Tottenham vs City - EFL Cup Final - Ref Fucks Up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I sense he probably wouldn't have started if it wasn't a cup final.
True he set up Højbjerg. If only Reguilon was six foot ahead of play offside where he should have been (jokes)
I never called Kane out individually. My point is you can't have Son, Kane, Bale on the pitch and not create anything, blaming the rest of the team. Lucas was probably the best player for us. Not sure why he went off.
I agree Son should have gone off

Definitely more Son than Kane
Because of Covid, because of his age and injury history, and because of just the randomness of some of this stuff, do not be surprised if Harry Kane is harder to generate massive bids for than we think, and that's even leaving out the additional hurdle of Kane needing to agree to sign for another team.

You look at the fees for guys like Philippe Coutinho or Antoine Griezmann or Eden Hazard and you get the sense that a certain level of player is just a 100M pound note that can be cashed in on demand so long as their contract situation is right.

It is not so. Those deals reflect fairly random happenstances of circumstances, and also let's be honest, two extremely profligate clubs who have by all reporting run out of money.

He's absolutely right whatever you think of the man - we've been saying it all season, a centre midfield that is afraid of taking the ball, don't work for each other, create angles to receive the ball - the basics of football that a sunday league player should know.

Such a drab and gutless performance in a cup final AGAIN. Useless cunts.

You need to be fit enough.
He is fit his played as much as anyway. Watch his heat and you’ll probably find he covers more ground than winks. Winks was a total passenger who played in a 20 box just outside a pen area all game. Absolute shocking performance from him there is no defence for him playing g 90 minutes yday. Especially when last time he played he was just as bad and almost everyone here said they never wanted to see him in a spurs shirt again. Not just him but sissoko dier Doh and davies. Last 2 injured yday so mason couldn’t pick them but the rest especially winks and siss is 100% on mason. The worst thing is even jose would have played them!

He's absolutely right whatever you think of the man - we've been saying it all season, a centre midfield that is afraid of taking the ball, don't work for each other, create angles to receive the ball - the basics of football that a sunday league player should know.

Pretty much.

We are just embarrassing the club motto.

We are more scared of losing than we are attracted by winning.

Time to get rid of sissoko and winks, seems to be the consensus of the thread - to summarise

Time to give skipp a more high profile role at the club I think
Hasn’t that been the consensus for a while yet for some reason one of them played 90 minutes and one played almost 30 mins replacing one of our few creative players. Everyone keeps going on about rebuilds, lack of quality , Eriksen Dembele poch Jose. etc yet that has nothing to do with those two players still playing. The manger decided they should play in this one off game no one else. He took off Moura and goo replaced with bale and siss. Bale ok I get that but sissoko for gio surely lamela would have been a better option. At least he puts his foot in gets generally stuck in and creates havoc. They had 3 players on yellows I could image lamela doing a job.

Yep,

Doesn't take much to realise how we gifted them a cup title. That small clip is but one example of our midfield, as he states, not even wanting the ball. It really was comical at times.

Yes City are a great team, but we offered nothing.

I watched that on Twitter and Carragher did a great job of pointing out our issues, but I do disagree when he says it has nothing to do with Mason. He picked Winks for that role and then Carragher pointed out how terrible Winks was. But that is exactly how Winks plays all the time, it was not a surprise to Spurs fans.

Mason definitely deserves criticism for selecting Winks, as evidenced by Carraghers analysis.

Outplayed and outclassed by a far superior team on the day but we made so easy for them by being so passive. The mindset should be go all out for the win its a final ffs not trying to soak up the pressure and hope for a lucky break.
We thought we got our spurs back with Jose sacking? We played more Jose ball than if the cunt was in charge. I’m just so surprised that mason after 6 days tried be tactical. Why didn’t he just tell to go out and play like we did 2nd soton. On the front foot well at least try to press higher, move the ball quicker and be more aggressive generally. I guess the line up basically gave it away o how we would play. Did bake talk himself out of a starting spot when he said we should play on the front foot bacause of the players we have. Plato g winks out paid to that howeve mason put bale on in 2nd half but he is no use if we are gonna sit so deep. Doesn’t make sense bake needs to play when we are pushed up and on the front foot when he can get on the ball. Complete waste of bringing him on with sissoko. No idea what mason was trying to achieve?

Yep,

Doesn't take much to realise how we gifted them a cup title. That small clip is but one example of our midfield, as he states, not even wanting the ball. It really was comical at times.

Yes City are a great team, but we offered nothing.

A fair analysis by Carra there, I can’t argue with it at all. It did improve in the second half, but not by much.

I never expected us to win, I just wanted us to show some guts and fight for it. We were cowards though. In the end the only reason we didn’t lose by more was because of how poor City’s finishing was.

I expected us to play a lot more free, maybe it was asking to much but the players looked tentative and like they didn't want to be there. I had hoped that with Jose gone they at least would have seemed to play with a bit more fun, passion and freedom like they did in the 2nd half against Southampton.

City may have only had 4 shots on target but that was because of a few bad misses and some amazing blocks by us, no need to sugar coat we were thoroughly dominated, especially in the first half and it was luck more than our quality play that kept that from being 2 or 3-0.
Completely agree why try to play like jose when his gone. Mason tried to too clever. He should have just let the handbrake off and picked the most technical players. The starting 11 against Soton was good and we eventually started playing in the 2nd half so why not continue down that path. Mason could have just gone on and done a Harry give the players their confidence back and tell them not to be afraid to make mistakes. Build them up and rest for the challenge but instead we just stood off didn’t track runners and were basically 5 minutes behind in our heads compared to citeh. Added to that some players completely bottled challenged especially Son.

The worst thing about yesterday is that it would have been a surprise if we won.

That at no point at all did I think if we have a top day we will outplay them.

We can't dominate anyone and it really felt like David and Goliath.

The sheer inevitability of the outcome and that it would follow another poor decision from our players is nearly as painful as how far we have fallen.

Leeds would have given City an infinitely harder game.
Defo they actually beat them scoring 2 goals against them one when down to 10 men.

Back
Top Bottom