Tottenham vs Wolverhampton. Saturday, August 20th. 12:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First 4:30am kick off for us on the west coast of the U.S.
:tobyarm::tobyarm::tobyarm:

200w.gif
Genuine question - do you guys just push through the evening or do you get up early?

I think i'd just drink through the Friday night.
:sonlol:

Good morning all and good luck to all those travelling today, going to be a lottery as to which trains are available., so fingers crossed.

Whispers that Lenglet could be starting which would be good.

3-0 COYS..

Daniel Andersen (18) sadly passed away yesterday. Daniel and his brother Simen started a YouTube channel in 2014 which quickly became one of Norway's biggest. Both brothers has the disease Duchennes muscular dystrophy. Daniel loved Tottenham Hotspur and when he asked online for supporters to send him autographs, THFC made contact and invited him to his day of his life at the new stadium when they played against Bournemouth in 2019. Daniel and his family was given a VIP experience with many of the club ambassadors. Rest in peace, Daniel!

It’s nice to get back into a ‘regular’ game after the stress of last week. All the needle was sort of entertaining, but I’d honestly much rather see us playing beautiful football.

If Chelsea was a test of where we are now, maybe Wolves are even more so. They’re more ‘typical’ opposition, no pushover, capable of causing an upset, but we absolutely should be winning games like this.

And I think we will. COYS!

Fully involved: Ben Davies
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

‘If Conte tells you to run, you do – he scares people’
Ben Davies has been given a new lease of life at Tottenham under the Italian who assured him of his future at the club

Jason Burt Chief Football Correspondent
In a sports hall next to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Ben Davies is sitting on the floor, desperately trying to avoid becoming collateral damage in one of the most frenetic, loud and competitive games of “bench ball” imaginable.
As the pandemonium plays out, it brings to mind the chaos – albeit a more smiley, joyous kind of chaos – that accompanied the end of last Sunday’s game between Chelsea and Spurs at Stamford Bridge. Then, Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte’s handshake spat led to a melee, and both managers being shown red cards. It was a remarkable scene, reminiscent of a bygone age, and Davies cannot resist smiling at the memory of seeing his manager in the middle of it.
“It’s not something to laugh about but it’s a situation he gets into because he cares,” he says. “It’s contagious to have someone like that fighting your corner. I don’t want to get myself in trouble here, but you can see that everyone is together. Everybody is backing the manager, backing the other players. It’s all you ever want from a group, knowing that everyone – whoever was right or wrong – was sticking up for the man next to you. That’s what you have to do.”

This is the Conte Effect writ large, the manic intensity that the Italian brings to the touchline being replicated by the players he coaches. It was true at Inter and Chelsea, and now it is true at Tottenham.

“He’s built that in us,” Davies agrees. “He is so passionate, so driven. He has got his way and you want to work for him. The way he speaks … if he says ‘run there’ then that’s what you are going to do.”
It all makes Conte sound a little scary. Is he? “I am sure for some people,” Davies says, laughing. “But it’s clear. It’s black and white. The message always has a reason and it is to make things better.”
That message is not just delivered in rousing dressing-room speeches; it also comes in the form of individual meetings with players after every game – win, lose or draw.

“There is no tip-toeing around the facts and there are some harsh truths,” Davies says. “The standards are incredibly high. It’s not like we do a meeting if we lose and we don’t do one if we win. We do a review of every game. It’s that constant ethic of trying to improve that has been put into us as a team.”

There is certainly a fascination about Conte and the impact he has had on Spurs, who have been widely hailed as the team most likely to break the established “Big Two” of Manchester City and Liverpool this season.

But this is a coach whose work can also be measured in the progress of individuals. Take Davies, for example. Prior to the Italian coach’s arrival last November, the Wales international was part of Nuno Espirito Santo’s controversial “B” team, relegated to playing only cup matches.

More to follow

Back
Top Bottom