Tottenham Hotstats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good read if a little long winded
Worth a read though, since it explains a bit of why things are working in Leicester now, and at Spurs as well.

It's also interesting because Rob is the kind of laptop guy Tim Sherwood decries so much, expect that Rob also extensively scouts in person to see if his data matches his eye test...

Worth a read though, since it explains a bit of why things are working in Leicester now, and at Spurs as well.

It's also interesting because Rob is the kind of laptop guy Tim Sherwood decries so much, expect that Rob also extensively scouts in person to see if his data matches his eye test...
FWIW Sherwood actually thinks we have our scouting spot-on (although he is talking specifically Mitchell).
The most effective partnerships of manager and head scout, Sherwood says, are those like the one between Pochettino and Paul Mitchell, Spurs’ head of recruitment, formerly of Southampton, and someone whom Sherwood rates highly. Mitchell does the legwork for his manager and knows exactly what he is looking for, but that approach is becoming ever more rare.

“These modern guys don’t want to be called scouts, they want to be called anything but,” Sherwood says. “The old guard – the foot soldiers – are still known as scouts. They are out there trailing around parks watching kids’ football. The new guys don’t want to go Fleetwood Town. They might not even get a cup of tea. When they go to Manchester United or the top leagues in Europe they get looked after. They get the blankets over their knees, and a nice cappuccino.

“Some of the best scouts haven’t been players but they have to have a relationship with the manager. They have to be a second pair of eyes for him, especially the head scout. Paul Mitchell is trusted by Mauricio to be his eyes and when he flags one up I bet he is never far out. Mitch is working closely with Daniel Levy [Tottenham chairman]. At the moment they have got it spot on. Not only do they have an identity on the pitch of how they want to play, they have it right in the background. That’s why they will continue to be stable.

For the rest of the article:
Tim Sherwood: It's not seen as sexy to sign players from lower leagues

FWIW Sherwood actually thinks we have our scouting spot-on (although he is talking specifically Mitchell).
The most effective partnerships of manager and head scout, Sherwood says, are those like the one between Pochettino and Paul Mitchell, Spurs’ head of recruitment, formerly of Southampton, and someone whom Sherwood rates highly. Mitchell does the legwork for his manager and knows exactly what he is looking for, but that approach is becoming ever more rare.

“These modern guys don’t want to be called scouts, they want to be called anything but,” Sherwood says. “The old guard – the foot soldiers – are still known as scouts. They are out there trailing around parks watching kids’ football. The new guys don’t want to go Fleetwood Town. They might not even get a cup of tea. When they go to Manchester United or the top leagues in Europe they get looked after. They get the blankets over their knees, and a nice cappuccino.

“Some of the best scouts haven’t been players but they have to have a relationship with the manager. They have to be a second pair of eyes for him, especially the head scout. Paul Mitchell is trusted by Mauricio to be his eyes and when he flags one up I bet he is never far out. Mitch is working closely with Daniel Levy [Tottenham chairman]. At the moment they have got it spot on. Not only do they have an identity on the pitch of how they want to play, they have it right in the background. That’s why they will continue to be stable.

For the rest of the article:
Tim Sherwood: It's not seen as sexy to sign players from lower leagues
yeah, I read that. It's interesting he's willing to say that now.

The reality is that all clubs are mixing data and in-person scouting. The difference is in how much of either and how good are the people you've hired (which is true of any business).

There's even data on the lower leagues. Just not as much, and a lot of clubs have a "not invented here" mindset on English talent. Of course, you could also fault the FA and lower league clubs for failing to take advantage of the way the game changed to better sell their players and clubs.

Tbh when I read it my mind never made a connection between the Leicester we currently have and was just considering the Leicester we all remember, decent championship side. So yeah there could be even more to all this analysis work

Tbh when I read it my mind never made a connection between the Leicester we currently have and was just considering the Leicester we all remember, decent championship side. So yeah there could be even more to all this analysis work
A lot of good clubs invest a lot of money in it, and they're generally the ones winning trophies and/or over-achieving...

That's an interesting table Jsus...I've always maintained 76pts (2pts ave/game) were needed to ensure a team's top four qualification.
MC's projection has only the top 2 reaching that target, and then, only just.
Gonna be tight this year....
He's projecting this to be the lowest achieving top 4 since the mid-1990s. It could be. I think the issue is that no one's really taken off as a class act this year. Woolwich are crocked as usual, City are nothing without Aguero, and United under LVG are just horrific. There is no really good team. Which is also great for us.

Back
Top Bottom