Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would be lying if I said I wasn't more than a bit worried tbh.

We have been incredibly shit these opening three games, carrying on from how woeful we were for large parts of last season. We were incredibly fortunate to beat Villa, should have been beaten 6 or 7-2 by City last week in reality and then that shit show today.

The team just looks so done, so jaded, so out of ideas. Teams seem to really have figured out how to play against us too these last few seasons. Sure, we get a bit of luck or a bit of quality shines through sometimes which wins us games, but gone are the days it would seem where we are able to play shit like Newcastle off the park and win totally on our own terms ala City or Liverpool.

Hopefully once we get all new signings up to speed they'll be able to freshen things up a bit, but by the time that eventually happens we could be a long way off the pace I fear.

He’s a master at shit hosiery and never seems to get caught, but if there is a fixture where his luck will run out, it will be this one.

iloldowl.jpeg

My first "home" game since Villa thought Timmy Gilet might actually do a job.

Doesn't feel like 4 years ago.

Still. Looking forward to being back in Tottenham. First beer opened.

You may call me a "melt" but this highlights our total lack of investment in the transfer window. Newcastle are shit, managed by one of the shittest managers in history and yet we are losing. There is quite a lot of surplus to requirements in this squad, everyone raved about our strength in depth, let's wait and see on that front!!!

I for one am SHOCKED that starting Lucas and Son didn't work against a team willing to sit back and soak up all of our possession.

SHOCKED.

:pocheyes:

Unimaginative, listless, no penetration, lacking in any sense of urgency - just poor - extremely poor. That was Spurs today. It's so frustrating to see them pass the ball sideways for 100 minutes.

I'm sorry, but that was rubbish. Nobody played well. Nobody.

And we've got bloody woolich next week.

It would be a huge mistake to start to Lamela. I rewatched the first half against City and he gave the ball away something like 8 times. He played a big part in us playing so poorly. He's too easy to press and deposses, and always wants more time than's available and if rushed, often messes up even straightforward passes. This losing possession both kills our attacks and invites more pressure on us. It's a theme of his entire Spurs career, being very poor in first halves because everything's too quick for him. He's had very few assists in first halves, I'd guess less then 5 in the PL, and even fewer goals.

Yes, he got a goal on Saturday but if was fundamentally a goalkeeping error. He put in a decent corner but his overall record of goals coming from corners is actually quite poor as they lack pace and if one our players does reach it, they have to generate the pace, which Lucas did to great effect.

If Lamela starts against Newcastle we'll still win because they're terrible, but if Lamela pops up with an assist or something Poch might feel obligated to play him against Woolwich and that would be a terrible mistake. We need to play our best players in that game, because it's gonna be a real tough fixture.

And Newcastle at home is the perfect fixture to start Lo Celso and bring Son back. I'd also like to see Skipp start.

As much as I want Son to start on Sunday, I think he’ll be on the bench. Lamela has 2 assists and a goal in his 2 games this season, Lucas is worth of a start and Eriksen is the dictator of play. Gives us a great option off the bench though.

This isn't 2015. Son starts. No question. Makes us a totally different team.

Let’s just say his sexual fantasies were leaked from an Instagram PM. They aren’t quite what your normal person in the street would want..
It will take a strong minded person to come back from this. I’ll take my hat off to him if he remains in the public spotlight after this.
If he's into humiliation he'll be having a fucking ball then...

Just need son and Moura to stay wide. Both love coming inside or playing through the channels and it limits the space for Kane to play in. They need to be out on the touchline making runs diagonally behind the defense and putting balls across the box. Of course, they should mix it up, but we don't want all 3 playing in the 18 yard box, it reduces our effectiveness greatly against teams who sit back.
I honestly believe it's tactical that the likes of Lucas and Son stay central. When they play, they're essentially strikers. It's quite baffling that of all the formations Poch has tinkered with during his time here, he seems hell bent on not having fast wide forwards in the mould of City or Liverpools style, even when on paper it would seem we have the players to do it.

Back
Top Bottom