Tottenham Hotspur vs Newcastle United Sunday 23rd October. 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Believe it or not,with the investment/new owners I'm sure the players know they are not there to fuck around. But I think it might be more to do with a modern football approach. Few of NUFC players out there today would have been wanted by folks on this board during the summer. That speaks to the manager.
Everyone crapping themselves that "Conte might walk....."...... "Conte might get upset"....... "Conte won't be happy"

What's the point of having an Elite manager if the excuses for him not succeeding are that he hasn't got Elite players.

Isn't he supposed to come up with a system to get the best out of his players abilities?

15 Mill for this crap?

I want him to succeed as much as anything, but I'm not going to worry and wet myself about "him" leaving "us".

Last edited:
I wasn’t going to go to the game but then a mate got two tickets and twisted my arm.

:contefacepalm2:

Everything I detest about modern football was on display today.

Everything.

- Billionaire sports washing of the very worst kind.
- Bent ref clearly paid by the Saudis.
- VAR delays.
- Timewasting and diving.
- Millionaires getting the basics wrong.

We started well but failed up front with our finishing, and then looked wooden for 75+ minutes.

The crowd actually tried to get behind the team in the second half but it really was a pitiful effort overall.

Trying to cure things with a massive curry and lots of alcohol.

At least the storm looked good from the stands.

Honestly, football can go fuck itself.
Yeah, nailed it really.

I've started going down and watching my local team rather than this Americanised wank.

With the Midfield we have think they would be more suited to pressing than trying to sit back all the time.

On spec (as I did before the game) I think Biss+Skipp+Bent or PEH has a nice blend and they've got legs for days......

Everyone crapping themselves that "Conte might walk....."...... "Conte might get upset"....... "Conte won't be happy"

What's the point of having an Elite manager if the excuses for him not succeeding are that he hasn't got Elite players.

Isn't he supposed to come up with a system to get the best out of his players abilities?

15 Mill for this crap?
He has come up with a system that gets the best out of his players, and that is overperforming with the players we have.

Might be far from pretty but if we were playing open expansive football with the likes of Dier, Davies, Royal, Sanchez we would have a lot less points on the board and would have been on the end of a good few proper wallopings by now.

Frankly its miraculous that we are sitting 3rd with Dier as our CB all season and the dogshit wingbacks we have.

15 Mill for this crap?
I agree with you in general, but I really can't blame him for today's result. How can a manager prevent what Dier and Lloris did today?

He has his faults of course, he should have tried different formations, and maybe looked to the academy for alternatives to some of the complete donkeys we have in the squad.

Lego hair man was finishing 8th the last few seasons, now he's top of the table, and that's mostly thanks to his players. Same applies to Pep etc.

Tweet of the day and spot on

What a load of crap.

Conte didn't bring about a massive upswing within 6 months last season?

Guimares is a player, but who else have they signed that peeps would have drooled over?

I remember Botman having a host of naysayers here......

Chris Wood? LOL

What a shit show (yet another….)

The players are, for the most part, severely lacking in bollocks. From Son’s must score fluff to Hugo’s gift (s), the wheel’s coming off spectacularly, a brief glimmer of hope (1-2 after 55mins), then next to no threat to Newcastle’s goal until the final minute.

The manager though? The sainted Conte (who we must all display gratitude to for choosing us and sticking with us despite him flashing his knickers at every other club) shoulders most blame here. Luddite anti-football, pantomime screaming on the touch line, baffling subs and even more baffling line ups (Emerson??).

Think we might have seen one of those games today where pundits/fans turn round in 2 months time to say, ‘it was the Newcastle game where things soured’

Still on my way home wondering why I fucking bother

Got totally soaked at HT (first time ever I've ventured outside the ground during the break... and wish I hadn't ...... Will never do that again!)

Spent the whole second half in the mac I didn't have time to put on during the biblical deluge! with my Spurs top draped over the crush barrier.... soaked and ruined!

On the plus side.........

There IS no plus side!

What a shit show (yet another….)

The players are, for the most part, severely lacking in bollocks. From Son’s must score fluff to Hugo’s gift (s), the wheel’s coming off spectacularly, a brief glimmer of hope (1-2 after 55mins), then next to no threat to Newcastle’s goal until the final minute.

The manager though? The sainted Conte (who we must all display gratitude to for choosing us and sticking with us despite him flashing his knickers at every other club) shoulders most blame here. Luddite anti-football, pantomime screaming on the touch line, baffling subs and even more baffling line ups (Emerson??).

Think we might have seen one of those games today where pundits/fans turn round in 2 months time to say, ‘it was the Newcastle game where things soured’

Still on my way home wondering why I fucking bother
Don’t worry though, we have a fan who thinks it’s funny that we turn up at games and get wet to watch a horrible defeat..

Teams haven't figured us out. For whatever reason we're making mistakes we didn't make last season. Lloris' howler per game has gone through the roof. Son can't finish sitter after sitter, even Kane a bit suspect on that front.

Dier went from a guy who doesn't tackle but at least keeps things ticking over in defence to a complete and utter liability.

It's not about being figured out or not, they're failing at many of the basic tasks of being a footballer.

Conte has his faults too don't get me wrong.
Players regressing is coaching. That’s literally his job is to improve players or get them out of the lineup.

I like Conte’s message .. we need to be more patient and provide him with time. I do often forget that he has only taken over the club in the middle of last season, he has really been here at Spurs a crazy short amount of time.

I want him to stay I really hope he doesn’t lose hope.
It's a very good point but I suspect he is facing an uphill battle. Our lack of a decent AM seems unimportant if playing 3 up front and 5 at the back (where wb 's start) so I can't see any big change during the window and frankly with the world Cup it's hard to see much movement full stop in terms of star players, this means he will seek to bring in yet more WB/fb plus another CB and maybe a more dynamic but still DM... Nothing will change - neither style or performance. Not sure we have the right manager player club combination

That's because every season you have to update the squad keep them fighting for their place. Update tactics and the way players play and push. Non of that has happened for us. Recruitment is awful and the areas we need to improve we still have total shite walking into the squad. Why have we still not looked at a young new keeper to challenge Hugo. Keep signing old has beens!!
I half agree but we brought in players. Bentancur, Kulu, Richarlison, Spence, Perisic and Skipp back from injury. The squad has changed since last year, we just don’t use all the players available.

The tactics have not changed.

I like Conte’s message .. we need to be more patient and provide him with time. I do often forget that he has only taken over the club in the middle of last season, he has really been here at Spurs a crazy short amount of time.

I want him to stay I really hope he doesn’t lose hope.

Exactly. Anyone calling for him to go in this fan base is an utter cunt without a clue about the game. He’s playing players like Dier, Sanchez and Davies in defence. Players we know aren’t good enough. Sessegnon who is repeatedly utter shite and Emerson and Doherty who are bottom half of the league players. And that’s before you get to our supposed big players who seem to let us down more than anyone when the going is tough.

Players regressing is coaching. That’s literally his job is to improve players or get them out of the lineup.
I agree with you. I feel he could do more coaching on basic technical skills, but Dier, Davies and co were playing at a much higher level last season under Conte.

We ended the season the third best team.

The complete collapse this season is hard to pin on just Conte, though he has his part to play.

Back
Top Bottom