Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have our best back 5 together again but are still conceding goals and plenty of chances. Should we be worried? Understat have us currently ranked 7th worst in the league for expected goals against (xGA).

Depends what we should be worried about.

Since we've had our back five together:

2-2 vs Man Utd. Two excellent finishes, fair enough.

1-0 vs City. Set piece.

3-2 vs Brentford. We gave them the ball for both goals.

2-2 vs Everton. Two set pieces

2-1 vs Brighton. Penalty.

So we've conceded 4 goals from open play from the last 8 conceded. And two of those were gifted to the opposition by Udogie.

I honestly think the defensive side of things gets blown way out of proportion. We are always going to concede chances, a) because that's football and b) we force teams to play down our wings knowing we can usually deal with their crosses and we don't want to give up the middle of the field.

But clear cut chances? I think we give up very few tbh.

I think a lot of this is down to Angeball rather than the quality of players we have.

Bang on.

We gift space down the flanks because it's better than gifting space through the middle. This is how Ange has always set his teams up. It's why van de Ven in particular is so impotent to the set up.

I imagine it's because he knows we can deal pretty well with crosses (cant remember too many crosses we've conceded from open play)

We've seen this pattern in other teams he's managed. For example, in his first season at Yokohama he ranked 2nd in the league for goals scored, but 3rd worst for goals conceded. But the next season he won the league. Hopefully something similar happens here, but I think we're going to continue to look a bit leaky whoever plays.

I don't think it'll change.

What should hopefully change is teams perception of us. We need to beat teams before they even arrive here. A fear factor which Liverpool and City hold over a lot of teams.

That should hopefully come when teams TRY to play against us and we blow them away through out fitness and ruthlessness. Something we haven't shown too often this season due to injuries, suspensions and squad depth not being at the level.

Depends what we should be worried about.

Since we've had our back five together:

2-2 vs Man Utd. Two excellent finishes, fair enough.

1-0 vs City. Set piece.

3-2 vs Brentford. We gave them the ball for both goals.

2-2 vs Everton. Two set pieces

2-1 vs Brighton. Penalty.

So we've conceded 4 goals from open play from the last 8 conceded. And two of those were gifted to the opposition by Udogie.

I honestly think the defensive side of things gets blown way out of proportion. We are always going to concede chances, a) because that's football and b) we force teams to play down our wings knowing we can usually deal with their crosses and we don't want to give up the middle of the field.

But clear cut chances? I think we give up very few tbh.

Bang on.

We gift space down the flanks because it's better than gifting space through the middle. This is how Ange has always set his teams up. It's why van de Ven in particular is so impotent to the set up.

I imagine it's because he knows we can deal pretty well with crosses (cant remember too many crosses we've conceded from open play)

I don't think it'll change.

What should hopefully change is teams perception of us. We need to beat teams before they even arrive here. A fear factor which Liverpool and City hold over a lot of teams.

That should hopefully come when teams TRY to play against us and we blow them away through out fitness and ruthlessness. Something we haven't shown too often this season due to injuries, suspensions and squad depth not being at the level.
Liverpool look wide open at times but I think they are still 2nd best defence in the league, one goal off Woolwich.

Liverpool look wide open at times but I think they are still 2nd best defence in the league, one goal off Woolwich.

Liverpool do an incredible job of limiting clear chances. One of the best teams of doing so that I can remember seeing. But it took Klopp years to get his team to that level.

We'll get better at it more consistently.

Liverpool do an incredible job of limiting clear chances. One of the best teams of doing so that I can remember seeing. But it took Klopp years to get his team to that level.

We'll get better at it more consistently.

Also have a freak keeper who outperforms his xg like us.

Out of the last 5 times we have played them at home in the league we have beat them 6-1 and 5-2.

Shittest bogey team ever!
We went 70 something years not winning at anfield!!

Saturday will be like taking candy from a baby and then having a quickie with the baby’s hot mum.
Sofia-Vergara-green-dress-cleavage.gif
Watching Modern Family currently. She's a worldie.

Cuhna out for the season, the Villa fella out for the season.
Just need a few key players from each of City, Arse, Pool and United out for the season and we can really have fun.

We have our best back 5 together again but are still conceding goals and plenty of chances. Should we be worried? Understat have us currently ranked 7th worst in the league for expected goals against (xGA).

I think a lot of this is down to Angeball rather than the quality of players we have. We've seen this pattern in other teams he's managed. For example, in his first season at Yokohama he ranked 2nd in the league for goals scored, but 3rd worst for goals conceded. But the next season he won the league. Hopefully something similar happens here, but I think we're going to continue to look a bit leaky whoever plays.
A lot of goals against us seem to come from daft mistakes and getting robbed of the ball in our own half.
Not often we get taken apart by a good passing move.
Biss back in front of the defence can only help.

Back
Top Bottom