Tottenham versus Inter

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We now have options to rotate without weakening the team. Winks, Moura, Vertonghan and Lamela all to start.
The good thing is we do not play until Sunday and Woolwich also have midweek match in Ukrane ( had to google where it was) weaker opposition and they may rest more players but 1 days less rest and long travel.
We simply need to win and I think we will, setting up a match day 6 climax.

So to confirm - We need to beat Inter by more than 2 goals and hope Inter lose to PSV on MD6?
We need to be Inter by 1-0, or by two or more goals, and then match their result on the final matchday (e.g. if they draw we also have to draw, etc). If we win 2-1 then we have to match their result on final matchday including goal difference (e.g. if they beat PSV 3-0 we also have to beat Barca by three goals - if they lose 2-1 then we have to make sure we get a result or only lose by one goal as well).

If, big if, we can start and play like we did yesterday I don't think they'll be able to live with us. Really hope we can get the win (1-0 or 2 plus goals) and take it to the Nou Camp with hope that we can pull it off.

Win and then beat Barcelona at the Nou camp to qualify......

Do that and we can start dreaming.......

Although if you gave me a choice of beating Inter or beating Woolwich........ It'd be Woolwich by a long way.

Looking forward to this. It’s a free hit because we have nothing to lose.

Winning the thing is always going to be incredibly tough, so for me the CL is all about the glamour ties, the high profile, and the implications it has for retaining and obtaining players. Barca and Inter have been great occasions, so whatever happens I’ve still enjoyed the campaign.

Let’s go out there and smash them, and give the Barca game some real significance.

We were the better team in Italy and deserved at the very least a draw; it's perfectly possible that we win 2-0/3-1 on Wednesday and then it can get very interesting in Barcelona (who most likely have nothing left to play for).

Here's a good question....in terms of England, why have London clubs always struggled in the Champions League? Manchester and Liverpool have 8 CL titles between them, while Nottingham have 2 and Birmingham have 1. It wasn't until 2012, when Chelsea became the first London club to win the CL.

Here's a good question....in terms of England, why have London clubs always struggled in the Champions League? Manchester and Liverpool have 8 CL titles between them, while Nottingham have 2 and Birmingham have 1. It wasn't until 2012, when Chelsea became the first London club to win the CL.
No specific reason Id say. Arse used to be better but nowhere near good enough. Chavskis have failed over and over while spending their millions and still only barely won one with a ridiculous amount of luck. For their level of spending, theyve been poor.

We havent been good enough to win it but on an upward trajectory, so who knows.

Woolwich were 1-0 up in the final in 2006 v Barcelona with 15 mins left to play (lost 1-2), Chelsea lost a penalty shoot out v Man. United in the final in 2008.. Both teams were remarkably close to winning the Champions League, sometimes it's just about little details or bad luck.

Last edited:

The figures are swayed by European Cup versus CL ... when it was the European Cup there was always the element of luck in a knock-out format plus you could have 'the luck off the draw' .... now it's the CL only the very best get to the QF's and beyond, there is no 'luck' anymore ...

There's also been the shift in power at the top of European Leagues, the likes of Real, Barca, PSG and Bayern have the CL as their main and sometimes only focus ... in the EPL you have to focus on top four first and hope for a decent CL run second ... that's just the way it is ...

EPL teams arrive in the later stages playing vital League games every week ... the top European teams arrive with their league titles in the bag resting players for CL ... that makes a massive difference

Look how even Barca have struggled when the La Liga title was not won by March .....

When you add in 12 London derbies (I counted Watford) where the league table form goes out the window - just look at those low-lifes at the athletics track, we're their cup final twice a year - then suddenly it's much harder for a London side to be fit, rested, and mentally strong at the end of a tough EPL season ...

Put Woolwich / Chelsea / Spurs in PSG's position and they'd have a far greater chance of the CL ... only a theory but the lack of trophies from the top league in the world tends to bear it out ....

I want to win this one, but then I want us to win every game!! I'm still annoyed how we dropped the points in both our away games, so hopefully we've learnt the lesson, and will blast Inter out of sight. I want to go to Barca with something to fight for.

My team for this one:

Lloris
Aurier
Dier
Alderweireld
Davies
Wanyama
Winks
Eriksen
Lamela
Lucas
Llorente

Bench
Gazzaniga
Walker-Peters
Vertonghen
Sissoko
Dele
Son
Kane

I know it's crazy not to play Harry but we need luck to qualify and the NLD should be our priority with how things look at the moment. If we need a goal we have the depth on the bench to bring some units on but I'd focus on fresh legs, balance it up a little and hope & think that the starting XI would be enough at home to get one over on Inter. I'd possibly start Kane but it would be begrudgingly with a monster game coming up Sunday where we could really burst their bubble!

A real shame Juan can't play, he'd be starting this one as well in my opinion

2-1 Spurs

I think we'll play much the same against Inter as we did Chelsea. Poch often sets tactics in a run of similar fixtures. Three big games against capable teams. I think we'll win by our two clear goals.

Back
Top Bottom