Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just finished watching. Beyond lucky to only be down by 1. Too many negatives to list but at least Lamela looked great coming on. And although I was critical of Lloris previously, he did his fair share keeping them from scoring more.

Still in this tie and considering how last season went in the CL anything is possible. COYS

Look who was bought by Barca and UTD. There was simply no reasonable 9 to buy. Piątek and this Spanish one weren't great options. I got on hype train during window, but honestly, bench warmer from La Liga side?
Would that bench warmer be the top scorer for the past 4 years from a top 6 team with a strike rate of 0.47 per game? The one you've never seen play?

Would that bench warmer be the top scorer for the past 4 years from a top 6 team with a strike rate of 0.47 per game? The one you've never seen play?
His briliance and reliability must be the reason why he's bench warmer now. I knew Piątek since his time in Genoa, and if you checked my posts in his thread I was really worried if he's good option.

Imagine this....

You're the CEO of a big production company. You have a chance of securing a number of major contracts. Then your most important piece of machinery breaks down. Your back-up plan isn't a replacement piece of machinery but a patch, another machine which you can take from somewhere else and use as a stand-in.

But fear not. There's a window of opportunity in which you can get a substitute machine which will probably do a decent job. However, you fail to do so because the fair price that that supplier is asking for is above the cut-price you won't go over. So you're entirely reliant on a stand-in machine which could be doing a better job elsewhere. And of course, there's always the very real risk that this stand-in might have mechanical problems at some point.

Which it then does.

How do you think your shareholders would view your stewardship of this situation, your risk assessment and mitigation skills?

Bill mate I completely get that and what you say makes complete sense to me. the issue is this isn't a big production company, its football. It's not just an important piece of machinery, it's £40m, £50m deals of which aren't guaranteed to get the job done. Made of muscle and bone that can just like that pull or break. Big money wages that can have a knock on effect to the other players, the stink of the place etc.

I do think the club should have forked out, I really do but with Son there to work with and the need for him out wide cushioned with the Bergwijn signing, I do see why we opted not to in the end. Doesn't make it right or wrong I do think we should have, it's just wont beat the club up about doing what they did because I personally see the reason why the didn't in the end. It was a risk, its shit but it is how it is now.

We had 3-4 really good chances to score tonight. Bergwijn, Lo Celso, Lucas x2, another day if we play like we did we'll get the breaks but yes we are very short.

Last edited:
In all honesty, with no Kane or Son did or does anyone expect any different to us dropping no out against one of the best perfmroning teams in Germany at the moment?

I look past the Mourinho record of recent times and look at our circumstances. No striker it's a killer blow to lose Kane and Sonny. Can't get irate about what's in the lap of the gods

I'm struggling to see the heroic honour in that to be honest.

Their back 3/goalie cost about 5m total inc loan fees. Their midfield 4 cost 24m. the strikers cost 14m and a 650k loan fee.

Their whole starting 11 cost about 5m more than we paid fore one of our CB's. And they were missing some first choice players too. Their manager has about a 20th of the experience of ours.

Not having our main striker is not ideal, but that's not why we were comprehensively out played and couldn't string three passes together for an hour.

I'm not saying all is lost in this tie, or that Mourinho doesn't deserve some time etc, but I'm just struggling with the whole "poor us" thing.

Imagine this....

You're the CEO of a big production company. You have a chance of securing a number of major contracts. Then your most important piece of machinery breaks down. Your back-up plan isn't a replacement piece of machinery but a patch, another machine which you can take from somewhere else and use as a stand-in.

But fear not. There's a window of opportunity in which you can get a substitute machine which will probably do a decent job. However, you fail to do so because the fair price that that supplier is asking for is above the cut-price you won't go over. So you're entirely reliant on a stand-in machine which could be doing a better job elsewhere. And of course, there's always the very real risk that this stand-in might have mechanical problems at some point.

Which it then does.

How do you think your shareholders would view your stewardship of this situation, your risk assessment and mitigation skills?

The reality is the bigger picture is there is something which is being produced entirely unrelated to this company you mention though.

Eyes are on a different market altogether. Using different machinery.

And that’s performing beyond all expectations so having a bit of troublesome machinery is not too much of an issue as your customers will happily pay more for those goods anyway as you have a very captive audience .

Football is not ENICs main goal. That is clear to me. They even come out and say it. We really shouldn’t be surprised.

(Sad as it is by by not going I just look at tonight as £150 saved which I will put straight towards next seasons STs, it is becoming more and more like a business decision for me these days).

Look who was bought by Barca and UTD. There was simply no reasonable 9 to buy. Piątek and this Spanish one weren't great options. I got on hype train during window, but honestly, bench warmer from La Liga side?
Jose summed it up better than I've heard before:

"January is about being offered players by their agents"
"The Summer is about getting the players that you actually want"

Probably not word for word but I'm glad we didn't spend on some guy who isn't allowed to train with the first team in case his being sh*t spreads. Would be hard to notice.

Good points.

Walked straight up to the bar in the Olive branch an hour before kick off and got served immediately.

Atmosphere was decent considering the game.

Meeting the usual reprobates in the Dispensary before the game.

Lo Celso.

Bad points.

Everything else.

Still an hour until I get home. Four hours kip then up for work. Definition of a fickle fan.

Yes play the kids in a champions league game so we can save the first teamers for the premier league in order to qualify for the champions league.

Modern day Einstein this cunt.

To be fair there's been a large proportion on here declaring the season over at every turn this season; but now we shouldn't 'pick our battles' and focus on the acheivable because it suits a narrative and allows certain posters to be mocked?

This place is a real bag of cunts sometimes.

Guys.... it's the first game out without Sonny and Kane. Give the players some time to adjust and gel. When you lose two crucial players, it's only natural for things to not click as well as you'd want them to. Even if we did have a back-up caliber striker on our squad, I highly doubt it would have made that much of a difference. Maybe we get a goal today, maybe we don't. In hindsight, we're lucky in a lot of ways not having lost any crucial points and ground in the EPL standings. And... we're only down 0-1 to a beatable squad with a 2nd leg to go. We're not going away anytime soon, with or without a striker. Gotta believe.

BT pundits, even Hoddle were shithouse tonight.

No Kane, no Sissoko, No Son, Lamela could only help for 20 minutes, the same with Ndombele, we had 2 full days to recover and get 2 full days before we go again. You'd think ex pros like Lineker, Hoddle and Ferdinand would have a little empathy but it seems they went the snide route because we didn't make the most of a couple of decent chances and gave away a sloppy, individual mistake with the pen.

This one is far from over based on a few areas I saw this evening. Really unimpressed with BT and I think Mourinho was as well.
Rio never had a problem playing every two days.:nawty:

I'm struggling to see the heroic honour in that to be honest.

Their back 3/goalie cost about 5m total inc loan fees. Their midfield 4 cost 24m. the strikers cost 14m and a 650k loan fee.

Their whole starting 11 cost about 5m more than we paid fore one of our CB's. And they were missing some first choice players too. Their manager has about a 20th of the experience of ours.

Not having our main striker is not ideal, but that's not why we were comprehensively out played and couldn't string three passes together for an hour.

I'm not saying all is lost in this tie, or that Mourinho doesn't deserve some time etc, but I'm just struggling with the whole "poor us" thing.

I get that completely BC, they've done very well with smart signings and leverage off of the Salzburg roots they have. I've said all along a couple of big signings mixed with a few wheeler dealer ones is the right way to go. How Lo Celso wasn't chased when he went to Betis on loan initially I'll never know but it's where we find ourselves, we have to deal with it and see the positives that 5th gets Champions League, that we are a very winnable game away from the quarter finals of the FA Cup and that this tie is still only a goal game. Time to deal with it and see what the boys can do.

Imagine this....

Which it then does.

I imagine you'd have discussed it with the management team and agreed that was the way to go forward? No-one wants shitty old machinery lying around once the better one's working, having to pay for its ongoing maintenance and dealing with the whiny noise it makes when it never gets used, so you sometimes have to use it to make substandard things because otherwise it's going to sulk and go to the papers and you can't sell it on because it always was what it was - something not worth the money...

There's no way the January decision was made without all parties on board - that's how these massive companies work - your analogy misses that - even with the replacement machine - it's still only a 'chance of securing contracts' and, in the future, you'll be better placed to secure more valuable contracts, with a second, more impressive machine...

I love analogies.

Back
Top Bottom