Tottenham Hotstats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Juicy Sushi

Evil Numbers Enthusiast
Ok, so as per a very good suggestion by Joe Clash Joe Clash I'm starting a thread to contain the pollution of stats/analytics discussion in other threads, while making sure it was visible enough that people were aware of it.

We have another, generic thread on the general football section: Evil Number Wizards Taking the Fun Out of the Game, and paddy spur paddy spur and I have made ourselves look silly by trying to predict the league here: The model versus Paddy's gut

If you are interesting in stats, and would like to know where to go for actually intelligent use of them, good places are StatsBomb , Analytics FC , HOME , Objective Football Blog , 11tegen11 and Football in the Clouds . Statsbomb and Analytics FC both do podcasts as well, with Analytics FC doing one with Damien Comolli this week. Statsbomb is also good because it links directly to Paul Riley's expected goals and chance creation maps for the Premier League.

Michael Caley is probably the most prominent Spurs-related stats guy, and he's easiest to keep track of via twitter (@MC_of_A), since he publishes at various places, irregularly.

If you think all of this stuff is complete bullshit, that's totally alright, and no one would ever suggest that this stuff is mandatory to an enjoyment of the game (actually, the complete opposite at times), but if you think they're completely without merit, then give this video a watch (it changed Alan Shearer's mind):

Ok, so as per a very good suggestion by Joe Clash Joe Clash I'm starting a thread to contain the pollution of stats/analytics discussion in other threads, while making sure it was visible enough that people were aware of it.

We have another, generic thread on the general football section: Evil Number Wizards Taking the Fun Out of the Game, and paddy spur paddy spur and I have made ourselves look silly by trying to predict the league here: The model versus Paddy's gut

If you are interesting in stats, and would like to know where to go for actually intelligent use of them, good places are StatsBomb , Analytics FC , HOME , Objective Football Blog , 11tegen11 and Football in the Clouds . Statsbomb and Analytics FC both do podcasts as well, with Analytics FC doing one with Damien Comolli this week. Statsbomb is also good because it links directly to Paul Riley's expected goals and chance creation maps for the Premier League.

Michael Caley is probably the most prominent Spurs-related stats guy, and he's easiest to keep track of via twitter (@MC_of_A), since he publishes at various places, irregularly.

If you think all of this stuff is complete bullshit, that's totally alright, and no one would ever suggest that this stuff is mandatory to an enjoyment of the game (actually, the complete opposite at times), but if you think they're completely without merit, then give this video a watch (it changed Alan Shearer's mind):

I didn't say pollution lol! I think centralise was the word l used. Anyway, good man.

Good stuff Jsus...a few points guys (and gals)....
I'm not a stat fanatic, most of the time I simply use various sites after the match to confirm what I thought I saw, for the simple reason, that what
the eye sees is not always what the brain recalls.
Secondly, we have a coach who is of the 'new generation' and there is, therefore, a purpose behind the instruction to "run abaht abit" and I find it interesting to study
the patterns our stats can reveal in an effort to understand Poch and his methods.
Lastly, it's comforting (at least for me) to back an opinion with facts.

Brazil kit!!! :avbnaa:

Other than that kid deserves a pat on the back as I agree 100% about the Pikies. But I didn't need stats to tell me that.

Like others have said stats are good to back up what you saw.

If anyone wishes to review the financial state of our club then the following site has all the stats you could wish for....
The Swiss Ramble: Tottenham Hotspur

"It will not have escaped the supporters’ attention that all this tinkering at the top has only resulted in worsening league positions: 4th in 2012, 5th in 2013, 6th in 2014 and (currently) 7th in 2015."

Errr we finished 5th last year the cheeky cunts.

Edit: It's outdated that article (April) hence the confusion :dierpochhug:

"It will not have escaped the supporters’ attention that all this tinkering at the top has only resulted in worsening league positions: 4th in 2012, 5th in 2013, 6th in 2014 and (currently) 7th in 2015."

Errr we finished 5th last year the cheeky cunts.

Edit: It's outdated that article (April) hence the confusion :dierpochhug:
He can only analyze once a year LTS, whenever we publish our accounts.

I'm continuing to focus on what I think is a change in tactics by Poch this season.
The player position map below again shows us concentrating our attack down route one...
g1xO8ft.png

and, as a result, we're getting more shots off in the box...
Ei8hEqa.png

not only that, most of them are coming from in front of goal...
QhQC5d1.png

and if you need convincing...
Jj3AT3x.png

Gone are the days when our wide players headed for the byeline down by the corner flag only to see cross after cross defended with relative ease,
not to mention the resulting counter attacks by the opposition.
Still not convinced? Where was Walker when he scored?

I'm continuing to focus on what I think is a change in tactics by Poch this season.
The player position map below again shows us concentrating our attack down route one...
g1xO8ft.png

and, as a result, we're getting more shots off in the box...
Ei8hEqa.png

not only that, most of them are coming from in front of goal...
QhQC5d1.png

and if you need convincing...
Jj3AT3x.png

Gone are the days when our wide players headed for the byeline down by the corner flag only to see cross after cross defended with relative ease,
not to mention the resulting counter attacks by the opposition.
Still not convinced? Where was Walker when he scored?
This is why I feel like Townsend has no business being in our current squad. We don't play that type of football anymore.

Another stat site that I've recently come across...
Premier League table, stats, results, form and standings
Alot of 'hard data' here from which I've compiled the following...
aCCf7M1.png

We are a third of the way through the season.
What this table shows is how the current Top Ten teams have faired against each other so far.
Some pointers...
Only MANU & A'nal have maintained a 2pt. ave. in the league and, against their Top Ten rivals.
MANC have not done well against their Top Ten Rivals so far.
WHU surprisingly are 3rd but I remember seeing a regression graph somewhere (I think it was Jsus that posted) that they were
an extreme outlier when measured by xG so it will be interesting to see if they can maintain their position.
We sit in fourth and are basically parity with teams above us on points.
So what's the point of this table?
Well, it compliments such tables as current form (last 6 games for example) because it takes into account the strength
of the opposition when estimating the validity of a team's position.

If you prefer a doom and gloom narrative, here are reasons we won't get to the top 4:

If we do pull it off, it will be from a weaker base than anyone else. Our poor conversion in the first 10 games of this year sort of puts us behind the 8-ball.

Uh...who gives a fuck about those stats? We are 5th, two points behind Scum and Qatar United and Leicester leads the table.

If we are not in a position to make, what of Chavs, Victims and whoever else you may want to throw in. Everton, Spam, Saints, Palace etc.

Uh...who gives a fuck about those stats? We are 5th, two points behind Scum and Qatar United and Leicester leads the table.

If we are not in a position to make, what of Chavs, Victims and whoever else you may want to throw in. Everton, Spam, Saints, Palace etc.
See my initial post.

I post this for interest and stimulation of thought. And yes, if we're not in that position, it says a great deal about the chances of others, regardless of whatever hopes they may have.

Come on mate. Juice isn't saying that's gonna happen. Lighten up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom