Tottenham v Man.City 29/10/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Aurier is STILL the best RB at the club. He had an excellent pre season and played very well every game he started this season.

Only Poch knows why he prefers Trippier ahead of him.

It’s not only Poch that knows why Trippier gets picked ahead of him a lot of weeks, you just have to watch games like Wednesday to get it. What Trippier does in the ball in midfield and forward areas is much more composed and productive.

And even on good days, Aurier is still making rash mistakes, like walking off his man at set pieces and allowing him to score, like against Inter.

That said, I don’t mind if Aurier starts this one, sensible bit of rotation.

It was a tactically astute thing for Poch to do, play a quick RB at LB to deal with a quick left footed inverted RFwd. Generally it worked well, although Salah still scored....

Nothing to do with Aurier though that goal.

Didn't we stop playing because we thought Kane had been fouled? Only for them to play the perfect pass through (Think it was Henderson), I think it might have been Vertonghen who fell asleep and Lloris was absolutely atrocious for their goal.

LOL, but your right though. I sometimes think it is an unwritten rule on forums that supporters must not criticise the manager under any circumstances. Poch is a very good manager, but he certainly isn't brilliant, and he still hasn't won anything anywhere he has been. His substitutions and tactics are sometimes questionable, some of his signings have been appalling, and his insistence to play a high line regardless is infuriating. levy on the other hand is just a cancer. Because of the crazy way this site works I have feeling this will get me a ban.
I'm no doctor, but I'm sure that a cancer is something that slowly sucks the life out of its host until it eventually kills it.
Under levy we have risen to being one of the top 4-5 teams in the country, without the aid of massive cash injections or buying silverware. We have played in the (arguably) hardest competition in the world and humiliated former winners of the competition in the process, and we have a team that plays the best football in the 50 years I have been supporting the club. Our team has the captain of the world champions in it, the most sought after striker on the planet, and two other players that can walk into the first team of pretty much any team in the world. On top of that we have moved the club out of an historic relic of a ground into what will be the most hi tech and sophisticated football stadium in the world.

and that's cancer, is it?

I think this will be a good game to judge the character of the side after the PSV result.

It could go either way. More likely to go against us, but we can beat them.

I am most concerned about the defence. At the moment none of the back 5 fill me with confidence. It might be a game for scrappy defending and just getting up to the forward players instead of playing around at the back.
With the condition of the pitch in mind, might be worth playing long ball with Kane and Llorente.

Lloris
Aurier Alde Sanchez Davies
Sissoko Winks Dier Lamela
Llorente Kane

I think this will be a good game to judge the character of the side after the PSV result.

It could go either way. More likely to go against us, but we can beat them.

I am most concerned about the defence. At the moment none of the back 5 fill me with confidence. It might be a game for scrappy defending and just getting up to the forward players instead of playing around at the back.
With the condition of the pitch in mind, might be worth playing long ball with Kane and Llorente.

Lloris
Aurier Alde Sanchez Davies
Sissoko Winks Dier Lamela
Llorente Kane
Winks and Llorente to start and benching Dembele, Lucas and Son.....

Hmmmmm....

We have to be in City's face but also avoid giveaways. I think that is the probably second only to set pieces as 'assists'

If we were at full strength and at it I would say it would be a 45:55 call as we are at home. If we had 2 out and out strikers I also think we would have a chance.

We just lack a bit in my opinion and are too one dimensional.

It's been a while sinch Poch pulled out a tactical surprise in his team selection.

I tell you I thought playing Llorente off Kane worked really well in Madrid last season. He never went back to it.

The only teams I have seen in recent memory that have taken it to City are teams that press the hell out of them. Can we do that? Yes we can and we should. Sitting and countering will allow them to pick us apart imo

I hate us losing to anyone. Really messes with my equilibrium so as long as we give them a fcuking good match I will be reasonably okay.

I could not give a flying fcuk for the Spendiola charm offensive. The guy is a baby who does sh!t for me.

Last edited:
I'm no doctor, but I'm sure that a cancer is something that slowly sucks the life out of its host until it eventually kills it.
Under levy we have risen to being one of the top 4-5 teams in the country, without the aid of massive cash injections or buying silverware. We have played in the (arguably) hardest competition in the world and humiliated former winners of the competition in the process, and we have a team that plays the best football in the 50 years I have been supporting the club. Our team has the captain of the world champions in it, the most sought after striker on the planet, and two other players that can walk into the first team of pretty much any team in the world. On top of that we have moved the club out of an historic relic of a ground into what will be the most hi tech and sophisticated football stadium in the world.

and that's cancer, is it?

The cancer is a chairman who spent hundreds of thousands of pounds and a court case attempting to move the club to East London. A chairman who has spent less on players (net) than almost any other club in the premiership, and is the first chairman in premiership history not to purchase a single player in the summer window. A chairman of a massive club that has only won one league cup in his seventeen years in the job. A chairman who has taken 17 years to actually build a new stadium, and because he refused to enter into a fixed priced deal has cost the club millions of pounds. A chairman who employed Santini, Ramos, and AVB. Never mind though, because you think he is great, and I suppose that's all that matters

That's really funny. Llorente is quite possibly the worst striker in the league, and Winks is just another Mason/O,Hara/Clemence etc. That said, I actually agree with you. Play our worst players against City, and let them stuff us. Play our best players against the Spam on Wednesday, and lest attempt to win something

The cancer is a chairman who spent hundreds of thousands of pounds and a court case attempting to move the club to East London. A chairman who has spent less on players (net) than almost any other club in the premiership, and is the first chairman in premiership history not to purchase a single player in the summer window. A chairman of a massive club that has only won one league cup in his seventeen years in the job. A chairman who has taken 17 years to actually build a new stadium, and because he refused to enter into a fixed priced deal has cost the club millions of pounds. A chairman who employed Santini, Ramos, and AVB. Never mind though, because you think he is great, and I suppose that's all that matters

It hasn't been called the Premiership in 11 years, grandpa.

Astonishing
He also failed to cure cancer, secure an acceptable Brexit, stop Trump getting in, preventing the twin towers destruction or the massive rise in house prices.
But he did achieve all of the things I said, and made our club so much better than it was, for so long.
But it's not good enough for you.
We'd all like it to have been 10 league titles and 5 consecutive European cups but to be where we are is so much better than the shit that preceded it.

No more "Boys, come on, it's Tottenham"

The Fighting Cock was a Podcast before it was a forum, take a listen to one of the pods in the first season, you won't hear about us in the Champions League, you won't hear about the top 4. No in fact you will hear the desire to finish above Woolwich, because it had been years since we'd even achieved that.

You can talk about any chairman making mistakes, because no club has ever had a chairman who only made the right decisions, yup, even Real & Barca who overspent or didn't buy the players when they could have. You might be right, we might have done better, but it's fucking one eyed not to believe we could have done a great deal worse. As for signing the wrong manager, give me a club who has never appointed a manager they regret, just one, I'm struggling with that....

No one wears scarves with Levy's face on or has twitter fan pages for him and he shouldn't be clear of objective criticism. Though the fact is that he's built real foundations for this club that will outlast most posters on this board and steadily turned up the ambitions of the club. To ignore the progress made over the last 17 years takes any credibility from your critique.

There have been many seasons I can recall Europe being a pipe dream, where our ambitions were survival and not losing to Woolwich, the fact we've not won more silverware is a harsh when you look at where we have made progress, even this season, yup not playing well, but won 7 in 9 prem games, a record most clubs envy. Don't get suckered in to thinking we're entitled to silverware or should beat every team we play, that's not being objective that's being delusional.

There's nothing wrong with wanting success, there's everything wrong with expecting it.

To the game, Man City is not one I've been looking forward to, we need to get a handle on our shape, make sure that the midfield press works. Playing defensive against them is incredibly tough because they have so many weapons to split the defence, Mahrez is looking particularly dangerous, but then so is Sterling, Aguero and KDB, they're a very strong side. I'm not holding out much hope of us winning but performance is key here, no Lloris cock ups, Son getting some time to get back in to form and hopefully some magic from Lamela. Being fair I just hope City has an 'off night'!

COYS!

Back
Top Bottom