Townsend’s time is up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
After Andros Townsend came onto the scene for AVB’s Tottenham at the start of the 2013/14 season, several articles were published under the headline “Is Andros Townsend the next Gareth Bale?”. Feel free to copy and paste that into Google; you’ll find like I did a bunch of articles written in 2013 discussing that prospect. And blimey, what a prospect it was for us Spurs fans! We sold our hero, our talisman, arguably the best to play for Spurs in many years. And in an instant, we could have found a successor. Not one bought, but one of our own! […]

Read article

9t_R_-zRIEwcLThkt2Vkc_TISuC3mMOY80mLoW6I7mR42_-Ba9s5TGkKbc2HbSoGTwQ4n0cfqncArWCuUXIw_Rmy

A touch harsh, but largely accurate. Top half of the championship or bottom half of the Premiership is probably his level. People were right to compare him to a certain Welsh winger that played for Spurs. Unfortunately they should have been comparing him to Simon Davies, although I don't think he is as good as him

Last edited:
Up until 3 wks ago I preferred him to Lamela. If Lamela can show signs of being a footballer, then Andros can...and has.

Im not sure what AVB drilled into his head when Bale left, but it kind of went to shit from there.
Im a big critic, but he's here so I hope he can come good again.

Does that mean everyone else wants him to be shit and Spurs to lose so they win the internet?
Im confused.

Up until 3 wks ago I preferred him to Lamela. If Lamela can show signs of being a footballer, then Andros can...and has.

Im not sure what AVB drilled into his head when Bale left, but it kind of went to shit from there.

Does that mean everyone else wants him to be shit and Spurs to lose so they win the internet?
Im confused.
It means you know nothing about football.

If he is played in a position where he might actually help the team then we might still see the best of him.

That position is the left. Sadly ( I'm not having a pop)_our manager will only play inverted wingers.

Everytime he has played on the left he has looked more dangerous. Kane would benefit hugely from an out and out winger who will naturally cross an inswinger near the by line.

Sadly it seems these young managers now think it's illlegal if you don't play inverted. It's arrogance really to not even adapt and the team itself suffers, not to mention the player.

So Townsend isn't very good and it's all down to AVB?
:avbshit:

Here's what Roy said after AVB criticised his England call up:

"I think his manager said I was wrong to pick him and that I should have called him because he wasn't ready to play.

"But according to some he has gone from nowhere to a world hero in the same class as Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery!

"The only thing that worries me for him is that all of a sudden, from being a player that has been loaned out nine times, he is in the spotlight.

"I think the lad needs a break and I think people need to accept that this has been fantastic but he is still a young man learning his trade at the highest level.

"I certainly would want to protect him as best I can and I am sure his manager at his club would as well.

Something clearly happened from around that time, with the handling and coaching of Andros.

I said a long while back his career path would follow closely to that of Rohan ricketts,
No reason to change that.
Just wish we'd have cashed in when his stock was higher, now Redknapp has no club don't think anyone would be silly enough to buy him.
Anyone with the old black box will see his stats propping up every table.
Gash

He's had 3 managers,
stop/start appearances when fit as well as long periods of injury in the last two years. Not denying the frustration with him or that it might never happen but, he has shown ability for sure and, if Lamela is worth 2-3 years grace for £25-30m, then Townsend isn't exactly much of a punt if he gets a few more opportunities when we're piled up with games or, need to chase a game late on sometimes.

I said a long while back his career path would follow closely to that of Rohan ricketts,
No reason to change that.
Just wish we'd have cashed in when his stock was higher, now Redknapp has no club don't think anyone would be silly enough to buy him.
Anyone with the old black box will see his stats propping up every table.
Gash
tumblr_mzzglnlDFC1tr11rio1_500.gif

Im confused.

Deluded beyond belief. You either have no memory whatsoever, or are just a lying piece of shit. Sammy's support for Townsend

I think Townsend is shit
I think Townsend is shit

When your competition is Townsend and Lamela, you are going to stand out.

ho have both been dogshit beyond all belief.

Its not really surprising that he looked shit when he had to form a unit with both Townsend and Lamela though.

A touch harsh, but largely accurate. Top half of the championship or bottom half of the Premiership is probably his level. People were right to compare him to a certain Welsh winger that played for Spurs. Unfortunately they should have been comparing him to Simon Davies, although I don't think he is as good as him

It's harsh but the reality is even more worrying. His prem assists takes a hit since some were free kick or a corner. And Villa the prem goal was a cross.

So as bad as the stats were, they are propped up by luck or dead ball. Open play are even worse.

Time is up. We have to start thinking of less obvious impacts (not just Soldado and Ade bring starved of quality) like lost ground bringing on Prichards or Dembeles in attacking areas earlier or the lack of positive impact he had on Walker or DM's like Capoue, Sandro, Dembele and others that seemed constantly injured covering for him going missing.

How often did we see Sandro busting a gut to get back after yet another breakdown from the right flank resulted in a counter?

It's just bad news from every aspect you look at it.

IMO Trippier should take his place for attacking subs that need width and pace if our trad AM's don't work out.

I think someone more solid/accurate on and off the ball will help avoid the dm injury crisis we have had over the past decade caused by flimsy wings.

It's part of the reason why I would rather Dembele instead of lamela as right sided am. A few times this season he and Townsend have thrown Dier under the bus.

Esp when Kane and Mason were taken off when 2 zero up.

It's not just the obvious attacking stats that should be looked at. It's capitulations and overworking the defenders that lose points and cartilage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom