Tottenham (the area)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was just wondering what it means to you all? Is it just that shithole where we happen to be based or do you see it as an integral part of the club's identity?

I know a lot of our fans don't come from London (or even the UK) let alone N17, but I see the area as a vital part of who we are. For me we are a North London club and that is more important than the type of football we play, for example. I don't think anyone is any less of a Spurs fan if they live far from Tottenham or London, but I've always felt that, despite the fact that the area has seen better days, it's our manor and it belongs just as much to us (the fans) as to local residents. Right now I am both as I have lived in Tottenham for the last 1.5 years. It's well known that there are lots of gooners here now sadly, but there are still a lot of yids who live here too, if not as much as places like Enfield. But even when I didn't live here I felt a love for the area, its pubs, streets, restaurants etc, because it's OURS. And I'd much rather have a run down area like Tottenham than play in an upper class area as in Chelski or the goons. It goes without saying I was passionately against the Stratford move and if the club had moved there my relationship with the club would have been sorely tested.

Interested to hear your opinions?
My parents used to live there in 70s/80s and that's a big reason why my dad and I support spurs. However I've only ever gone to games. Yes its got a reputation as a bad part of London, but it feels no worse than any of a dozen places I could mention, many of which are supposed to be more desirable. I love walking around the area in match day, though as others have said I wouldn't choose to bring up kids there any more.
On another note, while I know Islington- with the Angel and so on, is pricey and desirable, Finsbury Park home to the Emirates is an utter dump!

I've always lived in East London/Essex, but THFC should always be in Tottenham, no question. I have never lived in particularly posh areas, and Romford is no better. Yes it really needs a good clean up, but it may help if the residents felt some pride in their surroundings, by for example keeping their gardens clear of rubbish. The walk down from the ground to Seven Sisters is frankly a disgrace, I saw so much crap it was unbelievable - the numerous fast food outlets need to do more in trying to keep the area free of litter. Also, the council need to reinforce anti-litter rules and not just on match day. The football club can only do so much. I would fear for local businesses if the Club would ever decide to relocate.

It's undeniably a shabby area, but I've always liked the place, many good memories, family live there and it's the location of my football team.

Wouldn't mind living there, but it's by no mean somewhere I'm desperate to move to.

I have fond memories of Tottenham, ( the area ) but I'm afraid that's all they are fond memories..

I only venture there on every other Saturday, oops I mean every other Sunday, nowadays.. It breaks my heart walking up and down the High Road..
It's dirty and manky and 80% of the takeaway shops down there should be closed down for hygiene reasons.

The new places built due to the riots and fires have improved it somewhat but it's still in need of an improvement and upgrade.

It's not exclusive to Tottenham though, there are many parts of London which are the same.

The huge community spirit that used to exist in these places has long gone.

The area around the stadium and from seven sisters to silver street is an absolute shambles and I won't often want to venture there off match days. Wood Green is alright, though for living etc.
Personally I live in the safe haven of South West London and the worst I see here are rowdy Doctors after too many pink champagnes (Chelsea wankers everywhere, though).

Isn't there supposed to be a big plan to regenerate the whole area? Not just the new ground for us, but lots of other projects all over the area. Or is that all off?
Yes. And the way London is going, it is probably only a matter of time before it is gentrified. Already the Beehive has reopened as a kind of hipster pub that serves lobster and cask ales. I will be pleased for the people who live there if the area improves, but I wouldn't want it to lose its identity and become full of hipsters.

Stayed in the near of Bruce Grove three times. It's not as dodgy/shithole as most of the lads I spoke to say. One mate of mine walked back alone in the middle of the night from a pub in the near of WHL to our appartment. He was shitdrunk and wouldn't listen to us to take a cab. We hugged and said goodbye to him since we thought he might get stabbed in one of the parks he walked through. But he made it. Twice.

The way I describe it is like a 3rd world country, it is very cheap, this doesn't mean it as bad. I have no problem going when it isn't a match day, it has an Ikea and cheap super markets so for someone who lives in central London it is shopping heaven.

It could do with some work, and work is probably been done, it may take over a decade but like most places in London they're getting done up. Tottenham Regeneration: Haringey Council

Mind you a billion pounds is quite small for a regeneration in London which shows that comparatively the level of the problem isn't that bad. Now I know this is far fetched, but come the 2040s it'll be nice. Crossrail 2 etc making the place more connected.

Forgot to add. When a group of people are trying to sell you drugs and you say you've no interest they are very kind and tell you to have a goodnight and stuff. One of them even gave me a coupon for a pizza place a few streets further.

:levywhoa:

I lived in New Southgate for a couple of years. Never used to like waiting about for the 34 bus from Silver Street, even on matchday but then the immediate area around there is in the top 1% for deprived areas in London including violent crime etc. That said, never had any actual problems and actually often felt more intimidated near North Middx Hospital and down my own road (Palmers Road).

I can see the area around Seven Sisters becoming gentrified over the next few years. From WHL up towards Silver Street though, nope.

I think in areas where every fucker is dodgy people who use their wits tend to get left alone. Noone knows what each other is on and what their up to :nare:.

Would I want to live there with family? No. But wouldn't feel right if we moved out of the area and ended up playing in a retail park or something. Anyone who has ever been to Wigan or Bolton knows how shit it is as a football experience.

Last edited:
I used to live on White Hart Lane and the problem with Tottenham is that it's become a ghetto. Having also lived in Edmonton, Enfield Lock, Enfield Town and Palmers Green I can say with absolute certainty that central Tottenham is by far the worst of those places. Even though I lived there, I have no attachment to the area other than Spurs and the buzz that the place gets on match-days. On non-match days I'd argue there's more Woolwich fans around than Spurs fans these days, which I put down to the greater appeal Woolwich appears to have within the afro carribean communities.

I love Spurs. I even moved to Tottenham to be closer to the club, but other than some fond memories and some of the pubs and restaurants (well, kebab shops) there, I really really can't find many up-sides of the place.

My parents used to live there in 70s/80s and that's a big reason why my dad and I support spurs. However I've only ever gone to games. Yes its got a reputation as a bad part of London, but it feels no worse than any of a dozen places I could mention, many of which are supposed to be more desirable. I love walking around the area in match day, though as others have said I wouldn't choose to bring up kids there any more.
On another note, while I know Islington- with the Angel and so on, is pricey and desirable, Finsbury Park home to the Emirates is an utter dump!

I live in Finsbury Park, it isn't the dump it was even five years ago. It is a fucking tragedy that them lot are here, too but there is loads of good juicers, restaurants, new theatre, Clissold Park is well nice.

Aside from the actual station and immediate surrounding there is a reputation that Finsbury Park is shaking off.

As for Tottenham; it will change. Walthamstow has gentrified, Leyton won't be far off...

Aside from the actual station and immediate surrounding there is a reputation that Finsbury Park is shaking off.

Agreed with this. Finsbury Park has ridiculously good transport links. Old Street / Moorgate in less than 10 mins. Victoria Line and Piccadilly Line (both set to be 24 hour tube lines). You can even get to Stevenage in 19 minutes :gazza:.

Finsbury Park itself is now a regular spot for high profile gigs (Stone Roses / Arctic Monkeys). It's a matter of time before the rough bits get smoothed out there by the effect of Stoke Newington, Highbury, Crouch End etc IMO

Agreed with this. Finsbury Park has ridiculously good transport links. Old Street / Moorgate in less than 10 mins. Victoria Line and Piccadilly Line (both set to be 24 hour tube lines). You can even get to Stevenage in 19 minutes :gazza:.

Finsbury Park itself is now a regular spot for high profile gigs (Stone Roses / Arctic Monkeys). It's a matter of time before the rough bits get smoothed out there by the effect of Stoke Newington, Highbury, Crouch End etc IMO

Can get direct to York from Finsbury park in 2hours.

That is my usual route to the lane.

Station and around it is shite though.

I live in Finsbury Park, it isn't the dump it was even five years ago. It is a fucking tragedy that them lot are here, too but there is loads of good juicers, restaurants, new theatre, Clissold Park is well nice.

As for Tottenham; it will change. Walthamstow has gentrified, Leyton won't be far off...

This is it, you initially think that gentrification will help poorer areas get better but then there's the problem that it drives house prices up making the costs of living for people already living there too expensive.

I used to live on White Hart Lane and the problem with Tottenham is that it's become a ghetto. Having also lived in Edmonton, Enfield Lock, Enfield Town and Palmers Green I can say with absolute certainty that central Tottenham is by far the worst of those places. Even though I lived there, I have no attachment to the area other than Spurs and the buzz that the place gets on match-days. On non-match days I'd argue there's more Woolwich fans around than Spurs fans these days, which I put down to the greater appeal Woolwich appears to have within the afro caribbean cimmunites

I love Spurs. I even moved to Tottenham to be closer to the club, but other than some fond memories and some of the pubs and restaurants (well, kebab shops) there, I really really can't find many up-sides of the place.

Tottenham can feel quite intimidating when you're not there on a matchday or if you're early or late on a matchday and away from the main crowd of Spurs fans. Some bloke was walking behind sneaking up to me and the missus on the High Road walking to the Dnipro home game last year and he left us alone after we turned and spoke to him which makes you wonder if things could easily have turned nasty. Situations like that are absolutely not exclusive to Tottenham though by any means.

I used to live on White Hart Lane and the problem with Tottenham is that it's become a ghetto. Having also lived in Edmonton, Enfield Lock, Enfield Town and Palmers Green I can say with absolute certainty that central Tottenham is by far the worst of those places. Even though I lived there, I have no attachment to the area other than Spurs and the buzz that the place gets on match-days. On non-match days I'd argue there's more Woolwich fans around than Spurs fans these days, which I put down to the greater appeal Woolwich appears to have within the afro carribean communities.

In my experience we have a lot of support from the afro-carribean community in Tottenham, at least among the older ones who settled in the 70s and their descendants. It's the newer waves of immigrants, who've arrived since the goons have been the better team, who tend to pick the scum.

Back
Top Bottom