Tottenham Hotspur vs The Bottling, Diving, Scummy Woolwich. Sun 28th April, 2:00pm kick-off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I swear to god if I hear the phrase...

"Tottenham seem surprised by how fast Woolwich have come out of the blocks today"...

Uttered by the commentators, I'm throwing the dog at the TV.

Seems like that's what they've said every game for the last 15 games.

I mean how the fuck can we not know that they're going to be supercharged and run their arses off at us for the first 20 minutes at least.

We start every game that way, half asleep with the handbrake on.

The only recent game that we started well was Forest at home and as soon as we scored we stopped playing. There is still a really weak mentality in our team that Ange hasn’t yet found a solution to. They never seem to be ready for battle.

Yeah, this game never seems right when it's not a game under the lights.

I hope the atmosphere is even as half as good as it was that day. They completely froze.

Something always seems to go wrong for us in the build up too. I suspect it will be missing both Porro (or he will be half fit) and Udogie and Ange won’t change our game so he will expect Emerson and Davies to do exactly the same job when they can’t. When we beat them 3 nil we had no problems before that game. Just went straight into it normally.

Sleep Yawn GIF

Not a problem.

We saw where all the positivity took us against Newvastle and Fulham.

I just look at the facts, take myself out of nepotistic hope snd gove a view.

Both teans play as they have been and we get swotted with barely a whimper.

Yawn or no yawn, that's what will happen.

Not a problem.

We saw where all the positivity took us against Newvastle and Fulham.

I just look at the facts, take myself out of nepotistic hope snd gove a view.

Both teans play as they have been and we get swotted with barely a whimper.

Yawn or no yawn, that's what will happen.

You’ve always been a boring, pessimistic, piss all over our club kind of poster.

Hence the yawn gif. Go post about something else.

Nobody needs to read you post the same view 10,0000 times.

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

Something always seems to go wrong for us in the build up too. I suspect it will be missing both Porro (or he will be half fit) and Udogie and Ange won’t change our game so he will expect Emerson and Davies to do exactly the same job when they can’t. When we beat them 3 nil we had no problems before that game. Just went straight into it normally.

Emerson and Davies playing are the least of our problems. They are both competent defensively and have done well enough when called on.

Our big names are the ones that worry me. Son, Sarr, Bissouma and Maddison have been terrible recently. We had our best defence playing in recent matches and we still got battered because the boys in front were abysmal.

Woolwich use Kiwior as a LB and they still win games because the rest of the team do their jobs well. There’s no excuse. I can always accept losing if we’ve put in maximum effort but the last few games we haven’t done that. The level of effort is far more important than the names on the team sheet.

Emerson and Davies playing are the least of our problems. They are both competent defensively and have done well enough when called on.

Our big names are the ones that worry me. Son, Sarr, Bissouma and Maddison have been terrible recently. We had our best defence playing in recent matches and we still got battered because the boys in front were abysmal.

Woolwich use Kiwior as a LB and they still win games because the rest of the team do their jobs well. There’s no excuse. I can always accept losing if we’ve put in maximum effort but the last few games we haven’t done that. The level of effort is far more important than the names on the team sheet.

Excellent post.

Not effort though. I think all those mentioned have simply been way off their optimum levels.

You can hope they play through it or as a manager you show that it's not good enough by dropping them.

The very very best managers care not a jot about names or reputation.

Woolwich have more than half a dozen players who have been above average all season. Not us. The difference.

I go into every game thinking we will win but this game terrifies me because of what the bastards might achieve. Hopefully the midweek games make me feel more optimistic going into Sunday. After Newcastle they all need to step up.

Excellent post.

Not effort though. I think all those mentioned have simply been way off their optimum levels.

You can hope they play through it or as a manager you show that it's not good enough by dropping them.

The very very best managers care not a jot about names or reputation.

Woolwich have more than half a dozen players who have been above average all season. Not us. The difference.

It is effort though. That’s our first issue. Newcastle gave maximum effort against us. Did we give our best effort? Of course not. We played harder with 9 men against Chelsea than we did with 11 against Newcastle.

Ange said after the game that we didn’t reach the level required to compete, so he clearly doesn’t think we gave maximum effort either. Nobody can complain about being tired, we have played hardly any matches this season. Our current challenge is to earn the right to play our football. Early in the season we did that by battling hard and imposing ourselves. Now we are trying to play the same football without the same aggression. That will never work.

You want to play high up in the opponents half with only two defenders back? Then you’d better be ready to die before you let the opponent win a loose ball.

It is effort though. That’s our first issue. Newcastle gave maximum effort against us. Did we give our best effort? Of course not. We played harder with 9 men against Chelsea than we did with 11 against Newcastle.

Ange said after the game that we didn’t reach the level required to compete, so he clearly doesn’t think we gave maximum effort either. Nobody can complain about being tired, we have played hardly any matches this season. Our current challenge is to earn the right to play our football. Early in the season we did that by battling hard and imposing ourselves. Now we are trying to play the same football without the same aggression. That will never work.

You want to play high up in the opponents half with only two defenders back? Then you’d better be ready to die before you let the opponent win a loose ball.

I think it's too simplistic am analysis, although it may provide some of the explanation.

Players lose form. It happens. When it's at the same time and when nobody drags them up or if average performances continue to be rewarded, rot sets in. Not saying it has but I would be really concerned if we had 16 games left to play as opposed to 6.

I will be very surprised if we get to the 66 points Villa are already on by the end of the season.

Postecoglou will need to put a few things right for next season, not solely dependent on the obvious 2 or 3 players that are clearly necessary.

I don’t think it’s effort but more the intensity of how we played. There was nothing aggressive about our play with and without the ball.
There was definitely something missing.

View: https://twitter.com/VipArsenal/status/1782166129424601457?t=y2G6VUfaeKNPyTFJCm_pEg&s=19

They did look leggy against Wolves.

I hope Chelsea can push them all the way in the week.

History tells us they'll bend over for them.

They will still have more energy than us.

It's honestly incredible how we can still seem lethargic compared to teams who have played significantly more games than us.

Villa have astounded me in the last 3 weeks. Just insane, whereas we have looked like we are in quicksand by comparison.

The traitor and his team won't offer much resistance against Woolwich and will be made to look like marathon elite runners by us. Put your money on it.

Least confident I've felt for a NLD in a long time.

Normally fancy us to nick it (even at theirs which we never do).

In the reverse fixture we had the surprise element with Postecoglu and probably should have won.

I'd bite your hand off for a draw now. Enough to derail their title bid.

Back
Top Bottom