Tottenham (the area)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I lived in New Southgate for a couple of years. Never used to like waiting about for the 34 bus from Silver Street, even on matchday but then the immediate area around there is in the top 1% for deprived areas in London including violent crime etc. That said, never had any actual problems and actually often felt more intimidated near North Middx Hospital and down my own road (Palmers Road).

Some dodgy estates there.

Near to there- Waterside Way, the other side of Ferry Lane. Spitting distance from where Mark Duggan was shot. I seem to recall you saying you used to live in Bruce Grove?

I did for a short while. Also lived in Wood Green, Bounds Green, Southgate and Lordship Lane(N17). Went to a few viewings on Bream Close. Nice enough area and the transport links are brilliant. Is that pub Ferry boat Inn still there?

Bruce castle park is packed with them. Only spotted red shirts init.
True, but if(and thats a big if) we had a couple of good seasons(better than the goons) we would win many of them back.They are mainly first generation immigrants who are latching onto the most succesfull team in the area(or going for man u).After out little champions league adventure a few years back,the amount of spurs shirts on young kids went up dramatically

I did for a short while. Also lived in Wood Green, Bounds Green, Southgate and Lordship Lane(N17). Went to a few viewings on Bream Close. Nice enough area and the transport links are brilliant. Is that pub Ferry boat Inn still there?
Yes, Ferry Boat Inn is still there, my local. Agree it's a nice enough area and excellent transport links, it's very quick to get into Central London. I actually feel as safe here as I did in Palmers Green, though admittedly that changes if I walk through the estates leading to the High Road. Still, even there nothing has happened to me though whilst I was living in Palmers Green I was attacked once, mugged once and had another attempted mugging. You will know the area I grew up in very well considering the places you have lived.

Bounds Green is the centre of the universe and the Springfield Park Tavern is the centre of Bound Green..It's written in the Bible

I used to love going to the Springfield Park Tavern a few years back. It would stay open til I think 2 or 3am. I used to go there after the pubs in Palmers Green closed and get on the Kronenburg Blanc.
Its had a complete refurb .Your feet don't stick to the carpet anymore and you actually get girls in there now!!
All the old locals are still there though,so it hasn't been ruined

It's an interesting topic especially when you view it as oversea supporter (from a family who supports Tottenham from afar since 1950).
I think a football club is to a degree the spiritual property of its community and supporters (that's why I think every club should be 51% owned by a supporters co-op). With the white flight London had most of the old residents are now probably in Hertfordshire thus the community-club link is severed. Despite the fact I'm not British and will probably never live in Tottenham I feel like the club should take an active role in the community life of Tottenham and establish institutions to affirm the link. Plus, well a dump, Tottenham has the sociological traits the creates good footballer (ethnic variety and poverty). In the long run it could benefit the club to have a series of football academies in the area and links with the local schools (I think Tottenham should reserve a number of tickets in the new stadium to local youth) and harvest the talents in the future.
The problem is ENIC and levy don't give two fucks on the supporters so they certainly don't care for the area.

Bounds Green is the centre of the universe and the Springfield Park Tavern is the centre of Bound Green..It's written in the Bible

Ended up getting absolutely hammered in that pub with loads of other yids after coming back from the 4-4 draw at the Emirates. I was more of a Ranelagh regular back then though, not to mention The Nelson in Wood Green.

A bit harsh considering that THFC spend more money on their foundation than any other Premier League club

Anyone in the area of southgate monday - friday? The amount of students from the nearby college in spurs tracksuits.not sure if they are apprentcies or local kids the club are paying through College.Both male and females.Any given lunch time Chas's cafe just behind the station is full of them.Nice seeing all those spurs tracksuits though,even if they can be a pain when i'm trying to order my full English ;) Proves that the club are putting something back into the community

Anyone in the area of southgate monday - friday? The amount of students from the nearby college in spurs tracksuits.not sure if they are apprentcies or local kids the club are paying through College.Both male and females.Any given lunch time Chas's cafe just behind the station is full of them.Nice seeing all those spurs tracksuits though,even if they can be a pain when i'm trying to order my full English ;) Proves that the club are putting something back into the community
They are mostly local kids the club is helping through College. I asked one of them about it, turned out he was a gooner!

It's an interesting topic especially when you view it as oversea supporter (from a family who supports Tottenham from afar since 1950).
I think a football club is to a degree the spiritual property of its community and supporters (that's why I think every club should be 51% owned by a supporters co-op). With the white flight London had most of the old residents are now probably in Hertfordshire thus the community-club link is severed. Despite the fact I'm not British and will probably never live in Tottenham I feel like the club should take an active role in the community life of Tottenham and establish institutions to affirm the link. Plus, well a dump, Tottenham has the sociological traits the creates good footballer (ethnic variety and poverty). In the long run it could benefit the club to have a series of football academies in the area and links with the local schools (I think Tottenham should reserve a number of tickets in the new stadium to local youth) and harvest the talents in the future.
The problem is ENIC and levy don't give two fucks on the supporters so they certainly don't care for the area.
I agree with much of what you wrote but also agree with Norwegian Yid in that I think one of the few positives about Levy/ENIC is that they have put quite a lot of money into the area, especially into disadvantaged youths. At the same time they were, of course, happy to abandon the area entirely. Also, like you say Tottenham is a hotbed of potential football talent which is why questions have to be asked about the lack of local lads making it through to the first team.

Page 10 of this weeks Time Out Magazine...

Great Bits of London #25 Tottenham

Shouts to White Hart Lane, Tottenham Marshes, Puebilto Palsa, Gokyuzu, Antepilier, Wildes, The Banc, San Marco, Beehive, Breavertwon Brewery Tap Room, Markfield Park, Ferry Boat Pub and Bruce Castle Museum

:adethumbup:

From Aussie I went to Tottenham and WHL this time last year for the first time. Many Spurs expats now living in Oz said not the best area - being polite.
I however was not put off, I liked the area and can't wait to get back.
Also congratulations to THFC for what they are doing in the local community.
I am very proud to be a member of one of THFC's supporter clubs.

Back
Top Bottom