Tottenham (the area)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Closest thing to any trouble I've ever had in the area was after the Stoke game a couple of seasons back, it was a week-night game and we went back to the Bell and Hare after. When we left a couple of kids tried to mug us for our phones, they were only about 16, we just laughed and walked off.

Do pubs such as the Bricklayers open on non match days? If so do many locals use the pubs ? Seems like every match day there's about 30 locals all around the roulette machines in the bookies

Do pubs such as the Bricklayers open on non match days? If so do many locals use the pubs ? Seems like every match day there's about 30 locals all around the roulette machines in the bookies
Bricklayers is open non-matchdays for sure. Think of the local ones it is one of the busiest. Gilpin Bell would always be open (Wetherspoons). I think a few of the others will be closed, e.g. Bill Nic would only open for a matchday or a screening

Having never actually been there, I'm curious. Some people have described Tottenham as "working class," but all of the descriptions make it sound much more like it's just hood/ghetto. More people slinging rock than people just working hard at menial jobs. I say this because what I think of as a working class neighborhood usually has a bit of a crime problem, but all in all the community is just too busy working to have the time to be robbing and stealing.

I'm proud of my Tottenham roots myself as my Grandad was from the area and moved up the A10 as part of the London overspill in the 50s and early 60s.
I use to enjoy hearing the stories about what use to on back in the day.
I remember being a kid and he took me to some of the area and pointed out different shops,cafes and dance halls that he use to frequent.
I think though the problem is that over the last 20 years there have been the obvious flashpoints,riots social services scandal etc which obviously has put Tottenham in the spotlight.
It is a rough area and potentially dangerous no doubt with gangs and crack dealing but also alot of work is being done to improve the area.
The worse thing that could ever happy imo is for the club to leave the area all together as massively disastrous for the local economy.

Having never actually been there, I'm curious. Some people have described Tottenham as "working class," but all of the descriptions make it sound much more like it's just hood/ghetto. More people slinging rock than people just working hard at menial jobs. I say this because what I think of as a working class neighborhood usually has a bit of a crime problem, but all in all the community is just too busy working to have the time to be robbing and stealing.

It's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone always talks about how bad it is but when I got here it definitely didn't match up. It is bad for London, but compared to bad spots in American cities (like Chicago where I'm from) it isn't really comparable.

Ultimately, London as far as I can tell has been so gentrified it doesn't have too many really bad areas. Tottenham (at least the main parts I've been to) is a little run down and you wouldn't want to be wandering around alone in the middle of the night but it is hardly terrifying.

I think it's both working class and ghetto. Unemployment is only 6.8%, which is the highest in London but still not that bad. I think it's a fairly safe area to live in unless you are personally caught up in gang culture. Though if you are a black male growing up here it's quite hard not to get caught up in it, many are seen as fair game even if they don't want to be involved. Also, Tottenham is quite big so it varies depending on which part you are talking about.

It's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone always talks about how bad it is but when I got here it definitely didn't match up. It is bad for London, but compared to bad spots in American cities (like Chicago where I'm from) it isn't really comparable.

Ultimately, London as far as I can tell has been so gentrified it doesn't have too many really bad areas. Tottenham (at least the main parts I've been to) is a little run down and you wouldn't want to be wandering around alone in the middle of the night but it is hardly terrifying.
Good post.

I think it's both working class and ghetto. Unemployment is only 6.8%, which is the highest in London but still not that bad. I think it's a fairly safe area to live in unless you are personally caught up in gang culture. Though if you are a black male growing up here it's quite hard not to get caught up in it, many are seen as fair game even if they don't want to be involved. Also, Tottenham is quite big so it varies depending on which part you are talking about.

Your right about the gang culture as it can be fairly easy to get sucked into the gang culture but I've been stuck in Tottenham after a trip to the pleasure rooms and been absolutely smashed out of my head and been okay.
I have had more problems in wana be towns like Cambridge and Haverhill where you get spotty little gob shites who pretend to be gangsters.
Not saying that it is totally safe of course.
In fact I missed the bloody train after parmesan game so ended having to walk about for a bit but you do have to be on top of your game.

Spot on JDK. Reliable, safe public transport, and decent pubs. Tottenham is 'earthy' rather than ultra violent, and it's refreshing to hear a new (though very welcome) visitor to these shores say so. Cheers.

Your right about the gang culture as it can be fairly easy to get sucked into the gang culture but I've been stuck in Tottenham after a trip to the pleasure rooms and been absolutely smashed out of my head and been okay.
I have had more problems in wana be towns like Cambridge and Haverhill where you get spotty little gob shites who pretend to be gangsters.
Not saying that it is totally safe of course.
In fact I missed the bloody train after parmesan game so ended having to walk about for a bit but you do have to be on top of your game.
Agree. I live in Tottenham and have walked around plenty at night on my own with no problems. Strangely, and similarly to your own experience, I encountered more problems in Palmers Green (where I lived before). I think maybe gangs who try and mug you often go to nicer areas because they think they'll get something better from the people who live there. In Tottenham I blend in pretty well as I tend to wear a hoodie, jeans and old, battered trainers...unless I am going too or from work (and I live next to the tube). Maybe if someone in a load of designer gear got their Iphone out in a dark alley at night they would have problems here!

Agree. I live in Tottenham and have walked around plenty at night on my own with no problems. Strangely, and similarly to your own experience, I encountered more problems in Palmers Green (where I lived before). I think maybe gangs who try and mug you often go to nicer areas because they think they'll get something better from the people who live there. In Tottenham I blend in pretty well as I tend to wear a hoodie, jeans and old, battered trainers...unless I am going too or from work (and I live next to the tube). Maybe if someone in a load of designer gear got their Iphone out in a dark alley at night they would have problems here!
Yeah, look poor and tough, and if you can't look tough, look poor. But be tough (or fast), but don't look rich - even if you're all three. :nawty:

The most dangerous thing I've seen so far is foxes.
Wouldn't want to passout drunk in a dark alley covered in sausage meat, let me tell you!

I'm naturally daggy but also have been using the phone a bit in the streets. I'll let you know if anything happens.

Tottenham always had decent pubs the 2 brewers in Scotland green was a favourite of mine. Remember a collusal night in there with some kaiserslaughton fans.(please forgive the spelling)

We use to have a office in Tottenham and the antwerp was always good for an after work cheeky pint.

Back in the day I use to go clubbing in the roxy. A real hitman and her vibe I.E shite but good fun.

Spot on JDK. Reliable, safe public transport, and decent pubs. Tottenham is 'earthy' rather than ultra violent, and it's refreshing to hear a new (though very welcome) visitor to these shores say so. Cheers.
This is a paid public announcement on behalf of the Tottenham Tourist Bureau!:rolleyes:

Tottenham always had decent pubs the 2 brewers in Scotland green was a favourite of mine. Remember a collusal night in there with some kaiserslaughton fans.(please forgive the spelling)

We use to have a office in Tottenham and the antwerp was always good for an after work cheeky pint.

Back in the day I use to go clubbing in the roxy. A real hitman and her vibe I.E shite but good fun.

That's going back a bit I was at that game.
Was in the pleasure rooms that night with my girlfriends uncle at the time.Strippers were something special.

That's it really - the whole of London has changed so much over the last 20 years.

Tottenham is one that was very bad, is now a little better, but through lack of government investment, inferior transport connections and just never being trendy has been left a bit behind in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom