Tottenham (the area)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've been going there since I was a kid as my nan and grandad lived 15/20 minutes walk from the ground and I would say the demographics have changed there more over the last 2/3 years than it did over the previous 20/30 years. Now when you get off the tube there are loads more younger people, student types or east Europeans (plumber that did work on my house last year lived in the new flats by Tottenham Hale for example). It wasn't really like that in the past and just shows how the area is changing.

I don't live there so cant speak about what it is like, I live in a different part of London where there's been stabbing or shootings 10/15 minutes walk from my house and I live in a decent area, so if there is trouble and you're in the wrong place at the wrong time it can happen in lots of places in London.

I've been going there since I was a kid as my nan and grandad lived 15/20 minutes walk from the ground and I would say the demographics have changed there more over the last 2/3 years than it did over the previous 20/30 years. Now when you get off the tube there are loads more younger people, student types or east Europeans (plumber that did work on my house last year lived in the new flats by Tottenham Hale for example). It wasn't really like that in the past and just shows how the area is changing.

I don't live there so cant speak about what it is like, I live in a different part of London where there's been stabbing or shootings 10/15 minutes walk from my house and I live in a decent area, so if there is trouble and you're in the wrong place at the wrong time it can happen in lots of places in London.

Bad things can happen in any city in any country - as an example don't walk a couple of blocks away from The White House in Washington DC in the wrong direction after dark, its potentially not safe at all.

And as you say you can be in a 'nice part of town' and still find muggers and other criminals, probably in that part of town simply because of 'rich pickings' available there and not in poorer areas.

Prefer being in the Tottenham area pre and post match than Wembley.

Ultimately, it's just a feeling.

When you try and break it down - small businesses people have visited for years, an area that feels like it has people living nearby, the type of shops you get, not having to be in that awful tube station queue, it's about 45 minutes longer for me to get home from Wembley, and I suppose it's also just that feeling of being 'home', even if I live 40-50 minutes drive from WHL.

Wembley doesn't have a soul in my opinion.

edit: 40-50 minute drive not on match days. otherwise I would be living in Edmonton!

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs how can you disagree with how I personally feel about Tottenham and Wembley?
Weird one - but care to elaborate your thoughts ?

I don't think it's the greatest part of London but it's not the worst by any means. It's always had a reputation after the rioting of the 80's but there isn't significantly more crime or social disruption in Tottenham compared to other parts of London. Islington for example, despite it's trendy, leftist image, has some of the most god-awful council estates you'll ever find. As do Stoke Newington and Dalston and other areas in Hackney. Most of Tower Hamlets is a fucking sewer. Hounslow, Bermondsey, Peckham all shitholes that make Tottenham look quite good.

I get the feeling some people in this thread visit Tottenham for football then disappear back to Essex, Hertfordshire or wherever they've come from. If you really want to talk about shitty parts of London i can assure you Tottenham would not be top of that list.
100% spot on its clear who the Essex Kent day trippers are. Whats funny is I have mates from Broadwater farm I also have them from Kent coastal towns that no one ever calls shit holes or dumps generally. The only different is the racial make up of the areas but trust me I have seen MORE violence povery deprivation and crime in them coastal towns. I've lived in big cites in America, South Africa and South America id take London all day long and Tottenham in particular.

100% spot on its clear who the Essex Kent day trippers are. Whats funny is I have mates from Broadwater farm I also have them from Kent coastal towns that no one ever calls shit holes or dumps generally. The only different is the racial make up of the areas but trust me I have seen MORE violence povery deprivation and crime in them coastal towns. I've lived in big cites in America, South Africa and South America id take London all day long and Tottenham in particular.
Have you lived in a Kent coastal town?
I have lived in a few, and several places in London too.
In the years I lived in London I saw far more crime per year compared with Kent coastal towns.
Have also lived in Barcelona, Finland and Western Australia. London again wins hands down for visible crime.

Though I would expect London to have less violent crime and poverty compared with the developing world, whilst generally being a more desirable place to live too.
Sounds like you need to try living in nicer places if you think Tottenham is the best place on offer!

I personally love the fact that Tottenham has a bit of an edge. I can comment if I would love to live there but as others have said, it is very clear that there is some major gentrification going on.

A few years ago I ended up in the area of Stamford Bridge. Me and my mate ended up have a couple of pints in one of the pubs nearby the ground and yes it does look nice but I would not change it in the world for our match day experience.

On a nice day I love the walk from Seven Sisters to the ground. Nice to stop at some of the pubs around the High Road and always plenty of to things to observe. If the weather is shit I just take the overground to WHL station so that's all very smooth.

In general I don't think that London is a great place to live if you are not a very wealthy person. It's simply too expensive and most other Western European capitals offer much more value for money. I'd prefer to live in Brussels for example and take the Eurostar on a regular basis to go watch Spurs.

Anyone that thinks Tottenham is safer than Kent is deluding themselves. I was born and bred in London & have worked there for the last 42 years. I have also lived in Folkestone & other places in Kent (total of 17 years) as well as East Sussex (17 years).

I don't feel worried or scared visting Tottenham or other parts of London & have hung around N17 at 3am waiting for Spurs coaches to European away games. But i know where i felt safer bringing up my family.

The way I describe it is like a 3rd world country, it is very cheap, this doesn't mean it as bad. I have no problem going when it isn't a match day, it has an Ikea and cheap super markets so for someone who lives in central London it is shopping heaven.

It could do with some work, and work is probably been done, it may take over a decade but like most places in London they're getting done up. Tottenham Regeneration: Haringey Council

Mind you a billion pounds is quite small for a regeneration in London which shows that comparatively the level of the problem isn't that bad. Now I know this is far fetched, but come the 2040s it'll be nice. Crossrail 2 etc making the place more connected.
Oi! Edmonton has the Ikea, it's only called Tottenham to avoid confusion with the Canadian Edmonton Ikea.

Speaking as someone who comes in from another part of the country to watch games I much prefer going to see Spurs in Tottenham. Quite aside from the fact it's home i think it's far more vibrant and interesting than Wembley, which I thought was quite a boring area tbh.

As for the wider city never lived in London but from the SE so visited literally hundreds of times. It wouldn't be my no 1 choice as a place to live but it is undoubtedly one of the world's great cities with plenty to offer. We're (UK) lucky to have it.

Back
Top Bottom