to compete for silverware. Leicester won’t to be able to compete with us with signings when they have a trading ground on par with ours.

You’re drinking the kool aid and telling yourself what you want to here. Take us out of this and ask yourself what this means for Leicester - then you have your answer.

Yes we needed a new training ground and yes it’s hugely impressive but that is it. It did little to help the club in 2013 when both AVB and Sherwood were sacked. And our performances have improved since then because we have had one of the best squads in the league - that would have still been the case had been at the old facility.

There's no point carrying this on mate. You don't think it helps to attract players or to keep them happy and focused etc, I think there's more to it than that. I'd rather have players that want to play for us because of these things than ones just chasing the money. The quality of footballer we have been able to attract and sign is substantially better since we moved in and whilst it will clearly add to the ROI and ultimately ENIC are an investment company who make most of their money not based on dividends but the sales of its assets I think it's silly to think that this kind of investment isn't going to help us on the field as well. It's a win win, a win for ENICs ROI long term, something they are absolutely entitled to do and receive as ultimately they are a business and that's what everyone is in the working world for and a win for our ability to shift the tag we had been associated with for too long.

It looks great and I'm sure the players enjoy spending time there and the ones that are 50/50 about signing leave visiting it more convinced of the project because of how it looks. Onto the next phase now which is paying off the stadium and investing money into the playing squad which seems to be happening seeing as we've just hammered our transfer record on Tanguy.

Last edited:
You say we have the 6th largest income in the premier league. Then you say we`ve punched well above our weight in the last 5 seasons ! Errrm` no, not really. In the last 5 seasons we have finished between 4th and 6th. So at best, punching ever so slightly above our weight, or round about where we should have expected to be. Also, under ENIC, we have never finished above above Woolwich. Never. Not once. Let me say that again. In 15 years or so of Levy and ENIC we have never finished above a woolwich side who themselves have been quite average. This has never happened since world war fucking two. Yes we are a selling club. You right about that. In fact, under ENIC we are used as a player trading facility rather than a football club. Why people still feel the need to come on here and defend them amazes me. Their catalogue of shamefulness is endless. From the Berbatov / Frazer Campbell fiasco to the Emirates ticket allocation surrender to the highest ticket price to watch second rate players sham to stub hub.............. You say we are not a massive club. We are a big club with a massive fan base though that deserve so much better than what ENIC are prepared to deliver.
Take it to the other threads on the matter, and then try and explain exactly how ENIC could have taken the club further. If your demand is that they spend more money, please explain why they should be willing to take a loss on their business. The thread for that kind of rant is here:

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/levy-enic.6177/page-55

Ecologists have found great-crested newts and grass snakes living on the site as well as colonies of long-eared and common pipistrelle bats

Plans to build a 45-room ‘lodge’ at Tottenham Hotspur’s state-of-the-art training ground have hit a snag after ecologists found colonies of protected newts and bats on the site.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/tottenham-training-ground-lodge-planned-5134226?

:walker::walker::walker::walker::walker::walker::walker::walker:

Time to bring out the gasoline again!

Back
Top Bottom